Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Curious -- where do you find your art from for these? Just searching deviantart?

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by stereosound View Post
    Curious -- where do you find your art from for these? Just searching deviantart?
    Yes. I could search with google, but then I wouldn't know if the art is used in other games, card games or other projects. In deviantart the artists mention if they don't want the art to be used. Every art I have posted is either fan art, or the artists don't mention if it is used anywhere. I think in the last 1.5 months I have been searching for art almost 1 hour/day, but now I have more than 150 images ready to become cards. However, now that I'm part of the design team, all this effort could be wasted since I'll have to keep most ideas from going public. I wouldn't want to spoil the surprises coming in the future.
    Last edited by Anurak; 12-14-2011 at 07:30 PM.
    "In order to survive, we cling to all we know and understand. And we label it reality."

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Anurak View Post
    The something like this might be more to your liking. Just 2 ideas I had after your reading your request.

Edit: Both ideas would fit better to a rogue class ally, not dual class because the mages with him would be trouble.
    -.-'
    I forgot that these are dual class allies, so you're damn right.
    Well, keep the idea (of the second one) for another rogue class only ally! :P

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    The mage-priest is missing not because I forgot about him , but because I decided I didn't like that combination. Mixing together a melee class and an arcane class, or even 2 melee classes is OK, but mages and priests are the complete opposite.
    From my perspective, I find this statement surprising--much of human history makes little distinction, although there are unlearned priests and not particularly religious learned folk, there are plenty of people who would fit both roles--in some cultures they are the same thing.

You obviously have a clear idea in your mind regarding both classes, but could you expand on this statement somewhat? What is your idea of priests and mages?

edit: If you had to create a Wulven/Elemental you probably should create a tag team pair instead of a true dual class ally.
    Last edited by Ringel; 12-12-2011 at 08:23 PM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Ringel View Post
    From my perspective, I find this statement surprising--much of human history makes little distinction, although there are unlearned priests and not particularly religious learned folk, there are plenty of people who would fit both roles--in some cultures they are the same thing.

You obviously have a clear idea in your mind regarding both classes, but could you expand on this statement somewhat? What is your idea of priests and mages?

edit: If you had to create a Wulven/Elemental you probably should create a tag team pair instead of a true dual class ally.
    I didn't mean they are not a good match because one class is using mystical powers or powers gained through study and the other divine powers or powers who are base on faith. Obviously, my only experience with Mages and Priests (as they are depicted in a fantasy setting) is only through rpgs I've played. It is because of my background that I find hard to create a character who is able to cast Fireball in one turn and cast Mass Heal in the next. For the same reason a melee/arcane ally should focus on casting buffs or protective spells on himself instead of casting highly destructive area spells, although in the latter case I felt I could be more flexible and allow some offensive spells.

Just because I didn't make the Mage/Priest ally, it doesn't mean I agree with all the other combinations I gave. I just felt that there was an ally that could combine the flavor of each class, even if a little farfetched.

Some combinations could be a new class. For example
    Hunter + Priest = Druid
    Hunter + Warrior = Ranger
    Warrior + Priest = Paladin
    Mage + Warrior = Battlemage/Spellsword

For the same reason I didn't like the combo elemental + wulven . I guess I could create a duo that would be viable, but it would feel like a forced marriage, and these should be avoided when there is no reason to do it. And the truth is there is no reason. Instead of doing something that would be evidently forced, I'd prefer to give 2 allies (1 ally to each class). At least this is my opinion based on my experiences. If others have played games where these combos were natural, they might disagree.
    "In order to survive, we cling to all we know and understand. And we label it reality."

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    If others have played games where these combos were natural, they might disagree.
    That would be me. Most of my gaming experiences are off line, but the two fit together in many games I've played. My favorite pre-dnd fantasy fiction also mixes priests and mages pretty effortlessly--mostly as npcs to be sure, often villains.

I guess I'd ask you to consider your vision carefully. On the one hand certain gaming tropes have been the norm, so they are easy for new players to buy into, on the other hand many gaming tropes have no real basis, other than that's what they did in D&D and that's what we're going to do to.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    You will notice that so far I've made only 9 human allies instead of 10. The mage-priest is missing not because I forgot about him , but because I decided I didn't like that combination. Mixing together a melee class and an arcane class, or even 2 melee classes is OK, but mages and priests are the complete opposite. I couldn't imagine an ally who would be good at both. I'm not sure I even like the priest-rogue combo. I think it's OK if we don't have all combinations.

I will also not give a shadow elemental-wulven ally for the same reasons. Having a wulven warrior/mage/hunter is fine by me, but not elemental. There is another reason I don't like the elemental-wulven combo. The human rogue and priest class are actual classes met in fantasy themed games/books. Elementals and Wulven feel more like they are entirely different species, so this is a NO for me.

Anyway here are the remaining 5 allies for the humans. Only 2 girls this time. I know, I'm disappointed too. I have 2 versions for the mage-rogue ally, because I like both equally. I'm also not... thrilled about Oberon and Qallen, so I may change them in the future.
    About Oberon: His ability deals the 2 damage before the enemies deal their damage, not after.

EDIT: Scarlet Starblade changed to Warrior-Rogue (from Hunter-Rogue) and Avelyn Sinbreaker changed to Hunter-Mage (from Hunter -Priest, she also changed name; now called Avelyn Wildseer)

Art of Scarlet Starblade: "Iveta" by StandAlone-Complex (deviantart) - Full Image
    Art of Avelyn Sinbreaker: "Half-elf Druid wallpaper" by Geistig (deviantart) - Full Image
    Art of Oberon Runestorm: "Archmage" by mabuart (deviantart) - Full Image
    Art of Qallen Fel: "City of Angels" by alishmcmalish (deviantart) - Full Image
    Art of Nex Ghostblade: "pq2 assassin" by sandara (deviantart) - Full Image

For a complete list of my allies check here.
    one of the best work I've seen so far. I'm totally fascinated by this letter, it must surely be in the game.

simple as the wind, strong as a hurricane.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I LOVEEEE the visuals omfg amazing. But Scarlett...think about it, she's a tad stronger than any death Mage Thaddeus could ever hope to be. Should tone it down on her. Perhaps +1 attack

Avelyn is a great idea, but perhaps needs to be a 4cc ally.

Oberon is certainly like a deathbone card. He's not fair because he's doing 4 damage to anyone who doesn't kill him. 2 from effect and 2 from attack. It should be 3/4, 3 or 4cc (can't decide), enemies (allies & heroes) dealing damage to Oberon suffer 1 damage. I think that's fair reflecting on deathbone.

Quallen is veryy interesting lol. I think the 4cc w/ 2 attack make it very balanced

Nex ghostblade is also veryyyy cool but does he work for shadow mages like Majiya? I would hope so. Oh nvm I just looked. Human. Awwww what do shadow get?((((
    Last edited by glencocoe; 02-10-2012 at 06:39 AM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Mage and Priest does not make sense?

Perhaps cultural difference, but the game called Dragon Quest has superior job type which you need to be trained in both Priest and Mage first. The new class is called something like "Sage" Essentially, it is magic master class that you can use both healing magic as well as attack magic.

In any event, great concept. So I assume unlike specialized class ally, these are restricted to either of the hero types?