Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Gondorian View Post
    OK, so I was right about him being unpredictable (does that make an oxymoron?) but wrong about him being slow (does that make me a moron?) ...

The Merchant has just done a hefty restock and is also telling players on the "Waiting for opponents" screen about it. Now he's done that, we can delve into whether having him do this kind of thing of his own accord, presumably to help players be able to get any card they want directly for gold, is something in all our interests???

Personally speaking, I think it is, so I don't have any plans to put a Captured Prey on him and take him out of action.

But that is just me. The Board of Directors and Token Holders may have other thoughts, but to make a change to our approach then that change would need to be proposed and approved. No one has even proposed such a change yet.

I hope that has cleared some more things up.
    Good to see some kind of actions regarding the topic! At least I (presumably there were no others) was getting worried about remodifying the f2p concept as no mention of merchant restocks could be found - only "you will be able to find them in the Campaign Booster packs and buy them from the in-game Merchant as others sell them".

This is the way f2p should operate imo.

Lead Developer / Designer Gondorian's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by aRa View Post
    Good to see some kind of actions regarding the topic! At least I (presumably there were no others) was getting worried about remodifying the f2p concept as no mention of merchant restocks could be found - only "you will be able to find them in the Campaign Booster packs and buy them from the in-game Merchant as others sell them".

This is the way f2p should operate imo.
    Alright. But I never said the Merchant would not restock like he always has done. A simple "Does this mean the Merchant will not be restocking?" would have worked a lot better for all of us, I think.

Did you manage to get all the cards yet then?

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Gondorian View Post
    Alright. But I never said the Merchant would not restock like he always has done. A simple "Does this mean the Merchant will not be restocking?" would have worked a lot better for all of us, I think.

Did you manage to get all the cards yet then?
    True. But as previously mentioned, I had to answer to maskee's original comment about praising new cards only with sc -theme. From there on, I arose the question whether it is the case here, and also the ideology, where the game is going or not. So it wasn't only about merchant restocking, but point understood.

Personally I haven't had the time to update the game yet so no, but was here to support non-paying players anyways and not myself with my sc stacks.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Personally I was here to support non-paying players anyways
    That makes two of us. Don't worry, we got this. Go update the game and spend some of that SC (or your gold stockpile).

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    The game isn't pay to win at all. It's pay if you want all the cards right now.

The fact that you can buy and sell individual cards in the merchant for gold is what allows you to build any deck you want. The vast amount of cards/SC/gold you can earn from just playing is what will give you the resources you need. If you can bring yourself to sell your precious foils, you can then buy many playable cards. Playing and winning consistently is key. Focus on one deck or class until you have all you need. Sell the cards you aren't using, keeping important key cards of course.

Consider meltdown, while the wait time is obnoxious sometimes, but the amount of players is fewer, which means if you put in the time and can win, you will likely get the WEEKLY prizes. You don't need cards in your collection, it's a booster draft, the playing field is leveled in that aspect. You just have to learn how to win in meltdown, playing is the only way to learn. There are so many combos that are ridiculously overpowered, learn, find and abuse them.

I'll finish with saying that if this was a play to win game, I wouldn't be here playing it. I have not spent any money, I had full non foil collection after 1 year of playing. Now 2 years later I have a pile of gold, SC, and PACs. And I've been told my stash is puny compared to many.
    Last edited by Dvsklown; 11-22-2017 at 06:21 PM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    pay to win, pay to play, free to play - these are vastly different

if this is a pay to win model, there would be a card that would be so powerful that can only be gotten by spending real money.
    pay to play - you can only play if you pay
    free to play - you don't have to pay if you don't want to and even without spending, you can collect everything.

some ppl get their panties in a bunch because the game is somehow trying to be profitable.
    Want to Join A1?

A1: Evolution in Theory. To stop evolving is to die.

It is one of my greatest hopes that in the future, mankind achieves enlightenment so high we would not need rules, laws, or government to keep the peace and govern ourselves. By our own motivation and volition, we would do what is right and just because it is right and just. This is the central tenet of anarchy. Not chaos and lawlessness, but free will and self-actualization.

Visit my blog: Potpourri

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Dvsklown View Post
    The game isn't pay to win at all. It's pay if you want all the cards right now.

The fact that you can buy and sell individual cards in the merchant for gold is what allows you to build any deck you want. The vast amount of cards/SC/gold you can earn from just playing is what will give you the resources you need. If you can bring yourself to sell your precious foils, you can then buy many playable cards. Playing and winning consistently is key. Focus on one deck or class until you have all you need. Sell the cards you aren't using, keeping important key cards of course.

Consider meltdown, while the wait time is obnoxious sometimes, but the amount of players is fewer, which means if you put in the time and can win, you will likely get the WEEKLY prizes. You don't need cards in your collection, it's a booster draft, the playing field is leveled is that aspect. You just have to learn how to win in meltdown, playing is the only way to learn. There are a few combos that are ridiculously overpowered, find and abuse them.

I'll finish with saying that if this was a play to win game, I wouldn't be here playing it. I have not spent any money, I had full non foil collection after 1 year of playing. Now 2 years later I have a pile of gold, SC, and PACs.
    No one claimed that it would be at the moment. We only had nice theoretical "discussions" of what could happen if certain methodologies were followed (which was uncertain until Gondorian cleared things up).

But for example with WC this kind of only-sc-available-cards could have been a real issue with non-spending participants.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    No one claimed that it would be at the moment. We only had nice theoretical "discussions" of what could happen if certain methodologies were followed (which was uncertain until Gondorian cleared things up).

But for example with WC this kind of only-sc-available-cards could have been a real issue with non-spending participants.
    That is true, I've been so busy haven't given wc the attention I usually do. I didn't even consider that. Added to the fact that the update comes out 3 days before regionals, doesn't give much time for innovation of new decks using these new cards, or balancing. I understand that wc time is probably their busiest time of the year, and trying to be profitable, but maybe next year you wait until just after wc finals to drop big changes rather than right before.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dvsklown View Post
    maybe next year you wait until just after wc finals to drop big changes rather than right before.
    Yes, it's not the best timing. We had to make a judgment call based on how little the game had changed over the past year (15 new cards, mostly not tournament-viable, and maybe a couple of rounds of balance changes?). Even the most recent changes were EIGHT MONTHS AGO and now well and truly cemented. So I figured it would be far worse for WC2017 to change nothing than do what we've done here. (And if we think of general playerbase, new cards sooner is always good!) I'm really excited to see what decks people come up with and which heroes do well this time round!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    SE is free to play, and it will be in future I hope. But good game need profit. So make new cards be buyable only for SE for some time is good idea.

But the true is that before WC2017 is not best timing. If there will be some OP card or combo it's not that hard to ban it.
    IGN: TJ Maskee - Proud member of Team Juggernauts !