Close

Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
    1.27 Tournament Champion Raphael Majere's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    I realize some of the long-time players here might be opposed to changing the game away from what they are used to. But the simple fact of the matter is that we have to improve the visuals of the game in order to compete.
    Engage in battles that one can realistically win, and do not fight in battles that one will probably lose.

I'll rather be a featherweight boxing world champ than to be down-and-out unranked heavyweight.

By the time SE catches up in terms of graphics (another year to wait?), hearthstone and mmdoc or whatever would have introduced even more stunning features. Are we going to have to play catch-up again?

At the core, SE has superior game dynamics and balanced card interactions and a decent variety of deck archetypes compared to other games.

I would work on these strengths and keep churning out expansions/revisions.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Colosal View Post
    I just saw this thread and i thought that i was in a Hearthstone's thread but then i saw SE cards and i am really disappointed about ripping off Hearstone's' board :/
    This ^^

Please add option to remove the 3d ripoff
    Master of Puppets
    Warrior of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn

Check SE No 1 Guild

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I now understand why visuals are so important and I can agree with that logic but, I have to agree with Danae and GDC. It clearly looks like a copy of HS.
    The whole game is already a copy of the old WoWtcg, why keep on doing it?

Imo Hearthstone is like the worst game to copy, I resisted from plying it for a long time cause it looks like is made for kids... I'm attracted to the fact that SE is simpler in layout that feels and looks more like a card game. SE has a darker theme. Cartoonish looks resembling HS would really ruin it for some of us.

PS. Please don't take away the hero card. Doing that just ruins the card game feel. I like that digital SE is somewhat similar to the physical when played.

__________S K U R A I___________

*****************THE CURSED PROSECUTOR*****************

Warriors of the Blue Phoenix, Greatness Reborn.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    It seems to depend heavily on mouse overs which seems kind of silly when a huge portion of your player base is using small touchscreens.

I like the fact that shadow era is currently a beautiful card game, and not some other dumb thing.

I think the biggest key to the longevity of the game is to keep delivering content, rather than changing how it looks.
    Elder TJ

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by D-Man View Post
    Nice! SE finally gets a facelift. I just hope it doesn't end up looking and playing like Hearthstone. Hearthstone is Hearthstone, SE is SE.
    Why must it look like hearthstone? cant anyone make a new and better design? IT REALLY LOOKS LIKE A COPY OF HEARTHSTONE! sheeeshhh come on guys SE IS SE lets make something that makes feel like " YES!!! THis is SHADOW ERA!!!" not " What? dont know if im playing se or HS." or Shadowera in Hearthstone universe. BRING THE CARD ARTS NOW NOW NOW hehehe

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    Now post a screenshot of MTG and Hex
    MTG

Hex

I think Hex design is unique but I also like the clean and simple look of MTG. The MTG interface looks more like what SE is now and if you were to upgrade it to a similar fashion, I would consider that a visual upgrade in itself. But I'm really more on the gameplay rather than the visuals so I might not be the best person to give advise on this. .

As for your comment on the attachments, please don't make us rely on having to mouseover cards to determine some things. I like the fact that I can look at the board and get a general idea on what's in play without me having to mouseover each card to determine if there are hidden cards behind it.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    If hex is copying MTG , though there is great difference as hex is extremely polished, that doesn't give us the right to copy HS

And I salute the dev team who said their opinion about the new design..these people + the very old time fans have been the real people defending and promoting the, though many times they were put in positions which is hard to defend

So when people like this, so loyal wether from dev team or old supports express their dislike, that's ofcourse in addition to general crowd, then it is really the time where Kyle needs to take a pause and actually listen to this people

Please, don't ruin the game and listen to all this people who have been behind you
    Master of Puppets
    Warrior of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn

Check SE No 1 Guild

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Some suggestions, make the digital game feel like a lil bit of a phyiscal game for example digital playmats with digital dices, counters and tokens that automatically does it job on screen for some weee bit of eye candy. Then for the animations use the actual weapons when attacking, for example soul seeker animation not some common hunter bow or anklebreaker whip animation for the anklebreaker , jewelers dream (jewels fall off when it swings), ghostmaker and dimension ripper (OMG those animations would be awesome). this will be really hard to do but you know u have all the time in the world to figure this out Some Sound effects would really do an awesome job that would make us feel we are in the shadow era universe and no where else Where are those damn hero voices? hehe This format would make it unique than hearthstone! And like the other guys say a lil dark theme would be really impressive rather than childish thingies like HS! come on guys please lets be AWESOME and do stuff unique to SHADOW ERA!
    Last edited by Vincenzo749; 04-29-2014 at 04:15 AM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Okay, I'll provide constructive feedback on the whole 3D battlefields and/or visual overhaul specifically this time, rather than what I posted before. It's too close to hearthstone, therefore I don't personally like it. I think a much more traditional upgrade would be better suited for Shadow Era than copying the board and style (such as the cards being slotted into the side for example) of Hearthstone.

Just to give an idea, this is sort of what I meant by "table with a playmat" in my original post (+1 for dark Nishaven filter :P). I don't see anything wrong with sprucing up the visuals in a simple way that doesn't change the layout (with the exception of the armor and weapons being to the side, that's a nice touch I would think) and it keeps the look of the traditional card game that we know and love. Its kind of poorly done but I'm not really an artist but you guys should get the idea, just imagine it as a 3D rendering rather than an Image (Plus its only the one side):

With Card examples:

Of course there would be the usual hand and deck and numbers (and various UI elements) to accompany those, but you guys get the idea. I feel this approach would be better.

Other than that you can model the area around the cards to be on some type of board with the models popping out in appropriate places (kind of how infinity wars has theirs (simply as an example)). Maybe translating some of the backgrounds were familiar with like the purplish one by having the sides come up like a mountain or the jungle having the trees spruce up on the sides. (I was actually going to model examples, but my 3DSMAX license ran out and I couldn't figure out blender )

These two approaches are also more mobile device friendly, as it shows all the cards in a clean fashion seeing as they do not benefit from the hover over feature. If you still wish to go the route of not having such things be visible, then an icon is a must (in fact, the game could use a lot more icons for passive and applied effects, such as invincibility from Celestial Armor or Protector from Tala Pureheart). This also still shows everything in a card form, which I personally feel is important to the feel and style of the game.

From there, more animations for various card effects and the sounds to go with them should be more than enough to liven things up and give Shadow Era its own unique and appealing visual update. Hopefully that is more constructive feedback about the design than my previous feedback post that was also filled with other aspects. Feel free to add on or dispute this community.
    Last edited by Demnchi; 04-29-2014 at 06:23 AM.
    Was the Leader of Acolytes of A1

A1's Dimensional Eyes in the Sky
    A1 Alliance: Evolution in Theory
    PFG3 Leader

Was Shadow Era Community Manager

Sota, The Switch Axe Monster Hunter

"When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all."
    "Humans fight to secure peace as they envision it. The trouble is, everyone's vision is different." - Ringabel

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    You the man Demnchi!Id pick that format anyday Unique to shadow era changable playmats too would be awesome