Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

The game is so different--and better--at 40 cards

Unlike a lot of my A1 teammates, I didn't get a real chance to play the 40-card format until Kyle finally released 1.26 for iOS devices (the web client and Mac app version both run too hot/noisy on my MacBookPro).

Now that I've been playing in the 40-card ladder (and watching *lots* of replays from other players in the Ladder40), it's clear that 40 cards is superior in every way. The meta is much more open, there's a lot more opportunity for the tide to swing either way in a game, and there's a lot fewer rock-paper-scissors matchups because you cannot tune a deck so tightly to be an auto-win in certain matchups. Even with known "best" decks, there's still a degree of uncertainty that is much more like it was in MtG, for example.

And yes, the current card pool *totally* supports variety and hard choices even in the 40-card format. You still struggle just as much to decide on which 39 cards to put in the deck.

40 cards as the official format cannot come soon enough. Kyle, please don't make us wait for 1.28 to make the transition.

Anyone curious to see for themselves should go join the 40-card ladder that GondorianDotCom has set up, or just hang out in the shadowera IRC channel and ask some folks there to play you some casual 40-card games.
    Last edited by shannong; 06-29-2011 at 02:07 PM.
    Purveyor of Probability - Team A1 - How the rating system works and why high ratings act strangely
    I now play only unrated matches in the Shadow Era 40 Card Ladder at shadowera dot gondorian dot com slash ladder40
    If my IRC nick says shannong|L40 that means I'm open for a Ladder40 challenge. I'll take all comers no matter where you are on the ladder

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Agreed, Shadow Era would benefit from this. The uncertainty creates a nice level of... balance I suppose. With there being less ability to spam the power cards, there is more opportunity for others to get in.

Basically, what ^he^ said

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    +1 Hope they make 40 official soon.
    Guild: Marksmen
    "We are Hunters, and you are our prey.. Fear not the allies you can see. Fear only the arrow that will pierce through your hero.."

Check out my Videos post. I will be updating it once in a while. Bump it if you watched ^^.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Yup. 40 card decks open the possibility for more strategy, and deck construction. There is more variety in what you play. I hope this becomes a reality sooner than later.
    Test Server ID: ThEReApR
    Main Server ID: ThEReApR
    Main Server Deck Tester: Stunnah

I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Anyone with a half of a brain cell approves of this message.

Kyle, can we speed this up for 1.27??
    3.5 "Gravebella Beatdown" || KillTrend's Live Commentary
    A1 Elder
    Ingame Handles: A1 Killtrend

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Can't agree more bring it forward at 1.27 pleaseee. As if certainly spice up the battle, when i get a quick game with a player sporing a 30 card deck i can pretty much que whats in it and thats just getting boring.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I like the 40 card minimum deck size too. As for other players still playing on 30, personally, I don't mind one bit and see it as a good chance to really stress-test and tweak my 40 card decks against. Because in the live server, you don't run into many good players so their more consistent deck sometimes makes up for their skill ^^.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    update 40card minimum!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    It's scheduled for v1.28. I mean, it'd be very nice to speed this up for v1.27. I approve of this, but I can wait until v1.28.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Drakkon View Post
    It's scheduled for v1.28. I mean, it'd be very nice to speed this up for v1.27. I approve of this, but I can wait until v1.28.
    I can too, but the sooner the better for sure. It just complicates things when official tournaments are 40 card, but all other games are minimum 30.
    Test Server ID: ThEReApR
    Main Server ID: ThEReApR
    Main Server Deck Tester: Stunnah

I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'