Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Harbinger of Pain

As with the "Fear the Weak", this started as a fun suggestion, mostly to show the art. Mortal Kombat and Scorpion fans owe me for this.

The first version was Shadow ally and restricted to hunters and warriors, but warriors don't need any more help, and leaving him only to 1 class while he was also shadow, was a bad choice. His flavor doesn't fit in other classes, so I decided to make him a mercenary type who can be employed by Hunters(range attack) and Rogues(bad-ass attitude and gear). An assassin class would be perfect for the shadow, but seeing how the rogues are essentially assassins in SE, it wouldn't make sense. I really hope we see in the future Rogues as a class for shadow or something similar. The possibilities are endless.

Back to our card, he is an epic unique ally. His ability deals 3 damage (direct damage) to a target for 1 energy and 1 discarded card. I think rogues/wulven/(hunters?) are great for the discard mechanic. 5cc and only 4 health to make him killable. Maybe even 3 health? I don't know, you tell me.

Previous version

Art: "Scorpion" by standalone_complex (deviantart) - Full Image

For a complete list of my allies check here.

P.S. Some would say that as a unique epic ally, he should have a real name, but who needs a name when he lives in the dark and in his line of work names can kill you. Anonymity is his best friend.
    Last edited by Anurak; 11-25-2011 at 03:03 PM.
    "In order to survive, we cling to all we know and understand. And we label it reality."

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I think this card could be at 3 cost and still fine. It has the same stats as Jasmine, but Jasmine can only for 2 res disable an ally for a turn, but this card requires you to use a shadow energy AND discard a card? They seem equal in power level, so 3 cost should be fine.

Also, 4 health allies die pretty quickly anyway, so at this cost I don't think it'll be used a lot.

If with the text you mean that your opponent discards a card, then it is probably fine, but I don't think you worded it right then.
    iClipse - A1's Twilight Manipulator - A1 : Evolution in Theory
    Part of PFG

• My psychiatrist told me I was crazy and I said I want a second opinion. He said okay, you're ugly too.

• Just remember...if the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off.

• With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.

• I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not sure.

• A diplomat is someone who can tell you to go to hell in such a way that you will look forward to the trip.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by iClipse View Post
    I think this card could be at 3 cost and still fine. It has the same stats as Jasmine, but Jasmine can only for 2 res disable an ally for a turn, but this card requires you to use a shadow energy AND discard a card? They seem equal in power level, so 3 cost should be fine.

Also, 4 health allies die pretty quickly anyway, so at this cost I don't think it'll be used a lot.

If with the text you mean that your opponent discards a card, then it is probably fine, but I don't think you worded it right then.
    No, you got the effect fine. I think 4 would be OK?, but 3cc would be too low. Jasmine may prevent allies from attacking, but she doesn't kill them. He can deal 3 damage even if abilities like Rain Delay or Valiant Defender are in play, or even Crippling Blow. If you compare his ratio damage/energy with Zaladar or BaneBow, he is 3 while the others are 1.5 and 1.33 respectively. If the ability only cost energy I'd have it at 2, but I have the impression that with all the card draw in the game, 1 card doesn't cost 1 SE. With Bazaar you only pay 2 resources and you draw indefinitely.
    Since so far we haven't seen in the game the combination of the shadow/card cost for the ability and the ability's effect (damage), it is hard for me to determine what would be balanced. Perhaps you're right, but lately I have been "accused" of giving powerful effects, and I wanted to be on the safe side with this one.
    Last edited by Anurak; 11-25-2011 at 02:07 PM.
    "In order to survive, we cling to all we know and understand. And we label it reality."

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    But you have to discard a card first to do that damage and use a shadow energy. And to hunters and roques, one card is huge, just for 3 damage.

Also, in current meta, there aren't any SE increasing cards for human heroes, so that shadow energy has a big impact as well. I still think it should be 3 cc. Also, because it's a class specific ally, it should be better than the general allies, thus making 3cc a good cost.
    Part of PFG

• My psychiatrist told me I was crazy and I said I want a second opinion. He said okay, you're ugly too.

• A diplomat is someone who can tell you to go to hell in such a way that you will look forward to the trip.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    But you have to discard a card first to do that damage and use a shadow energy. And to hunters and roques, one card is huge, just for 3 damage.

Also, in current meta, there aren't any SE increasing cards for human heroes, so that shadow energy has a big impact as well. I still think it should be 3 cc. Also, because it's a class specific ally, it should be better than the general allies, thus making 3cc a good cost.
    For the Rogues I was thinking the following situation. If the rogue has in his hand another card that can help him kill the target like Assassination, he has two options.
    1. Pay 3 resources, use 1 card (Assassination), exhaust Harbinger of Pain, and kill the target.
    Score: 3 resources, 1 card lost (Assassination), 1 ally killed

2. Pay 1 energy, discard 1 card (Assassination), 3 damage to target, attack with Harbinger for 3 more damage.
    Score: 1 energy, 1 card lost (Assassination), 6 damage to target.

The good of the 2nd option:
    1. You can attack the enemy hero for 6 damage in 1 turn. (You can't do it with option 1)
    2. 6 damage is enough to take out any ally except Aeon and Sandworm.
    3. You can deal 6 damage every turn.
    4. You can use the resources you saved to play abilities or allies.

The bad:
    1. You may not kill the target if it is buffed or the 2 allies already mentioned.
    2. Uses energy which you need for ability and/or items.
    3. If you don't kill the target he will defend.

I'm certain I;m missing some good or bad points, but you see, it costs the same number of cards to take out 1 target, so the rogues won't discard extra cards.
    As for the hunters, you have a point. However, this card is planned having in mind it can only be introduced in the following set, in which I'm absolutely sure all classes will get items/abilities/allies that will add/subtract SE and will draw/discard cards.
    I have some suggestions in that direction, but I'm searching for the appropriate art. Who said being a perfectionist is a good trait. It's living hell.
    Last edited by Anurak; 11-25-2011 at 02:56 PM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Ok, but at current cost, let's compare it to Plasma Behemoth, which is a general used ally, and should be less powerful than class specific. He can do 7 damage for 3 resources with no cost to shadow energy or to the cards in your hand.

What I'm saying is, for 5 cost it's way to sucky. I won't run it, except for maybe it's 'coolness'. Anyway, I would still put it at 3cc, but remove the option of damaging the enemies hero as well.
    Part of PFG

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Do you discard a card at random or can u choose the card?

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Ok, but at current cost, let's compare it to Plasma Behemoth, which is a general used ally, and should be less powerful than class specific. He can do 7 damage for 3 resources with no cost to shadow energy or to the cards in your hand.

What I'm saying is, for 5 cost it's way to sucky. I won't run it, except for maybe it's 'coolness'. Anyway, I would still put it at 3cc, but remove the option of damaging the enemies hero as well.
    You do have a point when you compare it with PB. I was going for 4cc, since coming 1 turn earlier than PB is great, but I will try it at 3cc as you suggested.
    I have to check how easy or hard it is to make a plugin for LackeyCCG. It would be great if we could test these before we post them.

Quote Originally Posted by jonathan strange View Post
    Do you discard a card at random or can u choose the card?
    You choose of course.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Does the discarded card go into the graveyard, or is it removed from the game? If it's the former, then a Gravebone would break this when paired with a gigantic ally.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
    Does the discarded card go into the graveyard, or is it removed from the game? If it's the former, then a Gravebone would break this when paired with a gigantic ally.
    Very good point !
    Discard 6cc & use GB's ability on T4

Even Trolls Considered