Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

SE Short: Wizent's Journal (Part 2)

Loest paused for a moment to take in his father's words. He'd known his lack of faith had always concerned the man, but to see the depth of those concerns so plainly stated was breathtakingly difficult for the young man. So much so that he even considered putting the book away rather than bear these inner thoughts.

However, these were his father's words. When he read them Loest could almost hear the man's voice again. Perhaps the pain of truth was less than the pain of loss, but the young man found himself spreading the worn leather apart once more to the events three weeks later.

Lightsday the 10th of Snoman, 998 L.W.

Blessed Arada, I don't know if I have the strength to bear the trials of these times. Since the day those men fell into the cavern atop Mount Balor everything has been slowly falling into chaos. Good men, loyal men, turning against their superiors for no reason. Riots and assaults are now more frequent than progress on the construction. They cannot even make charges for the murders because they are becoming so common.

I've sent three members of our church now to aid these men, to remind them of the seven and the love of Arada. The first abandoned his calling, falling into the same blind rage as the others. The second was summarily murdered in his sleep within a week of his arrival. Thankfully the third was able to escape with only minor injuries from his attackers and is safely back here with us.

I am grateful that Rothem is taking the issue seriously as well. I just received a letter detailing the guards he's sending. Even his advisor is tagging along to try and restore some semblance of order there. While I still worry for the king's motives, at least action is taking place. The sooner the issue is sorted the better.
    I suppose, though, that the failures of my fellow man are only part of what troubles me so. As silly as it is to write this even in secret, my dreams trouble me so much more. So realistic, so vivid, and yet incomprehensible. I am not sure if I should pray for them to stop or for understating of what they mean.

I see small shadows, tiny specs in the sea of the light that is Balor. They would be nothing, except something brings them together, draws them into a single darkness. Slowly this darkness creeps out and seeps into everything. It and the light fight for the whole of the world, warring until an ultimate stalemate.

These battles are terrifying in their scope, but only serve as pretense; Celestial beings of unimaginable power. Too much for our broken world to stand against. They purge the world of all that is and ever will be. I want to believe my mind is just too focused on the texts I've been reading, yet still this fear remains.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    And the tension builds!
    "I'll have you know I have the reflexes of a cat, and the speed of a mongoose"

LEGEND of TEAM JUGGERNAUTS

Recent accolades: season 5, finalist (top 8). UK streetfigher, Conquerors Bane runner-up.
    Immortalised as Flavour Winner for "Smoke Screen". Conceal, Confuse, and Obscure.

Link to irc: http://shadowera.gondorian.com/gamechat/

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I think I found a bit of incontinuity...

In CotC Epilogue Arthyle states he had died centuries before.

The Last War Ends states that Arthyle died ending the Last War.

In Wizent's Journal Part 1 Wizent hopes the final year of the Last War's millenia would bring beter tidings.

Also you mention Nishaven and Rothem. Rothem is stated to be recently dead in Gunther's story and CotC Prologue

So that suggests the Last War ended shortly before CotC Prologue

But it can't be cause Arthyle's death ended it. And that was centuries ago or a thousand years like you said in a post.

Am I missing something?

Or otherwise Nis and Rothem are immortal...
    Last edited by Sea1111; 04-29-2013 at 12:10 PM.
    Proud member of TEAM JUGGERNAUTS!

Sea1111

^^The Shadow Crystal's Energy was taken,
    Eladwen froze the enemy's Ally,
    Majiya froze as her Fire Snake dies,
    Blake Windrunner strikes the final blow, upon the enemy,
    And Majiya was no more.^
    ^

--Random Thing that I Thought Of--

My theme song, cause Gondorian forced me to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8KQmps-Sog

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Rothem is the name of a king. In monarchies, the names are frequently passed down. Whoever recorded the stories (especially the journal writers) would not feel the need to record which of that name they were.
    Congratulations to Preybird for designing my Avatar!

In Game Handle: Warr Byrd

Contributions to the Game:
    Flavor text for Wild Berserker: The odds are always in my favor
    PFG3: To Be Released Soon™

Tournament Wins: None, I'm Timmy Johnny not Spike!

Shout out to Gondorian, nerull7, Nikola D, plo, Preybird, Super Grover, and Zhou86 for submitting potential avatars!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Warr Byrd View Post
    Rothem is the name of a king. In monarchies, the names are frequently passed down. Whoever recorded the stories (especially the journal writers) would not feel the need to record which of that name they were.
    And Nish? Two Mages called Nish? That is pushing it.

