Close

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Damage Types Breakdown

I love the different damage types: fire, ice, etc. So I counted up all the cards that dealt with this so I could see how Shattered Fates is affecting things on this front. And now I'm sharing this information with you.

First let's look at all the cards that deal a specific type of damage from all the sets.

Call of the Crystals

8 Fire Damage Cards (Majiya, Molten Destroyer, Fireball, Nova Infusion, Engulfing Flames, Supernova, Wrath of Summer, Flaming Arrow)
    2 Ice Damage Cards (Eladwen, Ice Storm)
    4 Freezing Cards (Eladwen, Freezing Grip, Voice of Winter, Snow Sapphire)
    4 Electrical Damage Cards (Nishaven, Zaladar, Lightning Strike, Violet Thunderstorm)
    2 Arcane Damage Cards (Arcane Burst, Smite)
    4 Poison Cards (Cobra Demon, Poison Arrow, Poison Gas, Sorcerous Poison)

Dark Prophecies

4 Fire Damage Cards (Furrion Terror, Meteor Storm, Sacred Fire Walker, Blazing Sheild)
    2 Ice Damage Cards (Darkwood Wraith, Forsted Urigon)
    2 Freezing Cards (Frosted Urigon, Kelvin's Charm)
    4 Electrical Damage Cards (Radient Wisp, Death Collector, Io Void Leviathan, Static Shock)
    3 Arcane Damage Cards (Sacred Fire Walker, Incense of Atonement, Madelain's Staff)
    0 Poison Cards

Shattered Fates (Beta)

12 Fire Damage Cards (Raikka Spellseeker, Spitfire Hound, Flameborn Defiler, Brimstone Devourer, Infernus Tyrant of the Damned, Incindiary Curse, Phoenix Urigon, Venomflame Archer, Embers of the Just, Charred Cowl of the Damned, Flameforged Scepter, Emore Crossbow)
    7 Ice Damage Cards (Plightbred Runt, Frostmare, Cryptspawn Hound, Gravemonger, Voracious Arachnid, Der'kan the Bone King, Urigon's Fang)
    1 Freezing Card (Urigon's Fang)
    5 Electrical Damage Cards (Fortified Wisp, Thunderstrike Construct, Thunderstone Golem, Shocking Grasp, Shock Conductor)
    11 Arcane Damage Cards (Threbin the Righteous, Guardian of Unaxio, Zealous Mystic, Avenger of the Fallen, Templar Champion, Devoted Knight, Righteous Strike, Sindarok Apprentice, Justicar Alysia, Justicar's Cape, Rod of Smiting)
    4 Poison Cards (Garth Ravensoul, Skervox, Venomflame Archer, Garth's Concoction)

Totals

24 Fire Cards
    11 Ice Cards
    7 Freezing Cards
    12 Electrical Cards
    16 Arcane Cards
    8 Poison Cards

(I would like to point out there are some cards that get counted twice like Sacred Fire Walker and Urigon's Fang)

Now let's take a look at what cards are actually affected by these damage types (because if nothing was then this would all be meaningless)

Call of the Crystals

Nothing CotC had not really implemented what damage types meant yet.

Dark Prophecies

Fire
    Paladin of Unaxio: All fire damage done to friendly allies is reduced by 1.
    Furrion Terror: Immune to Fire Damage.
    Frosted Urigon: -1 attack when hit by fire damage.

Ice
    Paladin of Unaxio: All ice damage done to friendly allies is reduced by 1.
    Furrion Terror: Dies from any ice damage.
    Frosted Urigon: Immune from Ice damage.

Freezing
    Furrion Terror: Dies from being frozen.
    Frosted Urigon: Cannot be frozen.
    Shatter Ice: All frozen allies are exiled.
    Karlstrad: Cannot be frozen.

Electrical
    Voltair's Ring: +1 to all electrical damage.

Arcane
    Nothing

Poison
    Bounty Hunter: When a poisoned opposing allies dies, you gain one resource.

Dark Prophecies started to implement meaning for some of the damage types being developed.

Shattered Fates

Fire
    Flameborn Defiler: Immune from fire damage.
    Infernus, Tyrant of the Damned: Opposing allies take +1 fire damage.

Ice
    Nothing! (And I definitely think this is a problem, not a single cards deals with ice damage in the new expansion)

Freezing
    Dakrath: Cannot be frozen.

Electrical
    Thunderstone Golem: Immune from electrical damage.

Arcane
    Scriptures of the Righteous: If you dealt arcane damage draw a card.
    Justicar Alysia: Arcane Damage +1

Poison
    Nothing

Shattered Fates added some more cards that deal with these damage types. It give fire more meaning. Electrical damage should become much more important, and Arcane has Scriptures of the Righteous which looks like a really cool card for Threbin (or maybe even some arcane warrior deck?). But Ice damage really takes a back seat and becomes more obscure. Frostmare seems helpful when taking out a Furrion Terror, but other than that it's pretty meaningless.

Conclusion

Some things I noticed while making this list were... The humans have no allies that can deal fire or ice damage (Frosted Urigon is a mage card). The Shadow cannot deal Arcane damage (which makes sense). And everyone has access to electrical damage. Poison damage is mainly for the hunters and rogues, which works.

I like how fire, electrical, and arcane are being implemented and there looks to be a lot of synergy among these types of damage. However, I don't like how Shatter Ice didn't get much help and that "ice damage" is still pretty meaningless only being affected by three cards. Sorry Eladwen but an Ice Queen deck doesn't look possible at the moment.

The way I would change this (granted I have not played with the cards yet considering the beta has yet to be released), but I would change two cards.

