Close

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Need Some Majiya Help

OK, Trying to make my first mage deck (normally play hunter). I don't want to use Eldawen because lets face it, that would be too easy. However, I'm getting killed even by the computer Eldawen. Here's what I've got so far.

Allies:
    4X Infernal Gargoyle
    4X Plasma Behemoth
    4X Death Mage Thaddeus
    2X Shadow Knight

Mage Abilities
    4X Fireball
    3X Lightning Strike
    2X Research
    3X Portal
    2X Supernova

Shadow Abilities
    2X Shriek of Vengence
    2X Acid Jet
    2X Shadow Font

Other
    4X Rain Delay
    2X Bad Santa
    2X Snow Sapphire

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Mages are very tempermental heroes they can work with a bad deck, and they can fail with a good deck with simply the wrong decisions. What you have here is a very solid deck but if you are having troubles beating a computer then you may want to change up your stardegy a bit. from what i can see you probably get hands where you don't have a monster until turn four or five (Atleast a monster you can play.) which is fine but that means you are going to need to sacrifice every turn up until that point and you can find yourself sacrificing those cards needed to win early on. so my suggestion would be to add more lower costing monsters to help you add pressure at the begening and to give you something to play during those turns. i propose to drop the rain delays and add flayers (Personal favorite choice, Brutalis, fire snakes. also go with either four shrieks or four acid jets. maybe even drop the shadowfont to make room for more monsters, the build i'm suggesting more towards board control which you can't do without lots of monsters, Voice of winter, and Snow Sapphire, will slow them down if you loose it and then nova so you can watch all their frozen monsters die. just a sugestion. if you don't want to try a completely different deck because your happy with the one you have then i would toss away two plasma behemouths and add two bad santa's or one bad santa, and an extra Snow Sapphire.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Okay, basically, we start by looking at your choice of hero, Majiya. Majiya does two things- unilateral draw, and board control. Neither is done well for 4se compared to some other heroes, but she's still fine nonetheless.

To build a deck with Majiya, try to capitalize on Majiya. Try to control the board, and try to get the most out of your unilateral draw.

The first thing I have to say is that portal is useless in this deck. When you play portal, all it does is attack with your next ally the turn that ally hits play, right? That's awesome for decks who can use it to drop more allies on t5 than they could on t4. With your deck, you won't ever get a swarm off portal. So instead of playing portal, you could just play an ally, and let the ally hit for damage the next turn. Either way you still have one ally to attack with, the difference is that portal is useless by itself. Don't worry about not having board control for two reasons:

- if you play portal with no board, your opponent gets a free turn to hit you with everything
    - You're playing Majiya. If you don't have board control, regaining it is your first and foremost priority, not getting a hasty swing or two.

Now let's look at the numbers for Majiya...

Majiya plus DMT becomes 4 damage, enough to kill any 2-3 drop. Awesome here.
    Majiya + Arcane Burst, Dark Flayer, Carniboar, DMT ability enough to take down enemy PBs. You can do this easily with other cards though.
    Majiya + Lightning Strike or PB attack able to kill Raven Wildheart
    Majiya + PB, Supernova or SK enough to kill the mighty Aeon Stormcaller

But what about Armored Sandworm? Majiya's ability only does 1 damage, Supernova, SK, and PB can each only do 3, only 2 from fireball... Worm is the toughest card for you to face, and your deck must be built to withstand him. Snow Sapphire makes for a great way for you to hold him down while burning him over multiple turns. Dagger of Unmaking won't do the trick.

Armor and weapons will also be tough for you as Majiya. Mages have no inherent destruction for cards like King's Pride or Soul Seeker, your best bet lies in Acid Jet. You'll need them to fight off most decks in the current game, although Darkclaw will still destroy you. That's where Shriek of Vengeance comes in.

Lastly, I say play Firesnake. At the very least, you'll get a couple points of damage for 1 resource. At best, he'll help majiya kill enemy DMTs, kill Kristoffer Wylds in seconds, take down an opposing Birgitte early on before she has other allies to protect, and is essentially a free card against opponents looking to santa bomb you. There's actually a lot of value in him for little cost.

So here's what I'm thinking for you:

4x Fireball
    4x Lightning Strike
    3x Supernova
    2x Acid Jet
    4x Shriek of Vengeance
    4x Research
    3x Fire Snake
    3x Death Mage Thaddeus
    4x Plasma Behemoth
    4x Shadow Knight
    2x Dagger of Unmaking
    2x Snow Sapphire

Now there you have it.

Note this list does lack Shadow Font, although a good card there's not a lot of room for it and your ability, although good, isn't worth 4 resources and 1 se to perform. If you decide you don't like Fire Snake, that's what I'd replace.
    MistahBoweh - Paragon of Paragons
    Warrior of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn

My Strategy Site: The Boweh
    Latest Article: USED: MistahBoweh VS SamuelJ

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Hi Evolut1onX,

First, i played 10 games vs Eladwen AI with your deck, and won all, easily, so what you need first is to have a better understanding of the game mechanic, this will come with time.

By playing your deck i saw few flaws:
    First : rain delay, i always sac'ed 'em, it was the only use of it.
    Second : shadow font, same as rain delay, ;P
    Third : 4 death mage in a 40 deck will slow you coz you can't summon two of 'em. 3 are enough.

Since i play, i like portals in every mage deck, can be sac'ed if they come early, but can be usefull if you draw it T7~8, 2 are enough.
    You need 2cc allies, especially when you will play in pvp, for me brutalis is the better so far. He always stay alive one turn.
    One more shriek can be good.
    Try dagger of unmaking, looks good, retreat! for shadow mage,

@dndfreak, don't you think eight 5cc creatures and only three 3cc creatures will make a really bad tempo ? With all these death racer outside, it'll be a auto loss. IMO.
    "Rastas don't believe in violence... Rastas don't believe... Rastas know." -Bob Marley-

Winner of the Multi-Post Streak Challenge
    *’”⁷ᵔᵕᵔ∞*°゜゚⁰ᵒ☉●•⋆.ᵢᵢᵢ₇.。・°'¨⋋ⓚⓔⓝⓣⓤⓔⓠⓤⓘ⋌¨'°・。.₇₇₇.⋆•●☉ᵒ⁰゜゚°*∞ᵔᵕᵔ⁷‘“*
    ⊰☠ ℑcℯ ℰℒℱ ☠⊱

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Thanks a bunch for the help guys. I've been running dndfreak's suggestion and its been working MUCH better. Fire snake helped me speed up my play at the beginning and I've basically been focusing on board control early (even if I have to waste a few spells to do it). The only thing I'm doing differently is I've dropped two of the shadow knights because I was always sacrificing those early on and added two brutalis just to give an extra chance for a 2-drop. Basically so on the second turn I can play brutalis if he is available or research. It's working great. Winning all computer matches and doing decent in pvp. (I'm ranked 250 because of my other deck so winning even every once in a while is good).

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    DnD format is great.. Never thought using Firesnake for a quick 1 damage hit.. I think I better add one set of smallies.. my deck Majiya PlasmaCannon Deck 1.28 is also running the same format but I use Rain Delay for ally cover for DMT and PB.. Will get back board control when they keep firing behind rain delay

I live to Adapt and Learn to be strong. Master in any card game but not poker.. LOL