Close

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

boris/tala vs mages, how do you fare?

So I have been playing Boris and Tala in the ranking region around 250 and the one
    thing which really frustrates me is that many mage decks (mostly the fast ones) have become
    auto-loss for me with Shattered Fates. Before SF there was some hope of getting through
    their bombardment with some fatties like sandworms, but now fatties are easily disposed of
    with Transmogrification Curse. And then there is Phoenix Urigon, a card which to me looks
    totally imbalanced, comparing it to other 4cc allies. Dealing with it usually costs a lot of effort so
    that I can not put any pressure afterwards. And the PU/supernova combo is just evil. Ah yes,
    let us not forget Twilight Aramia, which I find utterly hopeless to play against with the 3-periodic
    fishing of Twilight Eidolon. And they are quite popular right now (BTW which classes/heroes are best
    to counter Twilight Aramia?).

These are my frustrating experiences, so how do you fare? What are the key ideas to improve
    the play of Boris/Tala against mages in your opinion? My own deck looks a bit like the one
    shown in http://www.shadowera.com/showthread....d-and-win-with, though I use FFM's and Irina's
    instead of Sentinels and Wisps and there are other modifications as well. But I am more interested in
    key ideas rather than complete deck examples, even though the latter is of course also very welcome.

Now I am curious and thanks for all contributions, I would be very happy if this thread could help
    us Boris/Tala players to improve our play a lot.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    A couple of things could help you, depending on your problem. You're lumping all mages together when really they're very different sorts of strategies. Rush mages and aramia buff decks can be countered somewhat by having a good amount of 2-3cc allies in your deck. If you don't get an ally out by t2 in some matchups you have a good chance of losing. Warriors should always carry crippling blow. It'l help vs some of those pumping deck and help a bit vs rush decks. It's also huge vs Phoenix Urigon. Retreat! may be helpful vs some of those buff decks as well. Sorry but warriors aren't really my specialty so that's about all I've got for you. One of my favorite players, BP Chamthabo is playing Boris right now, I'd recommend you spectate some of his games and try to get a sense for what he's doing in different matchups.
    IGN: ETC BobRoss
    "BobRoss puts the 'bRo' in Boss" - Gondorian
    Proud Member of ETC - Errors Terrors & Carers
    Europe/Africa Regional Champion 2014 (also top 8 in World Championship)
    See some videos with commentary of some of my Serena Games on Shadowera.net
    I also do a video show with TJ SamuelJ - Bob and Sam Trollin it Up!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Indeed we are in a rush mage meta at the moment with Aramia and Loest most prevalent.

In order to prevail and be victorious... you need a strong opening game.

Between Boris and Tala, I believe Tala has the better opening game

Mainly because if Tala can have a protector before the mage can lightning strike… that can cause huge problems for the mage and it allows Tala to maintain board control

Here is an example of a Tala with a strong opening game:

***Allies (22)***
    2x Champion of Irum
    4x Yari Bladedancer
    3x Aldon the Brave
    3x Fleet-footed Messenger
    3x Layarian Seductress
    2x Yari Marksman
    3x Armored Sandworm
    2x Braxnorian Soldier

***Abilities (15)***
    2x Bad Santa
    4x Crippling Blow
    2x Smashing Blow
    4x Blood Frenzy
    1x Enrage
    2x A Legend Rises

***Items (2)***
    2x The Last Harvest

TOTAL: 39 cards + Hero

As you can see, King’s Pride has been substituted with The Last Harvest, there is an abundance of 2CC and 3CC allies and Sandworm surely will stick on the board post supernova

The keys to the mage match up is:
    1. Protector before mage can lightning strike
    2. Try not to cast blood frenzy on rely on your opponent’s draw (i.e. bad santa and Crystal Shards)
    3. Never sac enrage
    4. Try to keep Sandworm at 4 health plus with Tala’s ability, The Last Harvest and or A Legend Arises

Hope this helps!

PS: If you run into more Zhanna’s then you can change the build to be more late game with Viska and King’s Pride
    PPS: If you run into Millstalkers and Gwen, you can change 1 of the A Lengend Arises to Saymeht’s Retribution