First I would give Infernus, Tyrant of the damned a clause where he loses his passive abilities if frozen, that way Shatter Ice can still be used on him and he has a counter --> freezing grip. Unless they want him to be immune from Shatter Ice. . . Plus if Ice was a little more powerful I think it would give a chance for Eladwen to create ice based decks instead of just rush decks. (I mean what other hero is going to be creating ice decks? Gravebone?)

Second card I would change is Flameborn Defiler. If you're going to have an immunity to fire damage, I think you need a weakness to ice. Doesn't have to be a lot, but just something like freezing and ice damage deals +1 damage to him. (That might be a little much but you get the point.)

Thanks for reading and I hope this helped you see how Shattered Fates is going to affect the damage types.
    Last edited by AnomalousT; 01-08-2014 at 09:31 PM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Hey thank you.
    I just wantesd to say two things about these damage types
    1. I always found it strange that ice damage and freezing are two different things, I know freezing is not like making damage but hey with what are you freezing someone? With Ice...Just my opinion that these two should have been one type but now it's too late and they envolved in two different ways
    2. Arcane damage was in CotC and DP mainly for Priests besides Arcane Burst for Mages with Shattered Fates could every Human Hero play with it.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I think it's still not so clear why did they implemented various damage types. But it may be clear with further expansions.
    Also I would like to see if the various damage types oppose each other. Like in the case of fire and ice.
    Perhaps they can do something like in the game of stone, paper and scissors, one damage type is strong against another but may be week against another and somehow make a chain out of it. That would be quite awesome to see.
    Last edited by Scout; 01-08-2014 at 09:46 PM.
    IGN: TJ Scout
    Telegram: @shubham1309

"Scout is a hacker we should report him" - SK Trinolcour

Team Juggernauts Recruitment Thread

Link to TJ forum
    IRC

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Infernus does look strong now, but all he is is just a big Steadfast fatty like Karios. You are basically trading in the "bodyguard" effect and 1 HP for 3 more damage (Counting the +1 to fire damage). Plus, there is a small influx of ally removal cards for every Hero (This is counting The Bigger They Are and The Harder They Fall) in SF so having a Steadfast behemoth like Infernus is not that big of a deal.

Flameborn Defiler is just Molten Destroyer with a slightly stronger effect. He is no harder to get rid of compared to Destroyer. Same stats and everything. Just the fire immunity makes him require different cards.

Judging from your position, you seem to be a very diehard Mage player who seems very concerned about these allies. I honestly would not be so concerned judging by how they are on paper right now. Mages just got IMHO the single best ally removal card in the game in the form of Transmogrification Curse. That deals with both of those allies with such ease and also puts them into a situation where they cannot be recycled back from the graveyard (Or at least until it is destroyed).
    I like my weapons how I like my music. Heavy and metal!
    -Mordekaiser

Writer of Falseblood Cultist and Thriss Crucible flavor texts.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Daddy Is Here View Post
    I think it's still not so clear why did they implemented various damage types. But it may be clear with further expansions.
    Also I would like to see if the various damage types oppose each other. Like in the case of fire and ice.
    Perhaps they can do something like in the game of stone, paper and scissors, one damage type is strong against another but may be week against another and somehow make a chain out of it. That would be quite awesome to see.
    The idea is good but they have to implement it also on old cards from CotC and DP and they'll never do this. Also this requires a new wording for the cards. But you are right it's strange that sometimes a fire-typ ally got hit with ice it got weaker or death and sometimes nothing happens besides the normal damage value.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    @AnamalousT : Good work. Nice to read. A good way to start learning SF cards (better than memorize the list)
    Proud member of A1 - Alliance One
    There are three kinds of men:
    The living, the dead and those who go to the Sea!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaos Dark View Post
    Infernus does look strong now, but all he is is just a big Steadfast fatty like Karios. You are basically trading in the "bodyguard" effect and 1 HP for 3 more damage (Counting the +1 to fire damage). Plus, there is a small influx of ally removal cards for every Hero (This is counting The Bigger They Are and The Harder They Fall) in SF so having a Steadfast behemoth like Infernus is not that big of a deal.

Flameborn Defiler is just Molten Destroyer with a slightly stronger effect. He is no harder to get rid of compared to Destroyer. Same stats and everything. Just the fire immunity makes him require different cards.

Judging from your position, you seem to be a very diehard Mage player who seems very concerned about these allies. I honestly would not be so concerned judging by how they are on paper right now. Mages just got IMHO the single best ally removal card in the game in the form of Transmogrification Curse. That deals with both of those allies with such ease and also puts them into a situation where they cannot be recycled back from the graveyard (Or at least until it is destroyed).
    I'm not worried about the mages. And I don't really see Infernus or Flameborn as OP at all. What I am worried about is the ice damage. We have an electrical +1 card (Voltair) an Arcane +1 card (Alysia) and a fire +1 card (Infernus), where is the love for ice? And just adding a +1 Ice damage card later on seems very boring. So how do you give ice damage an edge? In my mind, you need to give fire stuff an ice weakness. Just a couple of allies. Plus I'm not in love with the mages, I'm in love with the elements. So I kind of default to the mages as a result.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    It may just me but ice dmg isn't as cool as watching three opp allies gettin exiled. Had it happen to me. Well it was two but you get my point.
    Don't underplay SI. Granted its costly somewhat but I personally feel done right it can be just as good as a plus 1 ice dmg.

Either way. Very nice of you to put this tigether. Cool read.

Side note. Never understood why mages got Arcane Burst
    But I didn't make this kick ass game so go figure