Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Im working on a video reply to this, I couldnt help it
    Follow my Stream - www.twitch.tv/jdambrose
    Like me on facebook - www.facebook.com/johndavidambrose
    Subscribe to me on youtube - www.youtube.com/jdalivetube

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Yikes all the comments, supporting the game, has gotten so many dislikes that I have to click show comment and YouTube thinks we are spamming.

THE SHADOW ERA ARMY FTW!

And one supporter was called a member from SE Dev Team by another. lol

And TotalBiscuit is a great reviewer. Nails the negatives and positives in the right places. But this Tom guy is just on a rampage. Yikes he even threw the cards like it cost him nothing.

TotalBiscuit FTW!
    Last edited by Sea1111; 02-07-2013 at 07:42 AM.
    Proud member of TEAM JUGGERNAUTS!

Sea1111

^^The Shadow Crystal's Energy was taken,
    Eladwen froze the enemy's Ally,
    Majiya froze as her Fire Snake dies,
    Blake Windrunner strikes the final blow, upon the enemy,
    And Majiya was no more.^
    ^

--Random Thing that I Thought Of--

My theme song, cause Gondorian forced me to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8KQmps-Sog

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    As a fan of Mr. Vasel's, I felt it necessary to address a few things about this particular review.

Tom Vasel VERY rarely gives negative or scathing reviews and almost NEVER gets angry. I was quite shocked myself, so the game must have really set him off in a bad way.

Secondly, for those of you who may not know, Tom Vasel is pretty much a celebrity in the board gaming industry/community. Whereas Totalbiscuit may be the most well known (and respected) video game critic, Tom is the most well known (and respected) board game critic.

And lastly, as someone who played the game on PC a year or so ago, I came to many of the same conclusions Tom did; very bland and uninspired. There was absolutely no compelling reason for me to play (and invest!) in it over a game like Magic.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Downer28 View Post
    As a fan of Mr. Vasel's, I felt it necessary to address a few things about this particular review.

Tom Vasel VERY rarely gives negative or scathing reviews and almost NEVER gets angry. I was quite shocked myself, so the game must have really set him off in a bad way.

Secondly, for those of you who may not know, Tom Vasel is pretty much a celebrity in the board gaming industry/community. Whereas Totalbiscuit may be the most well known (and respected) video game critic, Tom is the most well known (and respected) board game critic.

And lastly, as someone who played the game on PC a year or so ago, I came to many of the same conclusions Tom did; very bland and uninspired. There was absolutely no compelling reason for me to play (and invest!) in it over a game like Magic.
    That doesn't really excuse the bad review practices. I don't care if he gives the game a bad score or whatever as its his opinion, but he needs to properly review it. What I watched showed me that he didn't put in the time necessary to research the game. While I agree with why he was frustrated with the game (primarily the vague rules on the back of the play mat) it doesn't really excuse not learning much more about the game to review it properly.

I personally disagree with the claim that this game is uninspired (EDIT: now that I think on it, I feel you meant to say Uninspiring). It was obviously inspired by games like Magic and WoW TCG. Sure it may not have "broke new ground" as a TCG game, but it is a solid game and doesn't deserve a poor review simply based on that fact. There are plenty of good games out there that don't innovate, yet they are still good games.
    Was the Leader of Acolytes of A1

A1's Dimensional Eyes in the Sky
    A1 Alliance: Evolution in Theory
    PFG3 Leader

Was Shadow Era Community Manager

Sota, The Switch Axe Monster Hunter

"When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all."
    "Humans fight to secure peace as they envision it. The trouble is, everyone's vision is different." - Ringabel

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    SE took all the things I love about MTG, and packaged it into a mobile game I can learn and play quickly. Nothing wrong with that.
    A1 1ndeed - The Black Lotus of A1 - A1: Evolution in Theory

And who are you, the proud lord said, that I must bow so low?
    Only a cat of a different coat, that's all the truth I know.
    In a coat of gold, or a coat of red, a lion still has claws;
    And mine are long and sharp, my lord, as long and sharp as yours.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by 1ndeed View Post
    SE took all the things I love about MTG, and packaged it into a mobile game I can learn and play quickly. Nothing wrong with that.
    Shadow Era is closer to WoW TCG imo.

