Close

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Thoughts on Kyle's idea to share decks on merchant

I wanted to put this under the New player experience post at first but on second thought better put it here.

So basically the idea is to give players the opportunity to rate all the cards they have and display the average rating in the merchant screen.
    In addition to that, it would be good to put a list of synergic cards as well as counterplay cards (also rated by players). This can be a good way to help new players build decent decks right from the beginning.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Even a way to have a link in-game that leads to a full write-up of the deck would be handy, so they can just go straight to a post that explains the deck.
    "IT'S TIME TO DUEL!!!"
    "The Magnificent."
    Account for any future SC transfers by Gondorian: BP tman507

Member of PFG3
    Master of Hand-to-hand Combat
    Warrior of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn

Official Shadow Era Wiki Moderator

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I think that might be too much to ask from players. I believe that only a small amount of all the decks are posted on the forums and that's because it takes time to explain the decisions behind these decks. On the other hand, card synergy and counterplay lists offer a simple yet straightforward way to give all the information needed.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I like this idea! Maybe you can even leave a comment on the card (and then players could upvote the comments)?
    Black Templars - No Remorse, No Fear, No Pity.
    http://www.blacktemplars.org/

I'm a game designer and blogger. Check out my blog:
    www.jorgezhang.com

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    every card should have a thread on the forum and we can link up with merchant page, so player will be able to read and comment in game, which hopefully will show up on forum as well

deck sharing can be done in similar fashion, tag thread with hero's name and link to deck building page

either sharing i can foreseen moderation will be pretty critical to avoid spamming

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by tolerance View Post
    every card should have a thread on the forum and we can link up with merchant page, so player will be able to read and comment in game, which hopefully will show up on forum as well
    Even better: the comments could be pulled into the game from the forums -- it'd remind people of the forum's existence (and potentially show that it is active) while not requiring players to leave the game to see the comments.

However, I don't think this is a good idea at all. If the goal is to get new players to instantly know which cards are good, then that would be better accomplished by providing real statistics on the card (win rates, usage rates, etc) -- but that's bad for business, because it would prevent players from buying/trying the "bad" cards for themselves, resulting in less profits and less creativity/meta variance.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Kross View Post
    However, I don't think this is a good idea at all. If the goal is to get new players to instantly know which cards are good, then that would be better accomplished by providing real statistics on the card (win rates, usage rates, etc) -- but that's bad for business, because it would prevent players from buying/trying the "bad" cards for themselves, resulting in less profits and less creativity/meta variance.
    Why should information be hidden for new players? There are outright bad cards, period. And bad business? That shouldn't be a problem if a product is worth paying for. More info even safeguards new players from wasting gold on horrible cards and I'd argue that would retain players more than them knowing they are adding creativity to the meta with their dark flayer mage deck. And I don't see how it should be new players' responsibility to add creativity to the meta.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by TitaniumWhite View Post
    There are outright bad cards, period. ...wasting gold on horrible cards
    What are some of the outright bad cards?