Close

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by CodeDomination View Post
    Well that's why they are called rare and epic. If they were easy to get, then they would be commons.
    But it undermines people having access to several/some cards, which will hurt competitive gaming big time.
    iClipse - A1's Twilight Manipulator - A1 : Evolution in Theory
    Part of PFG

• My psychiatrist told me I was crazy and I said I want a second opinion. He said okay, you're ugly too.

• Just remember...if the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off.

• With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.

• I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not sure.

• A diplomat is someone who can tell you to go to hell in such a way that you will look forward to the trip.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by iClipse View Post
    But it undermines people having access to several/some cards, which will hurt competitive gaming big time.
    Those that want to play competitively will still do so. Not to mention people who play tournaments are in the minority.
    Coder of the Night -- A1 : Evolution in Theory

Member of the Player's Focus Group 1

My Decks:
    -------------

My Articles:
    My Strategy articles compilation

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by dndfreak View Post
    Nonononono, you missed my point. The market will still be in place for people to buy/sell without interacting with other players. The trade system I proposed is just an alternative to the AH that encourages more of a community driven focus like they want without costing them so much money.
    I don't think I missed your point, but maybe it was lost in the post. Anyways, I don't see this costi g wulven more money, but rather making more if it for them.

My Decks:
    -------------

My Articles:

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    The problem isn't competetive gaming, it's about the competetiveness of the game. Right now, players can build, not necessarily a good deck but a consistent and semi-effecient list after tenish hours of play, without putting money in. With an AH, this is far less likely.

Instead, what ends up happening is that a player gets one or two 'good' cards. Since they can't buy rares directly, even after putting money in the game they have to hope for the best out of opening packs. In the end, early play will come down to who draws their 'good' cards more often, instead of actual skill. This is the worst possible thing to put an impression of onto new players.

Then there's the huge gap that suddenly occurs in the playerbase. The people who started in 1.28 have a HUGE advantage that punishes any coming after them, to the point where the influx of new players has a huge drop just because they simply can't beat the more consistent decks. A rift in the player base is EXACTLY what Wulven was trying to avoid.
    MistahBoweh - Paragon of Paragons
    Warrior of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn

My Strategy Site: The Boweh
    Latest Article: USED: MistahBoweh VS SamuelJ

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by CodeDomination View Post
    I don't think I missed your point, but maybe it was lost in the post. Anyways, I don't see this costi g wulven more money, but rather making more if it for them.
    That post was directed at iClipse
    MistahBoweh - Paragon of Paragons
    Warrior of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn

My Strategy Site: The Boweh
    Latest Article: USED: MistahBoweh VS SamuelJ

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    That post was directed at iClipse
    Oic

My Decks:
    -------------

My Articles:

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Then there's the huge gap that suddenly occurs in the playerbase. The people who started in 1.28 have a HUGE advantage that punishes any coming after them, to the point where the influx of new players has a huge drop just because they simply can't beat the more consistent decks. A rift in the player base is EXACTLY what Wulven was trying to avoid.
    +1 here. This WILL happen.

This happened on MTGO back in the days when the Invasion-block was slowly phasing out. Those who signed up early and got a solid pile of IPA-cards (the sets where all the real killer cards were) just had to sit on their collections and wait. When I returned to MTGO roughly two years after my first stint, I was paid 20-25 times the value of the cards. Simply because I was there early. All the foil dragon legends were selling at $25-30 each, and they were pretty much $2 rares when the set was introduced. There were common cards that I got for .25 each that suddenly sold for $3-4 each.
    How do you afford your rock 'n' roll lifestyle?

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    The problem isn't competetive gaming, it's about the competetiveness of the game. Right now, players can build, not necessarily a good deck but a consistent and semi-effecient list after tenish hours of play, without putting money in. With an AH, this is far less likely.

Instead, what ends up happening is that a player gets one or two 'good' cards. Since they can't buy rares directly, even after putting money in the game they have to hope for the best out of opening packs. In the end, early play will come down to who draws their 'good' cards more often, instead of actual skill. This is the worst possible thing to put an impression of onto new players.

Quote Originally Posted by Lime Street Hero View Post
    +1 here. This WILL happen.

This happened on MTGO back in the days when the Invasion-block was slowly phasing out. Those who signed up early and got a solid pile of IPA-cards (the sets where all the real killer cards were) just had to sit on their collections and wait. When I returned to MTGO roughly two years after my first stint, I was paid 20-25 times the value of the cards. Simply because I was there early. All the foil dragon legends were selling at $25-30 each, and they were pretty much $2 rares when the set was introduced. There were common cards that I got for .25 each that suddenly sold for $3-4 each.
    This is exactly where I was going with my initial post. With the current system now, all it took me was $40 bucks to max out my set to 4 copies of everything, with every dime going to Wulven.

Since my initial post I've actually gone through and read every post of Kyle's OP about Player auctions. And many of the points made here have been made there as well. So I will be taking my .02 over to that thread, so as not to belabor an issue over two different threads.

Feel free to still say hello though.
    I'm old, experienced, and usually right. So eyes open, mouth shut, and you might learn a thing or two.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Welcome to the forums fyrfytr998!