Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cerberus

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Sisyphos View Post
    Tbh i don't like the idea of cards that mention other cards and/or tell the players „This is supposed to be played with that!“ This one's cool though, i suggest changing it to „If Cerberus is in play when an enemy resource is destroyed, deal 2 damage to a target ally.“
    Well most times i agree with you because it's like the deckbuilding and strategy side of the game vanishes, but in a case like HBM that is unplayed mostly, it's the only way without altering the card to make it useful. Your wording is better for the ally too, because in the future more cards like HBM may be released. Btw what would you think of removing the resource requirement of HBM when cerberus is on play?
    "When I get sad I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead. True story!"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A1: Evolution in Theory

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Sisyphos View Post
    Tbh i don't like the idea of cards that mention other cards and/or tell the players „This is supposed to be played with that!“ This one's cool though, i suggest changing it to „If Cerberus is in play when an enemy resource is destroyed, deal 2 damage to a target ally.“
    I used to feel the same. That mechanic is generally a yugioh thing, and yugioh us... Well, yugioh.

Magic did it, though. About 5ish years ago, there was a cycle of huge fatties, and a cycle of little guys that let you sacrifice a card of each of the fatty's given colors to cheat it into play.

I groaned. Magic was taking cues from Yugioh, I said.

I was still a minor at the time. I now know better.

Listing a card by it's name does two specific things, one from a design standpoint and one from a flavor standpoint.

For flavor, an interaction between two specific cards means a lot. It delves into the story, the relationships between the characters on the cards. After all, if they're not connected, what the hell are the events supposedly going on while you're playing the game?

From a design standpoint, it allows powerful effects into the game while permanently limiting their power.

Take my above Magic example. If those cheaters didn't pick the specific creature you could cast and instead let you pick anything in the colors of the sacrificed cards, every card in the 18 years of magic history would need to be reexamined to see if something could potentially break the game, and even then until the end of the game, the devs will forever need to limit the power of the creatures in those colors so as to never make something stupid.

Do you see what I'm getting at. Especially as long as there's a place to get new cards at the touch of a button, or at least learn what the named card is, there's really no downside. Just so long as it isn't overdone like yugioh to the point where deck building is halfway done before you start.
    MistahBoweh - Paragon of Paragons
    Warrior of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn

My Strategy Site: The Boweh
    Latest Article: USED: MistahBoweh VS SamuelJ

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I mainly come from a heavy yugioh and duel masters background so you got the reference right. But yes yugioh is having what you say the last 2 years and it's a disaster. Old time yugioh was good. But my love will always be Duel Masters
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Too bad duel masters was discontinued in the US ages ago :/

I still follow up with handheld ports of the YuGiOh franchise, but haven't played with paper ygo since the 90s. It's fun, but too stupid in it's cards and constructed format to be serious on a competetive level imo.
    Greatness, Reborn

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by dndfreak View Post
    Too bad duel masters was discontinued in the US ages ago :/
    Did you play? Did you like it? Here in Greece it stopped at 5th or 6th set release. I had won the national at least before getting the halt.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I love the combo and the "Here is the monster"
    The Selection Gods (Remember!) want you to their Guild:
    TLOTpSGR and ELEMENTALS -- Join Today
    PabloMag's 1.28 Decks

In ShadowEra Hall of Fame
    Add me on Google+
    Add me on Facebook

PabloMag, "The Saint Prophet"
    Supreme Emperor of Shadow Era

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    It's fun, yeah, but I played basically up through the very first expansion (evocrushinators of doom) before leaving the game. At that time, there were no really stupid shield triggers, playing read beats simply NEVER lost. The game was much more balanced by the time set 6 came out (I have a rom for Shadow of the Code), but at that point I had already long since forsaken it as 'kiddie Magic'. Plus it never really had a large enough following in my area.
    Greatness, Reborn

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by dndfreak View Post
    It's fun, yeah, but I played basically up through the very first expansion (evocrushinators of doom) before leaving the game. At that time, there were no really stupid shield triggers, playing read beats simply NEVER lost. The game was much more balanced by the time set 6 came out (I have a rom for Shadow of the Code), but at that point I had already long since forsaken it as 'kiddie Magic'. Plus it never really had a large enough following in my area.
    Evocrushinators had my favorite card Corile. It was kinda a kiddie magic, but since i was already playing yugioh i liked more the big fat numbers against the 1,2,3 attack values like shadow era and i always thought magic would drain my life and my money if i was to start.