Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Please Critique My Boris Deck

Below is my first deck, a 40 card Boris deck. I just started playing 3 days ago so feel free to give helpful advice on what to improve.

UPADTE 3/13
    Hero
    x1 Boris

Allies:
    x2 Krisoffer Wyld
    x3 Jasmine
    x3 Birgitte Skullborn
    x3 Aldon the Brave
    x2 Raven
    x2 Puwen
    x1 Aeon
    x2 Oracles

Total: 18 Allies

Abilities:
    x2 War Banner
    x2 Enrage
    x3 Smashing Blow
    x1 Rampage
    x2 Retreat
    x2 Crippling blow
    x2 Extra Sharp
    x2 Blood Frenzy

Total: 16

Items:

x2 King's Pride
    x3 Jeweler's Dream

Total: 5
    Last edited by GalenMoo; 03-14-2012 at 06:07 AM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    -2 blake (even w/ 4 birgette he is just a risk; read: death mage thaddeus)
    -1 good ascendent (you won't draw 1 card enough to counter 1 other)
    -1 reserve weapon (1 more jd is cheaper/better)
    -1 birgette (good, but I took out for puwen)
    -1 armored sandworm (too many)

+ 1 aldon (a buff that does damage)
    + 1 enrage/rampage (your call, healing is good though)
    + 1 jeweler's dream (legit)
    + 1 smashing blow (very necessary!)
    + 2 puwen (you need some t2 representation, he does it best)

Good deck, you definitely got the right idea on what boris should be doing from what I've seen.
    Last edited by akratch; 03-11-2012 at 06:34 AM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I pretty much agree with akratch. Posting from my iPad so not going to be too detailed.

Generally these are my thoughts:

Too much 1 cc creatures. I'd shoot for like 5 or 6 max. Mix it up how you see fit but kris can make insane moves possible in a pinch.
    Puwen is a much safer 2 cc option I wouldn't run Blake
    Jasmin and Alden are the main work horses of a warrior deck ... I'd recommend like 3 of each of them.
    2 or maybe 3 sand worms are enough. You'll have lots of draws before you'll be casting them.
    I'd never go with a deck that doesn't have 3 smashing blows. Equipment will cause you death often if you can't deal with it.
    Probably the biggest card warriors have and you'll want to run is blood frenzy. I recommend 4 of them.
    For healing, just my thoughts but you get way more value out of enrage when you are needing to heal.
    Enrage is the equivalent to killing 5 guys with rampage .. Immediately and at the same resource cost.
    Spending 4 resources on rampage has never really paid off for me, but enrage has won many games.

Give some of those things a try and see what you think. It looks like you are on the right track.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Thanks for the advice! I was wondering how important are the priest of the light, sever ties and Kurt Whitehelm. Also, I received Aeon from a pack and Im debating if I should add it to my deck. Thoughts?
    Last edited by GalenMoo; 03-11-2012 at 07:54 AM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by GalenMoo View Post
    Thanks for the advice! I edited my deck and was left with 2 extra cards. I was wondering how important are priest of the light, sever ties and Kurt Whitehelm.
    Priest can be pretty useful, the problem I'm finding with priest is there are so many 3 cc things to do now with blood frenzy now costing 3. There are times I'll have a jasmine and not have board control and she won't survive to use her ability the priest when casted at least does his ability right away. I still like jasmine better then priest. The other nice thing about jasmine is her ability costs a hit with jeweled dream so it flows nicely.

Sever ties can be useful for sure, I don't run them but I see the value of them.

Kurt I've never tried or played against one; not really sold on him. I'd take the wulven tracker over him any day lol. Too bad we didn't get that ally.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by DRoy777 View Post
    Priest can be pretty useful, the problem I'm finding with priest is there are so many 3 cc things to do now with blood frenzy now costing 3. There are times I'll have a jasmine and not have board control and she won't survive to use her ability the priest when casted at least does his ability right away. I still like jasmine better then priest. The other nice thing about jasmine is her ability costs a hit with jeweled dream so it flows nicely.

Sever ties can be useful for sure, I don't run them but I see the value of them.

Kurt I've never tried or played against one; not really sold on him. I'd take the wulven tracker over him any day lol. Too bad we didn't get that ally.
    Both Wulven Tracker and Kurt are pretty bad. Wulven Tracker, if he stays on board, is good but he never will stay on board. His ability is good, his body isn't.

Kurt is good against abilities and that's about it. If you can get a Kurt out and you know your opponent has no allies nor Supernova/Tidal Wave/Mind Control available, he is very good. Most decks do have stuff to kill it with so there are better t4 plays.

Use either Enrage or Rampage, not both. I would also say Crippling Blow over Retreat but that's just me. Otherwise take most 1-of cards out and make more important cards 3x or 4x. 1x Sever Ties is usually enough but I can see why you added 2.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Airact View Post
    Use either Enrage or Rampage, not both.
    Why not both?

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

late game problem

your deck seems strong but from what i can make out you may face problems late game since most of your allies are low on cost and health except for sandworm and aeon.
    i would advise adding
    +1 Aeon
    +2 Aldon
    +2 Tainted Oracle
    +4 Crippling blow
    +2 Armor of Ages
    Last edited by Speed Freak; 03-11-2012 at 09:04 PM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Speed Freak View Post
    your deck seems strong but from what i can make out you may face problems late game since most of your allies are low on cost and health except for sandworm and aeon.
    i would advise adding
    +1 Aeon
    +2 Aldon
    +2 Tainted Oracle
    +4 Crippling blow
    +2 Armor of Ages
    I dont understand whats the point of adding Tainted Oracle and Armor of Ages. I also alrdy have 3 Aldon so i wont need 2 more. Since I'm using Blood Frenzy i wont need the Oracles.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Galen I agree with Airact I'd take most all those 1 of and add more of a focus. It is tempting to add many things that may appear to give you different options to deal with many aspects of the game but what you'll most likely find is that you won't have them when you need them or they aren't really effective in accomplishing a goal. Before looking at the cards I'd say figure out what you want your deck to do.

Look at early mid and late game as well as board control both in and out of your favor. The main point I think is to remember that it will be tempting to add a little of this and a little of that, but you will most likely be better of staying focused as Airact pointed out.