Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Possible Problem with shuffle?

Frequently I draw 2 or 3 cards of same type together (side by side). Ive only 2x Aeon but 85% of the time I just begin with it on hand in a 45 cards deck size. I dont undestand this, I think the shuffle algorithm has some problems.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I agree, I keep saying a suffle button is needed.

I just made a boris deck, and have beem trying it out, I my game play in boris is all weapon so by the end of the game all my weapons will be bunched together, when I play my next game with boris I find that almost every time it takes me passed t5 to even draw a weapon and then I will start getting them all.

I have always had a problem with the shuffle but nothing I can do except go to AI game and quit a bunch of times before I go to a QM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    But WIth a Shuffle button the problem will still persist because the bug is in the algorith, so I think.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Random is random, just sac duplicates.
    Scrupulous Ash Collector of the Blue Phoenix.
    Warriors of the Blue Phoenix

Greatness, Reborn

Shadow Era Network - Shadow Era community hub.

Quote Originally Posted by BDK16 View Post
    You're the best Unruler!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Bhleg View Post
    No one know FS better than you, our King of FS.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    I also agree that the order of cards could be more random.

Quote Originally Posted by davidwm18 View Post
    But WIth a Shuffle button the problem will still persist because the bug is in the algorith, so I think.
    Exactly. A program does not shuffle cards. There are no cards to shuffle. It simply randomises the order of cards in the draw pile, so shuffling would have the same problem. Random generators can be very tricky. I'm not sure how the generator works for this game, but perhaps an additional cut algorithm could be made that effectively cuts the deck for a number if iterations after being randomised. Statistically speaking though, I'm not sure if this would be redundant or not.
    Shallow Era Channel and Blog
    Enhancing The Community, etc.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    So basically you complain that shuffle being random, and want it to be less random, but it's a card game and luck plays a major role here. If you will get the same draw all the time with one deck, wouldn't it be boring?

Greatness, Reborn

You're the best Unruler!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Unruler View Post
    So basically you complain that shuffle being random, and want it to be less random, but it's a card game and luck plays a major role here. If you will get the same draw all the time with one deck, wouldn't it be boring?
    Incorrect. We are not complaining about it being random, we are complaining about it not being random, which is legitimate. We do not want it to be less random at all.

Consider a deck of playing cards and the odds and frequency of drawing 3/4 cards of the same number together. If this game were poker we would be getting far too many full houses as the frequency in which cards appear together is very high. Quite often I have drawn only two or three unique cards in my opening hand.
    Last edited by Keaven; 05-16-2012 at 03:13 AM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    But even if you get 4 unique cards in starting hand it is still random even if that's happening too frequently, that just can be a bad luck.

If special mechanism will be implemented that will make the same cards not draw together, it would be less random.

Greatness, Reborn

You're the best Unruler!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    No computer algorithm can generate a truly random number. Randonizer functions rely on what's call a "seed", a number that it works with and sets the ranges of the numbers generated. The problem is if you run it for 100 iterations, then restart the program and re-run another 100 iterations but don't alter the seed, it will give you two identical patterns. To fix this you need to randomize the seed, but then you need another randomizer and another seed. (You can see where this is going )

You can add extra depth to the algorithm to "cut" the deck after 50 iterations or to ensure that no two cards appear next to each other in the deck etc, but this limits the abilities of the randomizer further and thus makes, as Keaven and Unruler say, things less random.

tl;dr: Things are never truly random in a computer.
    Extra Tough Claws - Proud Member of ETC

Articles | Decklist | Fan Fiction

Shadow Era Art Thread | PB @ DeviantArt

PFG Member | I've been interviewed!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Unruler View Post
    But even if you get 4 unique cards in starting hand it is still random even if that's happening too frequently, that just can be a bad luck.

If special mechanism will be implemented that will make the same cards not draw together, it would be less random.
    You don't seem to be understanding at all.

Programs cannot simulate a truly random number. It is one of the hardest things for a program to do because algorithms must be specifically coded to return certain values, and I'm not going to go into the specifics of how randomness is simulated by computation. When randomness is important they use redundant/complicated random generators.

This has nothing to do with a special mechanism to prevent cards drawing together.

[edit]
    As mentioned by Prey, the seed is often randomised by taking a value from a specific (or random) location in temporary memory that is constantly changing, therefore aiding in the randomisation. What can occur is a pattern in that value in memory that reduces the performance of the random generator.
    Last edited by Keaven; 05-16-2012 at 03:34 AM.