Close

View Poll Results: Do you think we should reduce max deck size to 80 + hero for Quick Match?

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

24 42.86%
  • No

29 51.79%
  • Other

3 5.36%
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Gondorian View Post
    One word: Brexit.

More words: If the poll had been overwhelmingly one way then it would really help with the decision. Since it wasn't, the decision had to be taken based on other factors.
    What are the "other factors"...I'm still not seeing why this decision had to be made.
    Avenger of Valhalla
    Warriors of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn

Lead Developer / Designer Gondorian's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Mann View Post
    What are the "other factors"...I'm still not seeing why this decision had to be made.
    How many reasons/factors have you found so far on this thread?

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Some people complaine about stall/mill so "we" reduced deck size.Now we have more stall/mill then before.Thats why i think we got this.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    How many reasons/factors have you found so far on this thread?
    To be honest, I haven't found one reason that shows why this change was actually made (other than it's an arbitrary max deck size number)
    Avenger of Valhalla
    Greatness, Reborn

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    If you think building a larger deck and being successful with it just involves throwing everything in the deck, you've never used a Max card deck successfully.
    This is not about me and you, nor most people who voted, I consider all of us here above average player. We are a minority of player base. It is about average/below average people. This is the key argument for reducing:

What I'm concerned about is the majority of the player-base (of which half of all players are, by definition, below the mean/median average ability), so their decks won't be tuned or teched as well as yours and they won't know the right things to do to end the game fast enough before they run out of cards. They will simply lose to a person of similar ability because the other person ran more cards, and each game they start where the other deck is three times as big will be a depressing experience for them.
    Sure, there are people backing their own individual preferences here which seem therefore to be strong arguments from their perspective, but we have to consider that the vast majority of the playerbase do not read the forum, are not as skilled at building or playing as people posting here and would benefit a lot from a smaller max deck size. This change is not aimed at the elite 5% who either use tuned decks anyway or have very specific great reasons for going higher. The tournament scene is for those people, where there would be no such limit, although time-based limits may be reluctantly brought in for practical reasons. (I say reluctantly because a defined limit changes the way the game is played by some people and incomplete games need to have some result decided somehow which is not clear cut.)

I feel most of people posting on the thread missed this main point and got emotional. My question was for those who feel like collateral damage of this change. In reality this does not affect deck diversity as you can see currently in QM. You can still give yourself challenging deckbuilding goals if that is what you enjoy. There are more ways to handicap yourself than going for higher card count.
    Retired Card Game Designer

“Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments.
    The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I just saw this:
    "This change is not aimed at the elite 5% who either use tuned decks anyway or have very specific great reasons for going higher. The tournament scene is for those people, where there would be no such limit"

Does this mean that in the WC tournaments, there is no limit to max deck size?
    Avenger of Valhalla
    Greatness, Reborn

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I just saw this:
    "This change is not aimed at the elite 5% who either use tuned decks anyway or have very specific great reasons for going higher. The tournament scene is for those people, where there would be no such limit"

Does this mean that in the WC tournaments, there is no limit to max deck size?
    So far there is no deck size limit in Custom Match and I think Gondorian explicitly said that there will be no limit in CM, so I assume that this will apply for the WC but the board should be able to officially confirm this.
    Devoted Protector of the Phoenix's Ashes
    Warrior of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn

Bounty Price series: The mercenary challenge | The toll bridge | The Conq's tea
    Other tournaments: Battle of Ages | The Fighting Buddy | The War Games
    BP Bobbypim's expansion: Dwarven Aid | Undead Siege | Viking Storm | Coming of Dragons
    Useful links: Colosal's guide for TO

Lead Developer / Designer Gondorian's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BP Holy Punisher View Post
    So far there is no deck size limit in Custom Match and I think Gondorian explicitly said that there will be no limit in CM, so I assume that this will apply for the WC but the board should be able to officially confirm this.
    Since we've encouraged people to play Unrated more now to avoid damaging their 50-Match score, I've moved the 120+hero cap from QM to Custom actually since it was for performance reasons. There will be this 120+hero cap for WC but also likely some time limits so the chance of getting through so many cards is very low (as it was in QM before October).

I feel like this change to 80+hero for QM and reasons for it would be a good subject for dev blog or vlog so I will try to find time to put that together.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    why did you even run a poll since it looks like this was decided before it was posted?

not to mention when a poll is that close, you do not change anything. and really, it wasnt deck size that chases people away from this game. it was one of the more interesting things about this game in my opinion. what chases people away is slow development, bad interaction with other players and access to cards. since the latter isnt much of an issue and there isnt a whole lot you can do about stupid people, the focus should be development.

but it has always been the game model to take things away. i thought that might change but i guess not.