Close

Page 12 of 49 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I do think that they shouldn't make these changes, since we are close to the final release of the set. Also, we should remember that the last update changed almost nothing on the cards and now that we expected to see the final result we are seeing more and huge changes. DT said that WC was the big test for the set but they seem to not get the point that we are fine now. They have overtweaked the cards that now most players will probably feel that they are beta testing 3 or 4 sets, however the truth is that we still are in the same set!
    Devoted Protector of the Phoenix's Ashes
    Warrior of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn

Bounty Price series: The mercenary challenge | The toll bridge | The Conq's tea
    Other tournaments: Battle of Ages | The Fighting Buddy | The War Games
    BP Bobbypim's expansion: Dwarven Aid | Undead Siege | Viking Storm | Coming of Dragons
    Useful links: Colosal's guide for TO

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Ganjamus View Post
    Yes, actually. I'm excited to use it in Praxix decks. Guaranteed 2 damage ping to the hero with the potential to nuke something else.

Old Harbinger was bad design IMO. It relied on luck for its stats, which was the ONLY reason people played it in non-discard decks. In actual discard decks it allowed for a problematic 2/4 that could also summon a 3/2 or just nuke enemy 2 drops. It can still do the latter while always retaining its 2 attack.
    I don't really see why I would want to hand cards back to my opponent. That can really backfire if you don't find anything from his deck your opponent can't use. Which would be ironic considering he packed it himself in the first place.

The trouble with HoL now is that people wont bother using him anymore. You say he can still summon 3/2 and Brimstone ping, but thats for discard, which we can all agree is nerfed right, left and centre. In other decks you will see Karash taking over again.
    Last edited by Lightning Fury; 01-13-2015 at 11:20 PM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    So many interesting non OP things nerfed into uselessness including the main new archetype. Dagger in Aramia was honestly the only thing that I found troubling and that could have been removed from mages pool and aramia given some nice things in the next set.

Its like Gondorian has been kidnapped and replaced by Serena Thoughtripper who has made all these changes.

DON'T implement the nerfs and just release the set. Stop tweaking things just for the sake of covering up the fact the art is not yet finished.
    IGN: A1 Flibber

signature IG message: "the game has already started"

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Fury View Post
    I don't really see why I would want to hand cards back to my opponent. That can really backfire if you don't find anything from his deck your opponent can't use. Which would be ironic considering he packed it himself in the first place.
    You can put 2 allies on the top of his deck and then you activate Praxix ability. This way you are sure to discard at least 2 allies. And you also dealt 2 damage to the opposing hero.
    It's a decent card for Praxix, I don't know if I'd use it, but it makes sense for him.
    ~~-~~-~~-~~-~~-~~-~~-~~-~~-~~-~~-~~-~~~~-~~-~~-~~-~~-~~

IGN: 17 Shining

1lluminati in 7enebris

Lead Developer / Designer Gondorian's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fionn Maccumhail View Post
    Its like Gondorian has been kidnapped and replaced by Serena Thoughtripper who has made all these changes.
    When have I ever been credited for making good changes? No, I'm still the same guy acting as part of a Design Team who collectively come up with these changes.

BTW, has anyone compiled a list of all card changes since this went to closed beta? I'd be interested to see it, but I don't have time to compile it.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Nothing that got nerfed needs to be nerfed.
    Praxix and servos fine because no one uses them. They might be better.
    Ythan fine
    Don't screw with krygon. He's fine and will become almost useless.
    Don't screw with harbinger. He's fine as is.
    Stop tinkering. I hate people that fix things that are not broke.
    E.T.C.

ENJOY THAT CATHETER

Hey I'm nurse. What do you want from me?

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Lahiri View Post
    You can put 2 allies on the top of his deck and then you activate Praxix ability. This way you are sure to discard at least 2 allies. And you also dealt 2 damage to the opposing hero.
    It's a decent card for Praxix, I don't know if I'd use it, but it makes sense for him.
    that's one possible use.
    You can also use it to get an extra 2 cards discarded. Since putting cards back is optional.
    You can use it for the damage - not optimal but it's some extra damage that then combos with the buff to praxix.
    You can use it to seed the top of the opponent's deck with useless cards. For example, make sure that the next two cards they draw will be kristoffer wyld or bazaar or some other card that does minimal damage to your strategy. Combined with Praxix's discard you can be certain that there will be a good selection of cards in the graveyard to choose from. This detracts from the goals of a pure mill strategy, but it helps to stall, which can be helpful. You can use this stall to get more mill cards in your own hand to hit them once they use up their useless cards, or you can use it to build up the board and go for damage. Essentially then the goal of the deck is not 'mill as many cards as possible as fast as possible' but rather, 'mill the right cards' and only let the opponent see the mediocre/useless cards. It adds a level of strategic depth to the mill approach.
    Last edited by bobrossw; 01-14-2015 at 12:02 AM.
    IGN: ETC BobRoss
    "BobRoss puts the 'bRo' in Boss" - Gondorian
    Proud Member of ETC - Errors Terrors & Carers
    Europe/Africa Regional Champion 2014 (also top 8 in World Championship)
    See some videos with commentary of some of my Serena Games on Shadowera.net
    I also do a video show with TJ SamuelJ - Bob and Sam Trollin it Up!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Fury View Post
    Falling back on the age old template of CotC + DP just because you created something new (+powerful) doesnt bode well for the future of this game. How many times are we going to stand here in this very spot later on, discussing why -insert cool card name here- HAD to be nerfed in order for people to start using less played cards?

