Close

Thread: Unity3d plugin

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Unity3d plugin

I am using a Mac, but I am not sure this problem is confined to Macs. Whenever I alt tab, go to a new tab in the browser, or go to another window, the game pauses and will not resume until I bring the game window to the front. Is there a way to have the Unity plugin not paused when it is in the background?

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Try a different browser. If I'm not mistaken, Firefox and Safari doesn't handle each tab as a separate process unlike IE8 and Google Chrome does (it's been a year since I checked on this so I could be wrong). The thing is that the plugin doesn't run in the background, which causes the "freezing" problem. Having a tab run as a separate process altogether would alleviate this issue (it also would not bring down the whole browser when one of the tab, for instance just happens to crash out of nowhere).

Personally, I really don't mind it, although I can see the convenience having it run even though the tab (or window) is not active. If that didn't work, then I don't know LOL. I'll have to do research on it.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Not sure if it's the Unity plugin or set by the game or whatever but in Firefox as well, the game area doesn't have the focus, then it'll pause.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by AnAdolt View Post
    Not sure if it's the Unity plugin or set by the game or whatever but in Firefox as well, the game area doesn't have the focus, then it'll pause.
    Yep, same issue Not having the focus on the game itself freezes it. Unity 3d is basically the engine that runs the 3d graphics of the game, so the cause would most likely be the plugin rather than the game. I tried to look for posts regarding this engine but I haven't been able to find something concrete about the issue. The last one I read, which was a post about a year ago, said that having the plugin run in the background causes the processor to reach 100%. I'm not sure if it has been fixed since then.
    Last edited by jiminee; 03-03-2011 at 11:23 PM. Reason: added link to said post

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Rather than solve this, PC and Mac apps would be preferable. Then the browser option is still there for people who want to access it on the go or in unusual places (the advantages of a web based game!) but those of us who want to play+browse dont have to deal with the issues that Unity has when not focused, or the general issues that come with games in a browser (generally stability related).