Close

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Preybird View Post
    I've won games with DarkClaw even though I haven't gotten a WBT until I'm halfway through the deck, because I've played my hands properly and chosen which cards to sac wisely.
    Post the REP and 90% I can tell you the major reason just because the other side made mistakes or he/she has worse hand.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Giskard View Post
    Gtang, stop vomiting poop PLEASE.

You're disgusting everybody on the forum!
    Why? I am giving my idea and back up with something, what you do is actually disgusting. Everyone can see.

Can you say for everybody? Who post this thread first? Who keep post this type thread again, again and again here?

So, stop disgusting. Provide your point by facts.

-Edit by AnAdolt and removed quoted picture that had been removed by moderation-
    Last edited by AnAdolt; 07-05-2012 at 01:54 PM. Reason: edit by AnAdolt and removed quoted picture that had been removed by moderation

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Qtang View Post
    Post the REP and 90% I can tell you the major reason just because the other side made mistakes or he/she has worse hand.
    no this is incorrect, a properly built DC deck has enough board control and/or delay cards to be able to search through half their deck for their WBT.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Preybird View Post
    You will never eliminate luck from TCGs. That's just the way it is. However, in this game, having such small deck sizes, plus being able to pull moves such as being able to draw six cards for 4 resources (Double Bad Santa), means you can charge through your deck quick. And good players make use of what they have, and most importantly, sac correctly.

I've won games with DarkClaw even though I haven't gotten a WBT until I'm halfway through the deck, because I've played my hands properly and chosen which cards to sac wisely.
    You are absolute correct that you can never get rid of luck completely. It's just the nature of TCG, but you can minimize them. That's how pro Magic players build deck. That is why card like Diablo tutor or whatever it was called was thought of as strong/banned card (from what i can tell) because it essentially boosts your chance of drawing a specific card by factor of 2x i.e. minimize luck factor.

I am not saying game is sole based on the luck. Otherwise, I wouldn't play. There is tactics/strategy. But just as in other TCG there is luck factor, and I think that's what the opener is talking about. And this is just my personal opinion, but less luck factor better TCG is because that way you really say better play wins always like Chess, Go, Shogi or whatever. Obviously, some people won't like this as the luck factor (you don't know what you drawing) makes TCG different from other strategy game... So both way of argument I can see.

In particular, SE as you said is relatively fast paced game. So if you have truly bad opening hand, and get totally behind, catching up or turn the table around after turn 5-6 may not be as easy. So decreasing luck at this level I believe is helpful.

In any event, as you can tell I am personally less luck better believer so like to see Mulligan, more card draw/reshuffling abilities, perhaps like Tutor card in Magic so even Single card strategy type of deck flourish someday...
    Last edited by houshasen; 06-29-2012 at 01:46 AM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Armoek View Post
    no this is incorrect, a properly built DC deck has enough board control and/or delay cards to be able to search through half their deck for their WBT.
    So they always win because they have a nice DC deck? Tell me, why they lose?

Please read my statement, I stated very clear that, the game play is almost luck base on draw. Also, I always say that better players might come up with better deck, that's the reason they win more. But, the luck still play every important role because you can't get a big advantage on the deck building (people copy decks).

I never say that anyone just randomly put 40 card to a deck and can win the game because the game is pure luck.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Yes, in QM there's a lot of luck involved. That's why QM is total apeshit.

Let's take an example: The World Championship. That tournament was won by a Zhanna deck. You know why that was a good metagame call? Because popular tournament decks were becoming slower. Zhanna is good against slow decks, which means it was a good metagame call. Yes it would lose to a pure aggro deck. However, that pure aggro deck loses to so many of the popular decks so it's not profitable to run it. That's called a metagame. Yes there's a luck factor but that luck factor is the exact same as in every competitive sport or game.