Shadow Era is like another WoW TCG except simplified and adding a Shadow Energy system. The reason I am not against it is because it is fun and really great. I mean I once read a book and it seemed a rip-off of another book. But sticking in it gets its own feel and become its own.

I believe Shadow Era will still have the same similarities as WoW TCG but if Wulven keep the good work up, it could become more and more unique.
    Proud member of TEAM JUGGERNAUTS!

Sea1111

^^The Shadow Crystal's Energy was taken,
    Eladwen froze the enemy's Ally,
    Majiya froze as her Fire Snake dies,
    Blake Windrunner strikes the final blow, upon the enemy,
    And Majiya was no more.^
    ^

--Random Thing that I Thought Of--

My theme song, cause Gondorian forced me to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8KQmps-Sog

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

He got frustrated by the rule description (fair enough) and then decided the game wasn't worth really looking at, obviously didn't really play it, and gave it a very shallow review (not fair enough).

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

I dunno... from watching his reviews... he's a midrate critic who doesn't bother to actually learn any of the games in more than a superficial manner... even TotalBiscuit (who does 'first impression critiques and reviews' primarily), tends to delve into more depth for the games he reviews/critiques. Just in a quick skim of his channel, he seems to throw out brash reviews to 'view farm' from time to time, which throws him into the category of the 'bad' critic. He may have a following, and people may enjoy his content, but it doesn't mean his reviews are of any level of quality.

I actually preferred Ryan Metzler's content than Tom Vasel's... since it feels more in-depth and like he actually spends the time learning the game to a more developed level, before passing judgment.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I am a fan of Shadow Era, and have played it for a long while. I have also watched alot of Tom Vasel videos.

I kinda have to agree with some of his points, about the physical card game. To all the people attacking him, try to imagine never having played Shadow Era electronically, and having to pick up the game from reading the sub par instructions.

He reviewed the game for what it is in the box, not the awesomeness that is the shadow era online experience. I do think he whent overboard, but this is a guy who is passionate about games. Seeing a game that might give someone who just got in to playing card games a bad experiance, he is hurt, on that persons behalf.

I kinda allways saw the physical cards as a bit of a fan item, a gimmick, for the simple reason that the play style of that many counters and dice simply dont lend well to a card game, IMHO.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Qess View Post
    I am a fan of Shadow Era, and have played it for a long while. I have also watched alot of Tom Vasel videos.

I kinda have to agree with some of his points, about the physical card game. To all the people attacking him, try to imagine never having played Shadow Era electronically, and having to pick up the game from reading the sub par instructions.

He reviewed the game for what it is in the box, not the awesomeness that is the shadow era online experience. I do think he whent overboard, but this is a guy who is passionate about games. Seeing a game that might give someone who just got in to playing card games a bad experiance, he is hurt, on that persons behalf.

I kinda allways saw the physical cards as a bit of a fan item, a gimmick, for the simple reason that the play style of that many counters and dice simply dont lend well to a card game, IMHO.
    That is why I say he has a legitimate claim to the physical game, as I've stated in other posts.

However the line "play style of that man counters and dice simply dont lend well to a card game" does annoy me a bit. I have to have counters and dice when playing Magic just as much as Shadow Era. =/ You know how annoying it is to keep track of prototype portal'ing porototype portals or 55 65/65 darksteal juggernauts? all the +1/+1 counters, different effects to keep in mind, infection, ect. Seems the same level of frustration on that front imo.

Btw, those are the kind of situations I encounter every single time I play Magic. I realize that some games of Magic do not require such extensive use of counters. However, I still stand by my point because most games seem to turn out that way. I won't pretend to know a lot about competitive magic or anything like that. Another thing, is despite my "frustration" with the counters in magic, I don't view it as a problem.
    Last edited by Demnchi; 02-07-2013 at 05:03 PM.
    Was the Leader of Acolytes of A1

A1's Dimensional Eyes in the Sky
    A1 Alliance: Evolution in Theory
    PFG3 Leader

Was Shadow Era Community Manager

Sota, The Switch Axe Monster Hunter

"When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all."
    "Humans fight to secure peace as they envision it. The trouble is, everyone's vision is different." - Ringabel