I mean what would be the point?
    How many times have we stood at this spot in the past?

Simply put Discard Zal was overnerfed. Sure it may have been (a little) too strong in the beginning but the best and most exciting new mechanic of the game has now lost all its edge. People complained that Zal was too fast, well he has to be. Even with his tools he can't come back from a lost board unlike Priests or Mages. He can contest a board sure but with weak draw and 4 and 5 cost control tools that target 1 or 2 targets maximum he can't deal with ally flood. Zaladar next to never wins a game cleanly, your opponent is always a turn or two away from stealing it from you. And given all of his discard allies have no survivability he needs to get the hits in and get them in quick before his opponent can respond. The speed just keeps getting taken away from him, and that's what's killing him.

To make discard worthwhile you literally have to dedicate your entire deck to it which means no room for counters, no room for tough early allies, no room for late game thumpers. All you have is a bunch of 3 health allies that need other cards to work with them. If all goes well it's explosive, but there are too many holes in his game now, holes which were formally mitigated by his powerful rush & burn. The older DP style strategies still work, but they have lost a lot of power too due to the improved efficiency of other classes removal. Zal seems to keep getting pushed back while other classes forge ahead.

Basically he's now solidly Tier 2. It's sad because the deck was exciting but it was very beatable even back then, people just didn't give themselves time to adjust before crying for the nerfhammer (a common thing here).

But Zal isn't the only victim:

Aetherborn Aramia (which wasn't OP at all, it was just explosive when it worked)
    Undead Moonstalker (very strong admittedly, but still well and truly beatable)
    Hammer Amber (Looked super strong but in reality didn't do much because too much of the deck was dedicated to speeding up Hammer arrival)

Think about these decks now, in this moment, and you'll realise there are plenty of ways around them.
    Extra Tough Claws - Proud Member of ETC

Articles | Decklist | Fan Fiction

Shadow Era Art Thread | PB @ DeviantArt

PFG Member | I've been interviewed!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Preybird View Post
    But Zal isn't the only victim:

Aetherborn Aramia (which wasn't OP at all, it was just explosive when it worked)
    Undead Moonstalker (very strong admittedly, but still well and truly beatable)
    Hammer Amber (Looked super strong but in reality didn't do much because too much of the deck was dedicated to speeding up Hammer arrival)
    I'd like to know the reasons for these nerfs.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by bobrossw View Post
    IMO the problem is the premise - discarding cards is a bad or rare thing.
    the thing is, discard is NOT a "bad" or "rare" thing. it's a mechanic. it's not intrinsically good, it's not intrinsically bad. it's something that is part of the game. and card games are all about Utilizing Mechanics. if a hero comes out who uses the discard mechanic as a resource to fuel synergistic plays, then it's not bad. it's good. if a hero comes out that uses discard to deck their opponent, then it's not a good thing, it's a bad thing. it's all about the design focus that was developed.

and clearly, the design team wanted discard to be both a good and bad thing, depending on how it was used!

look at warriors. one of their key cards, since the conception of the game, was a card that ticked damage on you every turn and gave you an extra draw. they used the mechanic of health loss to promote synergy. it's just the nature of the card game.

there is nothing inherently bad about discard. it's all about how the mechanic was meant to be used. and, when it first debuted, it was probably one of the most interesting developments in the game because there were no real self-mutilating decks in the meta. but now it's being slowly gutted, and its a shadow of what it was. it's still sort of potent, but nowhere near as interesting and novel as it was.

we can only hope set 4 sets back on the right track and breaks new ground again, making gutted archetypes like discard cool and interesting again, while also adding even more novel mechanics that make players change the way they approach the game.
    85-Card mini-set: Gate of the Steelbound.

So you want to take a poll? ∙ Affectionate TVTransvestite TwinRacist CowBag of Dicks

The pen is mightier than the sword, but actions speak louder than words.
    Knowledge is Power, Power Corrupts.
    Sometimes a little chaos is in order.