Regarding deckbuilding, again, because QM is so shit, it's easy to just say that you don't get that much benefit from deckbuilding when in fact it's the most important part. Decks will not be the same and the one who came up with a winning deck will be better at playing that deck than some scrub who copied it. Good players also change their decks a lot, following the metagame and changing their cards accordingly. If you copy decks, you will fall behind and eventually not be able to win.
    Last edited by Airact; 06-29-2012 at 01:57 AM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    The problem is that you refused to accept the fact that better players win not just because of a good deck but also superior decision making.

Especially sacrifice choices. That's the key to the game, knowing what to sac despite having a crappy hand.

You are all raged up saying that you win and lose based on card given to you. But a good player will see the cards they have on their starting hand, evaluate their choices, make a decision of the likely deck composition of the opponent and play their cards with an understanding of how their next few turns card draw is like.

Which is the key point of Amoerk and preybird and many other ppl.

By attributing 90% of wins/ loss to cards you draw, you are cheapening the decision aspects of this game. That also shows that you have a shallow appreciation of this game strategy, because you only play the cards that you can see (on your hand and the opp board) and not the cards that you can't see (in your deck and in the opponent deck).
    Last edited by Atomzed; 06-29-2012 at 02:00 AM.
    A1's Mustard-Seed Knight of Hope (IGN:A1 atomzed)
    Also a member of PFG1 and PFG2
    Rank #7 in Inaugural Meltdown Tourney
    Singapore Rep for Street Fighter Tournament

"Rapid analysis, accurate judgement, and superb powers of concentration...That is all we need." - Lezard Valeth

Proud member of A1 - Evolution in Theory
    Project Omega - Card Analysis and Strategy Guide

My Articles
    Deck size and Probability - A case for (slightly) bigger deck
    Meltdown Tier and Payout Analysis

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    If this game is about lucking it, the rank 300+ players would be playing online hold 'ems instead.

Everything in life has an element of luck, be it good or bad, but you make your luck sometimes. For instance a 40 card deck containing uber 4 copies each of 6 cc allies and 7 cc items (as opposed to more useful 2/3 cc cards) is gonna probably bite you in the arse cos the likelihood of those cards appearing early game is higher.

If you obstinately stick to your own the view without any attempt to consider what the other posters have written, any further discussion on this issue is a waste of everyone's time.
    Guardian of the Riding Hoods
    Warrior of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn

CLICK HERE FOR INFORMATION ON OUR GUILD

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Luck exists everywhere and it does play a part in just about every game you can play.

Yes, luck exists in this game and it does play a factor. The cool thing about TCG's, is part of the skill is knowing how to minimize your "unluckiness" and deal with what you have been dealt. If the game played out the same every time it would be boring. This luck factor keeps the game interesting and even ups the skill level required because you have to know which moves are appropriate to make, what you have left in the deck, why should I play/sac this card, do I need it later on? and much much more.

Just because luck is in the game, doesn't make it unbalanced, unfair, or non-skill based. Luck plays a factor, but the problem here is that many of your are isolating luck itself from everything else. If you look at a much broader picture, luck isn't as effective as skill in playing, decision making, deck building, and (even) risk taking.

My 2 cents into the current discussion.
    Was the Leader of Acolytes of A1

A1's Dimensional Eyes in the Sky
    A1 Alliance: Evolution in Theory
    PFG3 Leader

Was Shadow Era Community Manager

Sota, The Switch Axe Monster Hunter

"When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all."
    "Humans fight to secure peace as they envision it. The trouble is, everyone's vision is different." - Ringabel

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Qtang View Post
    So they always win because they have a nice DC deck? Tell me, why they lose?

Please read my statement, I stated very clear that, the game play is almost luck base on draw. Also, I always say that better players might come up with better deck, that's the reason they win more. But, the luck still play every important role because you can't get a big advantage on the deck building (people copy decks).

I never say that anyone just randomly put 40 card to a deck and can win the game because the game is pure luck.
    You said that 90% the other player is less skilled(makes more mistakes) or is more unlucky then you. So what is it?

"the game play is almost luck base on draw" - This is correct, a properly built deck will have so many useful cards in it that it almost doesn't matter what you draw.