Sea1111

And Majiya was no more.^
    ^

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Sea1111 View Post
    And Nish? Two Mages called Nish? That is pushing it.
    I can't even find where you think Nish was around during the Last War, much less that Rothem was. I think you are misreading this line:

Quote Originally Posted by NachyoChez View Post
    The Last War approaches a thousand years gone,
    as "the Last War has been going on for a thousand years" rather than the intended "the Last War ended a thousand years ago"

Shout out to Gondorian, nerull7, Nikola D, plo, Preybird, Super Grover, and Zhou86 for submitting potential avatars!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I can't even find where you think Nish was around during the Last War, much less that Rothem was. I think you are misreading this line:

as "the Last War has been going on for a thousand years" rather than the intended "the Last War ended a thousand years ago"
    That is a major part of the incontinuity. The fact the Last War HAD happened then later it was STILL happening. Read this:

Title:

Firesday the 16th of Meadmaan, 998 L.W.

Maybe LW might not stand for Last War so let us continue.

Nishaven and Rothem were mentioned here. To save reading it all, I bolded the important sentences. And italics on the King and Nishaven's mentions.

Few men have ever claimed to climb to the peaks of Mt. Balor, yet the king seeks to build atop it! True, he's not so foolish that he believes the summit would be suitable, but I'd not be shocked to learn that he tries to add a spire to the plans to rise above the sky itself. Were I not so sure the man held the priesthoods in such high regard, I'd swear the fool was trying to end me all on his own. Wasn't Nishaven raised alongside him to be an adviser the man could trust? Bah, too much of the king's pride is in both of them!

To prove this is not just an ordinary King and IS Rothem here it is earlier in it:

Rothem has always been a good man, and a fair king, but sometimes I think there's too much history in his blood.

And the date could have stood for something else? Well here is the proof:

I hold little hope that Snomaan or Wolfmaan will hold any better tidings, and so thus I pray to Arada that the final year of the Last War's millennium will bring some much needed cause for relaxation.

That last sentence proves that this was during the Last War, by saying that the Last War was nearly reaching its 1,000th year.
    Last edited by Sea1111; 04-29-2013 at 03:49 PM.

Sea1111

And Majiya was no more.^
    ^

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Sea, I'm not quite sure where the confusion came from, but I sincerely apologize.

The Last War ended in 0 L.W. (you're correct that L.W. is indeed abbreviated for the war.) Rothem and Nishaven were not present for it; they are however planning a massive celebration for the millennium-anniversary of it's ending. Only Arthyle was there for the battle and the Shadow War today.

Hope that helps!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I think Sea's confusion is that he thinks Wizent's Journal is being written after the Last War has been going on for 1,000 years, as opposed to having ended 1,000 years ago. So, to try and get some continuity (and Nachyo and correct it if it's wrong):

0 LW - The Last War Ends

998 LW - The events in Wizent's Journal 1 - the war against the Shadow hasn't started yet (note: not what Loest is doing, but what Wizent wrote).

Later that year - The events in Wizent's Journal 2 (this thread). Note that, again, this does not include Loest's actions. Also, Wizent's dreams, specs of shadow in the light of Balor, are apparently precognitive.

Some point later, probably the next year - the opening of Gunther's background, where he has found Rothem dead and accuses Nishaven.

The current war starts somewhere around here with creatures such as Firesnake arriving undetected.

Nishaven runs, events of the Prologue to CotC.

Loest reads Wizent's Journals, including sections we have not seen yet that talk about some prophecy, and eventually reaches the united armies of Balor.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by NachyoChez View Post
    Sea, I'm not quite sure where the confusion came from, but I sincerely apologize.

The Last War ended in 0 L.W. (you're correct that L.W. is indeed abbreviated for the war.) Rothem and Nishaven were not present for it; they are however planning a massive celebration for the millennium-anniversary of it's ending. Only Arthyle was there for the battle and the Shadow War today.

Hope that helps!
    Thanks man

I think Sea's confusion is that he thinks Wizent's Journal is being written after the Last War has been going on for 1,000 years, as opposed to having ended 1,000 years ago. So, to try and get some continuity (and Nachyo and correct it if it's wrong):

0 LW - The Last War Ends

998 LW - The events in Wizent's Journal 1 - the war against the Shadow hasn't started yet (note: not what Loest is doing, but what Wizent wrote).

Later that year - The events in Wizent's Journal 2 (this thread). Note that, again, this does not include Loest's actions. Also, Wizent's dreams, specs of shadow in the light of Balor, are apparently precognitive.

Some point later, probably the next year - the opening of Gunther's background, where he has found Rothem dead and accuses Nishaven.

The current war starts somewhere around here with creatures such as Firesnake arriving undetected.

Nishaven runs, events of the Prologue to CotC.

Loest reads Wizent's Journals, including sections we have not seen yet that talk about some prophecy, and eventually reaches the united armies of Balor.
    Yep, I think that's it.

Maybe you should make Timeline if the lore gets too big in future

Sea1111

And Majiya was no more.^
    ^