Close

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Ratings and Deck Variety... Staying under 200

With the new season I decided to experiment and play around with different decks with different Heroes. The result wasn't pretty. I think I became 'ratings fodder' and could only cringe as my Heroes and Allies died in gruesome agony. Now sitting at rating 189 I've discovered a wonderful 'sub culture' of equally weird and often bizarre decks and encounter cards seldom seen ( I wouldn't play them ) Sometimes they work, more often they fail, but you don't know what you're going to see next. ( similar to Meltdown ) When I looked at games by the top players, say 280 plus, I see pretty much the same decks, but still with enough variety to keep the games interesting and intense. In playing the higher rating games you usually know what style each Hero plays, if it's an Undead or a Twilight or Ravanger deck. The under 200, you can only guess.
    This game is great because it caters for both. I'm enjoying staying under 200 this month because I like to see these different decks. If I want to see if I can reach say 300 next month I'll maybe pick one of the stronger decks and try my luck. So the monthly season has been a great innovation for many reasons...
    Last edited by Alien Fungus; 12-09-2014 at 10:56 PM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    The fun synergies have kept me under too
    BP Inactive member | IGN: SafOne

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    That's an interesting point in this game.

As I am a fairly new player I've made the same experience the other way around (climbing up in rating). For me the higher ranked games are more interesting because they are more competitive and forcing yourself to think before playing.
    Sleipnir - Deceiver of Gods
    Warrior of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn

"Who are the twain that on ten feet run? Three eyes they have, but only one tail. Alright guess now this riddle, Heithrek!"

IGN: BP Sleipnir

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Last season my climb from 0 was ruined by a Lance deck (who I fought 3 times in a row) that focused on his allies having high HP (Shieldmaiden, Lionheart, Nurturing Spring, Midnight Sentinel) and for some reason my deck just couldn't handle it. By the end of the match most of his allies were above 10 HP and there was nothing I could do.

My deck was made to perform consistently against the meta but that deck happened to counter mine perfectly. For a while I stuck around that rating trying out my own weird combinations and I saw some really creative builds like Solo Victor.
    Last edited by Ganjamus; 12-13-2014 at 08:26 PM.
    Raised in Exile. Trained in Kiptergarten. Mastering the ways of SE one step at a time.

Long live the Queen...

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I don't copy my decks from others. This usually translates into re-inventing the wheel but I am happy with it. In fact I get most of the joy from trying different ideas. Shall I add few more attachments? Then I realize my hand carries more attachments than allies I can attach them to. Increase the allies, but wait a second my draw engine got broken. Where is my item removal when I most needed. Of course my only copy sits conveniently at the bottom of the deck while I am waiting

I turned it into a bit of parody but you all know how fine tuning works specially while you are still learning, and trying to find the right balance, execute a good idea makes SE enjoyable for me. I even like the games I lost. I say "ahh this looked like a good idea but failed miserably", and I run back to deck board all excited, yelling "I found the mistake, found the mistake."

And I make changes, only to fail again miserably.

All my heroes are priest. I'll move to other classes eventually but not before mastering all 3 priest heroes. I don't run into many priests when I am paired in quick games. In another thread Jericho was mentioned as tier 4 hero. Somebody disagreed, "No" he said "he is obviously tier 3". I climbed over 200, but how long is it going to take me climb over 300. Are Jericho and I ever gonna become a top tier players? Doesn't seem very promising, does it?

All these brings two card names into my mind. First is Road Less Traveled. Second is Live Together, Die Alone.

Closing Curtain.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I think that's what makes this game great is you don't have to have the best deck to win and enjoy the game. You can have fun trying different ideas out and losing and then getting it to where it's not gonna get much better. Then trying something else. And you understand some players want to get into the Top Ten or reach +300 and the game accommodates those ambitions. Can't wait to see what 2015 brings ....maybe the rise of Logan ?

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    this is why you need 2 accounts one for when you are serious (your main) and another to have fun in the lower ratings

mine are usually always stuck in the lower ratings
    lil dark riding hood Queen of A1 Evolution in Theory
    Alliance One recruitment thread
    RED
    my EPIC videos
    Evolution in Theory
    SE Card Price Guide - My Deck Building Guide
    all my decks together
    owner of Earthen Protector flavor text
    Caitlyn™: collecting rage quits since 2011

Evolution in Theory

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Caitlyn0 View Post
    this is why you need 2 accounts one for when you are serious (your main) and another to have fun in the lower ratings

mine are usually always stuck in the lower ratings
    My second account is seriously underfunded ... But I seem to take that one more seriously