Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I like 1.28

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

I like 1.28

Just want to throw it out there. All these people complaining about 1.28, and I actually am quite happy with it and think it is balanced.

Let's look at the "big 3" as everyone calls them, DC, Elad and Logan.

DC is not Tier 1, he's a passing crazy. He's a new variant of the lone wolf deck that has been around for a long time, just beefed up with a new ability and cards. Any item destruction still leaves him in the dust.

Elad is awesome, and defining the death race mechanic. But she was obvious, mage's were just short of enough damage to make death racing really viable in 1.27, and her ability added the needed boost. Additionally, it is becoming clear to me that there is not one best Eladwen deck, but she has some versatility to adapt to different circumstances, which is nice.

Logan is a bit OP right now (please direct discussion of his OP-ness here), but not unbeatable. In fact, I'm excited to see a shadow counterpart to Boris. But the idea for this deck was around in 1.27, in the human warriors, it was no big step to adapt it to the shadow warriors when the ability changed.

All that happened is that people discovered the three easiest, noob-tube decks in this meta first. Each of the "big 3" is in some way derived from ideas floating around in earlier versions. We've discovered nothing novel yet, just rediscovered what worked before. Most of the more interesting strategies and decks are pretty much unexplored at this point. Sure, those decks require more sophisticated play and deck-building than the "big 3," but I'd almost guarantee some hero and card combination that no one has thought of yet will be the real "challenge to beat" in 1.28. I would also be surprised if we don't end up with at least 5 heroes teetering on Tier 1 by the end of 1.28. Without an indepth discussion of every hero, I see the game as more balanced, but balanced with strategies that no one has implemented yet. And that's why I like 1.28. The game finally has new, unexplored potential.

Now, final demands- I refuse to let this thread turn into a qq-fest. Please only post comments about what you like about 1.28, leave your trolling to one of the many other qq-threads available.

My thoughts and ramblings:
    The art of death racing
    Hitting em with all you got
    In defense of bazaar
    Card draw engines and card draw advantage
    Damage Strategies in SE

A1's resident Mathemalogian
    A1 : Evolution in Theory.
    Member of the PFG, and guest article writer for GDC's website

Lead Developer / Designer Gondorian's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    I expect you have played more 1.28 games than me, so I trust your judgment, mate!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    i just want to challenge someone out there to build a competitive GB, maji, lance, serena, or jericho deck. There's probably more hero's that i'm leaving out. The only thing i like about 1.28 is some of the new cards.
    as i recall, at the introduction of 1.27 i could still play against 5 or 6 different heros every day...not like that now. personally, i think 1.28 threw more things out of balance than it did to make things better. but i hope you are right, i look forward to seeing different strategies and decks.
    poopster [def] :

One who pwns noobs with feces or dung.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by poopster77 View Post
    i just want to challenge someone out there to build a competitive GB, maji, lance, serena, or jericho deck.
    See jerry's thread for a good jericho deck. He claims to have won 27 out of his last 28 matches.

I hear Lance is strong, but I don't really see it right now. I guess using his ability on Raven would be good.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    @OP

I agree with everything you just said.

People seem to have tunnel-vision on those 3 heroes, and therefore aren't looking st the other heroes more in depth.

A good example of this: the first SE tournament. Everyone thought Majiya was going to dominate, but 2 people didn't have tunnel vision stuck on Majiya...and thus 1st and 2nd place were Benumb and lyingdragon (using Jericho and Zhanna...2 heroes no one saw potential in winning).

If people would do the work in this meta, the same thing would be the case. I've already come up with several solid decks not using those heroes. Can they beat the 3? Probably not right now, but I'm confident they will be able to when I get them tuned.

I know of others that have solid decks that are tuned and DO best those 3 decks. One person in particular (I won't name them or their deck since I am no longer A1 and will not give their information because of that.). This person made a killer deck with an ally no one seems to think is good for whatever reason. There are also loads of other decks that I had the pleasure of viewing and participating in their construction in the A1 forum.

My point being, it can be done, has been done, and will continue to be done. Think outside the box.

I'm predicting by the first 1.28 tournament, no one will actually use those 3 and win anything because in the first week this patch had been live...there are already counters to them.

When people start to figure this out, things will shift hard in the meta, but the longer people keep those 3 on their sights...the more and more they're getting left behind when they should be deck crafting. Not to hump A1's leg anymore than I already have, but as the progression sits right now on the SE forums...A1 is going to dominate any tournament thrown their way for the simple fact that they have been working their asses off to break the meta. I'm sure I'm going to get a lot of comments on this post because of the A1 praise, but its the truth...deal with it or don't. I just left A1, and have no obligation to stroke their ego anymore. Just know I warned you come tournament time if you're one of those people not able to break your tunnel-vision on the current trio of n00btubes.
    Last edited by Xen00b; 10-26-2011 at 06:41 PM.
    ~*Pain Is Only A Pulse, If You Just Stop Feeling It*~

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I also agree. I think a lot of what people are saying is stemming from the fact they need to completely retool a lot of their old winning decks. The new hero abilities make the game more balanced because a lot of heros that sucked in 1.27 now seem to be viable. While my SE experience is limited, I used to play magic competitively and obsessively so I grew up loving CCGs. I love the fact new cards are coming out and changing the meta. Its needed to keep the game alive and show who the good players actually are.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by poopster77 View Post
    i just want to challenge someone out there to build a competitive GB, maji, lance, serena, or jericho deck. There's probably more hero's that i'm leaving out. The only thing i like about 1.28 is some of the new cards.
    as i recall, at the introduction of 1.27 i could still play against 5 or 6 different heros every day...not like that now. personally, i think 1.28 threw more things out of balance than it did to make things better. but i hope you are right, i look forward to seeing different strategies and decks.

There is a BOMB Jericho deck out there, i forget the guys name, but i played a few games against it and it was untouchable against my Elad deck. I have seen several Jericho decks as of late, the key is the resource -3 card, just destroys a mage burn deck fast!!!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LikwidFury View Post
    There is a BOMB Jericho deck out there, i forget the guys name, but i played a few games against it and it was untouchable against my Elad deck. I have seen several Jericho decks as of late, the key is the resource -3 card, just destroys a mage burn deck fast!!!
    Plague is the card you mean, and it really sucks going second.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I love everything about your post. Well said, OP.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Drakkon View Post
    I love everything about your post. Well said, OP.
    I haven't heard you whine for a while, sup?
    Calmdown * Shadow Era Designer * Logan Stonebreaker & Brutal Minotaur Fan Club