Close

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Flycheung View Post
    Anyone can watch the game replays to 'reverse engineering' the decks since the games can be re-watch multiple times. As long as you put some effort in it. Which I think one learn a lot more by watching them rather than just 'net-deck' it off the forum.

Barcafan85 got mine very close to accurate, he watched all my games, according to him. So it's not difficult at all.
    See, this is exactly what I meant in my first post about unfair information assymetries. So for the people who:

a) know where to find replays of the relevant games,
    b) have literally hours to spare analysing the replays for all of the individual cards, or
    c) are in a clan with someone else who can do that for them

The decklists are "open". For 95% of the rest of the community they're not. There's no reason why this should be the case.

As i said, it's standard form in all tcgs that I know of (MTG, WoWTCG, Yugioh) to post decklists of at least a certain portion of major tourneys (eg. top 16), for the development of the overall meta and to take away that unnecessary and unfair information assymetry the same should be done here.
    Last edited by psychobabble; 06-18-2012 at 01:19 AM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Firstly, I don't get why it is even necessary to make sure there is no "information assymetry". How is it helping the player base to be spoon-feeding decks without encouraging some critical thinking and personal effort? Just because other tcgs do it does not necessary mean SE has to follow. It is also way easier to view replays on SE (just need to search IGNs which are publically available and maybe 5-10 min to watch a replay) than a physical card game.

Secondly, most of the top finalists are more than willing to share but if players are forced to reveal their deck then it should be mentioned before the WC. And as you said, the decklists alone are pointless because they are targeted for that particular tourney. Much better to let the finalist himself start his own thread to explain.

1.27 Tournament Champion Raphael Majere's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    +1 to pyrogene

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    +2 to Pyrogene. Well said.
    Extra Tough Claws - Proud Member of ETC

Articles | Decklist | Fan Fiction

Shadow Era Art Thread | PB @ DeviantArt

PFG Member | I've been interviewed!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    +3 to pyrogene (no trolling intent).
    Shadow Era:

Every Turn Counts

"Being strong isn't just about having powers or moves...It is about HEART." - Roronoa Zoro, One Piece

PFG 2 Member "You idealize, we criticize."
    1st Singapore Meltdown Physical Tournament Winner

IGN: Berdugo ETC
    Profession: Alien Hunter

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    It's a good business decision to post the tournament finalists decks. That is why they should do it. But since it wasn't done in the last tournament it probably won't happen on this one too, if they knew how to make money we wouldn't be in the first edition until now.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Another + to Pyro!

I don't think forcing is a good idea either. Unfourtantly, that's all I have to say.
    Was the Leader of Acolytes of A1

A1's Dimensional Eyes in the Sky
    A1 Alliance: Evolution in Theory
    PFG3 Leader

Was Shadow Era Community Manager

Sota, The Switch Axe Monster Hunter

"When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all."
    "Humans fight to secure peace as they envision it. The trouble is, everyone's vision is different." - Ringabel

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I agree that if it wasn't in the tournament rules (I wasn't aware one way or another if it was), then decklists shouldn't be posted without permission. If that's the case then I think GDC or whoever should ask people for permission to post and post the lists of ppl who agree, but in future it should be part of the entry rules.

As I've said already, there's two reasons why the information assymetry is bad:

1) The information divide between the general community and the highly engaged community (which has the time/effort/team resources to scout out decklists) rewards the wrong type of skill. The highly engaged group gets an advantage not from any ability to play the game or to understand it strategically, but by having the time to sit down and piece together lists from scouted information. The people who do sit down and watch games will still get the benefit of understanding the games that someone who just looks over lists won't, but posting lists allows everyone access to the basic information of "what's in the meta".

2) Wider dissemination of lists can help the overall meta work itself out better. If there's a particular problem interraction, it can either be worked out better with more people understanding it (and thus being able to prepare/meta for it) or if it's actually an insurmountable problem then its effect is better understood by influencing the wider meta. Posting decklists also allows for the general community to have access to stats on what cards are played in tournaments, what heroes place well etc. and supports community resources based on those stats. Huge amounts of community material, blogs, articles etc in MTG for eg. is based off tournament decklists and it's good to promote that side of the game.

I can't see any good reason for not making these lists get posted as a matter of course. The people involved don't really lose anything because their high level direct competition has the ability to scout out their lists anyway. The elitism behind the desire to want to keep those lists out of sight of the general community doesn't help overall community development and there's no actual loss incurred in posting them.

World Championships 2nd Place Flycheung's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by psychobabble View Post
    See, this is exactly what I meant in my first post about unfair information assymetries. So for the people who:

a) know where to find replays of the relevant games,
    b) have literally hours to spare analysing the replays for all of the individual cards, or
    c) are in a clan with someone else who can do that for them

The decklists are "open". For 95% of the rest of the community they're not. There's no reason why this should be the case.

As i said, it's standard form in all tcgs that I know of (MTG, WoWTCG, Yugioh) to post decklists of at least a certain portion of major tourneys (eg. top 16), for the development of the overall meta and to take away that unnecessary and unfair information assymetry the same should be done here.
    I don't have any other TCG or CCG experience, so I'm gonna take an uneducated guess those tournaments are in fact held at real place and the games played can't be view by mass general (except video recording?!). Unlike SE, where the games are freely to view by public so as long you have the SE client installed on your device/computer.

Thus, I've literally spend hours to play the games, I think it's fair those wants to know should spend some of their times to analysis these games too.

Honestly, my deck list doesn't need any rocket scientist to figure out (it's only 41 cards!) and I don't oppose to deck sharing, when it's voluntarily.

As for the development of the overall meta, I trust DT and PFG have accumulate sufficient information by now.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Seems like your motives are not entirely pure. The general population of players never reads the forums and therefore would not have access to this knowledge even if it was posted. It seems like you just want decks from more highly skilled players for your own uses.