Close

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    http://www.mtggoldfish.com/metagame/vintage#online

That's the current Vintage metagame, in which ~85% of decks cannot kill the opponent on turns 1 or 2... Or before turn 4 at least. The same amount of decks do also play Force of Will but that's more because FoW is blue than what it does.

http://www.mtggoldfish.com/metagame/legacy#online

Hilariously enough, the Legacy metagame has more combo decks, with two of the top 3 decks played online being able to win the game on turn 3 (Storm can kill on turn 1 but that's quite rare) fairly consistently.

But yeah, it's definitely true that the more back you go, the more broken best decks tended to be.
    Last edited by Airact; 05-27-2015 at 03:15 PM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    The new era has nothing to do with the alpha, beta etc. era which was in discussion, which was back when MTG was created and the few years after that. And Index, i pm:ed you so this thread wouldn't go into the wrong track and so that we could talk about it in private instead of arguing on a thread about it. However, after you started insulting me I didn't see any point in continuing the discussion. Now you continue about the issue on a thread, i will just put you in ignore so this stupidy can end and the thread can continue on its right track.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Vezuvan View Post
    The new era has nothing to do with the alpha, beta etc. era which was in discussion, which was back when MTG was created and the few years after that. And Index, i pm:ed you so this thread wouldn't go into the wrong track and so that we could talk about it in private instead of arguing on a thread about it. However, after you started insulting me I didn't see any point in continuing the discussion. Now you continue about the issue on a thread, i will just put you in ignore so this stupidy can end and the thread can continue on its right track.
    Yes, you are going on the right track, I'm getting this thread into wrong. And every sentence I typed is stupid. I insulted you, and you've been so nice. I deserve to be ignored, of corse. I'm already so lucky that I am not banned so far. Thanks for your kindness!
    Buried Treasure of Nanana
    Warrior of the Blue Phoenix/ Greatness, Reborn
    My tournament achievements

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Call me dumb but I don't see a post from any of us implicating pre-2000 MtG as the point of discussion in this thread.

That aside, I don't think this was particularly off-topic. It does give a perspective which can be important especially when Shadow Era doesn't deal well with things that have traditionally needed an instant-speed reaction.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Airact View Post
    Call me dumb but I don't see a post from any of us implicating pre-2000 MtG as the point of discussion in this thread.

That aside, I don't think this was particularly off-topic. It does give a perspective which can be important especially when Shadow Era doesn't deal well with things that have traditionally needed an instant-speed reaction.
    Yeh well when I opened the discussion on 1st turn kills I later on was talking about the T1 now called "vintage" days. But you are right, maybe it does bring some perspective to the discussion, but arguing yes i am right / no i am right in a thread takes us nowhere.

Btw, I was checking out those links you dropped on MTG decks. Looks to me that there has been some new bans / restrictions after I quit playing, since many of the decks dont seem optimized on 1st turn kills.

And about Shadow Era and OTK, I'm personally highly against it due to the reasons iv said before. The reason why MTG had a broken system was mainly due to the fact that it was one of the first TCG out there, they were bound to make insane mistakes in card design. That didnt stop them from repeating the mistake 22 years in a row tho. But personally I can't find any joy in a game that can be finished before your opponent gets even his first turn. I dont think this will ever be an issue in shadow era tho, but all the same would be a stalling - set up deck that finishes the game in 1 turn by dealing 30 dmg. I dont think it would be a positive direction to a game that is all about fighting over board control.

And also, if someone wants OTK / 1st turn kills from TCG, theres plenty of them out there. The fact that other games have done it, doesen't necessarily mean it would be a good thing for Shadow Era. Personally I play shadow era just because there isnt anything like that.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Not asking for first turn kill. I'm asking for more support on decks like Haste Bomb or Rothem.
    The second thing I mentioned which has been ignored is the possibility of late game power plays in order to take back the game or to lock the game instead of slugging one card at a time.
    (ง ͠° ل͜ °)ง the unseen phoenix donger is the deadliest (ง ͠° ل͜ °)ง
    Justiciar of the Audacious
    Warrior of the Blue Pheonix
    Greatness, Reborn

"When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car." -- Author Unknown

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by LucasBlitz View Post
    Not asking for first turn kill. I'm asking for more support on decks like Haste Bomb or Rothem.
    The second thing I mentioned which has been ignored is the possibility of late game power plays in order to take back the game or to lock the game instead of slugging one card at a time.
    The lock part i dont agree with since it drops into the same category as a gamestyle - stall until your "lock" combo is ready and finish the game. <-( sounds like the old priest decks doesen't it?)
    Strong lategame cards with high cost (i dunno? 10?) could be an option, however, the problem is that since SE has already been build for 3 sets, the big meats are all 6-7 and it would break the balance of casting cost.

I honestly think that we should just sit tight for a while, SE is only 3 sets atm and therefore its obvious that there just isnt "support" to every deck type yet, and that there is a limited pool of combo around there.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Vezuvan View Post
    The lock part i dont agree with since it drops into the same category as a gamestyle - stall until your "lock" combo is ready and finish the game. <-( sounds like the old priest decks doesen't it?)
    Strong lategame cards with high cost (i dunno? 10?) could be an option, however, the problem is that since SE has already been build for 3 sets, the big meats are all 6-7 and it would break the balance of casting cost.

I honestly think that we should just sit tight for a while, SE is only 3 sets atm and therefore its obvious that there just isnt "support" to every deck type yet, and that there is a limited pool of combo around there.
    Old priest? Templars can lock the game with sindrarock alone. I'm saying stuff like a 5 that splits into two 3/3s like in Hex n stuff that opens combo possibilities.
    Justiciar of the Audacious
    Warrior of the Blue Pheonix
    Greatness, Reborn

"When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car." -- Author Unknown

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Problem is you can't do stuff like that in a physical format. Least not that I know of. Past that I totally agree some digital style abilities like ally splitting and stuff would be interesting to add in.
    ETC

ENJOY THINK CREATE

I'm an ETC newbie so please underestimate me (I like advantages )

“I'm awesome.”-Me

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by jcbow View Post
    Problem is you can't do stuff like that in a physical format. Least not that I know of. Past that I totally agree some digital style abilities like ally splitting and stuff would be interesting to add in.
    It could work if you use some kind of counters / tokens for the allies.