Close

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    As someone who has spent money on the game, but is still cautious about how much money he spends on the game, I think a gold based tournament system that uses your pre-made decks is a must.

I think Lahiri put it best: "I already paid to build a competitive deck, why should I pay again to use it? "

I think the SC tournaments still have their place for people who want to up the aunty and farm SC; but me personally, I wouldn't pay $1 to enter a tournament - or if I did, I would only do it very infrequently and grumble under my breath about the price every time.

All the above, is just IMO.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    To me I don't mind the prospect of tournaments with entry costs only in the form of SC

take the constructed 8 man tournament for example, if you win 1 in 5 tournaments, you will break even and go infinite

That to me is okay. Bear if mind you still get an SC reward for second place! Which further helps the cause to go infinite

If we introduce gold tournaments... well that will certainly devalue memberships which is not good. We want people to take up memberships!

If you don't like the idea of risking your 100 SC, I'm sure there will be old fashion tournaments to participate which don't involve this risk

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat Jay View Post
    T

If you don't like the idea of risking your 100 SC, I'm sure there will be old fashion tournaments to participate which don't involve this risk
    That would be ok it was automated.
    It's very hard to manage an "independent" tournament: players have to decide when to play and you end up playing only a turn per week.
    Definitely not user friendly.

An online TCG has to be free from these problem or I go play MTG (which I actually do sometimes!).

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    By my mind, keeping them SC only helps fund the game. So, I think it's a good thing. It lets those that -choose- to play in tournaments defray the costs of the game for everyone else.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Fine, entry fees should be either gold or SC, but not one exclusively.
    I agree w Pat that a gold tourney would discourage as up posed to encourage participation.
    Many a great player might be SC or gold poor and your players are then diluted to the uber rich.
    I stopped playing meltdown because ,even though I loved the format, I couldn't put enough time into to even make my money back, it became a bad investment.
    I would have played more if,
    1) I could get a decent return ( not it doesn't have to double, but at least 10%)
    2) if it were free I would play it alot more! It's a fun way to play and you see cards you never use in your decks, making me want to have those cards, making me spend real money for SCto buy the decks or cards!
    A1 kip thorp
    the daddy daughter team of death
    Proud Graduate of Kiptergarten
    A1-Alliance ~ Evolution in Theory

A1 Alliance LEADER & Crash Test Dummy
    Check out our recruitment thread

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I agree Kip, i only ever play meltdown for a quick bit of fun, i can't afford to put the money in to try to win back my investment
    IGN: A1 The Solyom

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Yea, meltdown and playing in SE for rating in general is too time consuming. A few weeks ago I played in meltdown, played every minute I had free (played some normal ranked games too), and only ended up somewhere around 100+ rank. Ugh

Ontopic:
    1) It's fine to have tournaments that put people with same rating together, but it must be done then with a seperate tournament rating because if it's based on quick match rating people will just lower their rating to play with lower ranked players.

The way I see it: give people a way to enter for free every once in a while (daily rewards or so) AND give people a chance to win something if they complete all their matches. This way new players will still play tournaments and get something out of it. The way it stands tournaments will be only for pating players. But why would a new player pay for a tournament if he can't even test out what it's like.

An alternate route could be to give people that join a tournament a free booster or something so that they have incentive to play. Of course, rewards could be changed/lowered then qince everyone gets something.

Anyway, all other games have a way to grind for free for some tournaments. For example in MMDOC you get daiky rewards with tickets and leveling up is more easily (I'm lvl 125) with every level up giving something that's equivalent to 50 crystals, so it's actually possible to grind for tickets. In Solforge people get about two tickets per week from daily rewards and a normal tournament is 3 tickets and a draft is 7, and the payouts also give tickets.

In both these games it's possible to play for free, but only for a limited amount of times. In shadowera, I can't even remember the last time I leveled up, and a single lvl-up would pay me 25% of a SINGLE entry. Honestly, that's hundreds of hours grinding for a single entry. That's not feasible.

Kinda forgot what my point is, but I suggest working around with a ticket-entry system and making it possible to grind for a limited amount of tickets for free.
    iClipse - A1's Twilight Manipulator - A1 : Evolution in Theory
    Part of PFG

• My psychiatrist told me I was crazy and I said I want a second opinion. He said okay, you're ugly too.

• Just remember...if the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off.

• With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.

• I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not sure.

• A diplomat is someone who can tell you to go to hell in such a way that you will look forward to the trip.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by iClipse View Post
    Yea, meltdown and playing in SE for rating in general is too time consuming. A few weeks ago I played in meltdown, played every minute I had free (played some normal ranked games too), and only ended up somewhere around 100+ rank. Ugh

Ontopic:
    1) It's fine to have tournaments that put people with same rating together, but it must be done then with a seperate tournament rating because if it's based on quick match rating people will just lower their rating to play with lower ranked players.

The way I see it: give people a way to enter for free every once in a while (daily rewards or so) AND give people a chance to win something if they complete all their matches. This way new players will still play tournaments and get something out of it. The way it stands tournaments will be only for pating players. But why would a new player pay for a tournament if he can't even test out what it's like.

An alternate route could be to give people that join a tournament a free booster or something so that they have incentive to play. Of course, rewards could be changed/lowered then qince everyone gets something.

Anyway, all other games have a way to grind for free for some tournaments. For example in MMDOC you get daiky rewards with tickets and leveling up is more easily (I'm lvl 125) with every level up giving something that's equivalent to 50 crystals, so it's actually possible to grind for tickets. In Solforge people get about two tickets per week from daily rewards and a normal tournament is 3 tickets and a draft is 7, and the payouts also give tickets.

In both these games it's possible to play for free, but only for a limited amount of times. In shadowera, I can't even remember the last time I leveled up, and a single lvl-up would pay me 25% of a SINGLE entry. Honestly, that's hundreds of hours grinding for a single entry. That's not feasible.

Kinda forgot what my point is, but I suggest working around with a ticket-entry system and making it possible to grind for a limited amount of tickets for free.
    I personally agree with this. Giving out some free tournament tickets should done somehow. Heck, I could see giving them as seasonal event prizes (by that I mean like "Happy valintine's everyone, 3 tournament tickets!" or something like that would be awesome (I personally want to see more stuff like that anyways)
    Was the Leader of Acolytes of A1

A1's Dimensional Eyes in the Sky
    A1 Alliance: Evolution in Theory
    PFG3 Leader

Was Shadow Era Community Manager

Sota, The Switch Axe Monster Hunter

"When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all."
    "Humans fight to secure peace as they envision it. The trouble is, everyone's vision is different." - Ringabel

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Yes i agree with Iclipse

Ticket system like solforge complimented by a daily reward system that gives tickets would work well

It would also make the whole membership thing a lot easier to admin since you just have to give them an x amount of tickets each day

Better still... just give them all the tickets at once and let the member decide when to use them all

All in all - copy Solforge

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat Jay View Post
    Yes i agree with Iclipse

Ticket system like solforge complimented by a daily reward system that gives tickets would work well

It would also make the whole membership thing a lot easier to admin since you just have to give them an x amount of tickets each day

Better still... just give them all the tickets at once and let the member decide when to use them all

All in all - copy Solforge
    Except don't make a single ticket 40k silver when you need 3 to just do constructed >.>
    Was the Leader of Acolytes of A1

A1's Dimensional Eyes in the Sky
    A1 Alliance: Evolution in Theory
    PFG3 Leader

Was Shadow Era Community Manager

Sota, The Switch Axe Monster Hunter

"When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all."
    "Humans fight to secure peace as they envision it. The trouble is, everyone's vision is different." - Ringabel