Close

View Poll Results: Was this thread helpful?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes Very helpful

1 6.67%
  • Mostly helpful

5 33.33%
  • Kinda Helpful

2 13.33%
  • Helpful

3 20.00%
  • Not really helpful

4 26.67%
  • Waste of my time

1 6.67%
  • Why am I doing this?

1 6.67%
  • I didn't read anything on this thread

1 6.67%
  • I want to go home now

1 6.67%
  • ..... STUPID!!!!........

1 6.67%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I agree with what Raphael says pretty much. On the topic of Sparks, I'll give the opposite advice of "don't play too cautiously". If they start with a Spark, go ahead and summon that Fire Snake turn 1. There's a 50% chance that the Spark will be alone, and that's a quick +1 card advantage for you. If your opponent does have a second Spark, your Fire Snake absorbs 2 damage for you, which you'll need because your opponent will follow the Sparks with a Gargoyle and then a Bloodlust. In the rare case that he has three Sparks by turn two, well, you're screwed anyway (unless you're Banebow), so it does not matter.

Basically, assume they only have one Spark unless you see two.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by proter45 View Post
    2)Please keep all of your games friendly. Although I do think its funny when I am beating the crap out of someone and they start talking crap, you don't have to do so, just quit, you know that your going to lose, there's no point in being ignorant!
    I always find it best to offer a "Good game" before quitting (if losing) -- manners, always manners. And if I'm pasting someone I usually say "Bad luck. :-(" Again, a little humility doesn't cost you anything.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Had a Zaladar game where the guy managed to save up 4 sparks in his hand along with Shard and a Bloodlust. It was my first time seeing that combo and it blindsided me. Granted, that's a perfect draw but it could happen (and cheesed me out XD )

1.27 Tournament Champion Raphael Majere's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    My tip is just take it easy.

I was once too blinded by the attractiveness of 'perfect' combos and sought to build decks like that.

In the end, the possibility of perfect combos is too narrow, even playing at 30 cards.

It's far better to build a deck with great synergy and consistent win strategy.

SE is still based on a degree of luck so you should not too concerned with losses attributed with bad luck.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    @Raphael

I agree. I'd rather have consistently strong turns rather than hinging on a combo which may not materialize.

@OP

As a general rule, I try to at least trade 1 for 1 (cards) against an opponents allys/spells. I find that I that I can slowly edge him out when I force 2 for 1 trades.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    All of the advice in here is really good, but the important thing is that none of it is set in stone. For example: some of the hardest matches I've had recently were vs. extremely large decks. I'm currently playing an Elementalis mill at 40 cards, and it's incredibly difficult to mill someone whose deck is half again the size of yours. My wins against those decks have largely depended on the luck of their draws. Also: while it is important to have a rough plan for the next couple of turns at all points, you still need to be flexible. You may not draw that card you need, you might draw another card, your opponent may play Night Prowler and steal that card right from your hand (I loved doing that when I played my Lance deck). The most important thing is simply getting the experience so you know what you can expect.
    Congratulations to Preybird for designing my Avatar!

In Game Handle: Warr Byrd

Contributions to the Game:
    Flavor text for Wild Berserker: The odds are always in my favor
    PFG3: To Be Released Soon™

Tournament Wins: None, I'm Timmy Johnny not Spike!

Shout out to Gondorian, nerull7, Nikola D, plo, Preybird, Super Grover, and Zhou86 for submitting potential avatars!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavrin View Post
    @Raphael

I agree. I'd rather have consistently strong turns rather than hinging on a combo which may not materialize.

@OP

As a general rule, I try to at least trade 1 for 1 (cards) against an opponents allys/spells. I find that I that I can slowly edge him out when I force 2 for 1 trades.
    That's the core of the SE game, buddy.

Exploiting the card advantage. For example, SS bow kills a ally with 4 life, gains 3 life and yet remains on board as a threat. That gain of 3 life also means that a previous attack by the enemy ally is 'wasted'.

Zaladar - 3 dmg combined with DR attack or ally attack, removal of potentially 2 allies.

Enrage - gains you 10 life, effectively wasting 2 Fireballs and 6 resources that your opponent's hero mage casted.

The most basic one - allies give u a constant source of damage.

Trying to gain as much card advantage in games yield you the wins.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Warr Byrd View Post
    The most important thing is simply getting the experience so you know what you can expect.
    I agree. At every of your opponent's turn.

For example,

Going 1st. Opponent cast t2 Blake.

- do you want to cast a Jas and risk her being killed by Blake/aldon combo?

At t5, going first, do you want to summon another ally when vs priests? Will he TW in next rd?

Same scenario vs Zal, will he have a MC in hand on his t5?

The more you play, the better you can anticipate what moves your opponent will make.

That results in you having a increased sense on what to sac.

And that my friend, is one of the most valued skill in SE.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Raphael Majere View Post
    The more you play, the better you can anticipate what moves your opponent will make.

That results in you having a increased sense on what to sac.

And that my friend, is one of the most valued skill in SE.
    This.

Once you sac, you can't get that card back anymore. It rewards you well for good plays though

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    great post, im loving everything here!