Close

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Is Rogue playable in 1.284?

I wanna know people's opinion. I think Rogue is not playable in the latest version like many of past versions.

Lance and Serena's ability cost may be higher than its actual effect.

SE cost 3 would be plausible for Lance in my opinion.

Moreover, I guess Serena needs more than that. I miss her past ability... as u know Rogue's Draw engine is not good.

Anyway, i want to ask u about the question, "Is Rogue playable in this version?"

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by isolen View Post
    Anyway, i want to ask u about the question, "Is Rogue playable in this version?"
    My gut says no, but I was wrong in 1.27 --- Sisyphos made a great Lance deck that was able to stay above 200 consistently (I think he hit 220+ with it). Part of that his his playing skill, but no amount of skill will make a total turkey shine.

So, maybe they will be better than we think in 1.28, but I think it's unlikely, for all the reasons you listed. Lance still looks still looks like the better of thge two. His ability fits fattys this time rather than weenie rush... maybe Sisyphos will give it another shot and surprise us...?? But I doubt Rogues are competetive overall in this release - ability just costs too much (Lance) or is lame (Serena).
    1.25, 1.26, 1.27: 40 card decks, Big Bad Baduruu
    1.28/1.29 - best forgotten except for Elementalis Prime Grindage

1.5 - it's all good Naughty Gwenches
    -
    Players Focus Group 1, Missing In Action member of PFG 2

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    No
    Signature for rent.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by isolen View Post
    I wanna know people's opinion. I think Rogue is not playable in the latest version like many of past versions.

Lance and Serena's ability cost may be higher than its actual effect.

SE cost 3 would be plausible for Lance in my opinion.

Moreover, I guess Serena needs more than that. I miss her past ability... as u know Rogue's Draw engine is not good.

Better than before for Lance since his ability helps retake the board when you combo it with assassinate. Selena gained some and then lost some. I don't think the heroes need a revamp, their SE costs are fine the way it is. The problem right now with the rogues are not the heroes' ability, but most of their class specific cards and weapons are mostly terrible. They're still not good enough to be competitive in metagame, but they're getting there.

They're still highly susceptible to board wipe and is difficult for them to retake to playing field, but Lance's new ability makes it a bit better.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    It's very hard to make a comeback with rogues after a poor start. Unless opponents game breaks down in the mean time...

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingsider View Post
    It's very hard to make a comeback with rogues after a poor start. Unless opponents game breaks down in the mean time...
    If the opponent has 1-2 allies on the field, it's still possible for Lance to take it back. If his ability didn't help you to reclaim the board, then you're royally screwed. As for Serena... I really take it back. She actually got nerfed even more in this version. In the past, it didn't really matter as much that her weapon was crappy as long as she was drawing (Serena Super Draw!), but now she's almost unplayable since her ability +throwing knife don't really go well.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by GS View Post
    No
    ^

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    If the opponent has 1-2 allies on the field, it's still possible for Lance to take it back. If his ability didn't help you to reclaim the board, then you're royally screwed. As for Serena... I really take it back. She actually got nerfed even more in this version. In the past, it didn't really matter as much that her weapon was crappy as long as she was drawing (Serena Super Draw!), but now she's almost unplayable since her ability +throwing knife don't really go well.
    It is possible, but hard.

Sealed Deck Champion
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingsider View Post
    It is possible, but hard.
    Agreed!!!!!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Unhappy

**DISCLAIMER**
    I wrote this post with the costant thought of Marco Simoncelli in my head. If I wrote stupid things or made any kind of error... I'm sorry, but I don't give a damn.

On Topic.
    I like Lnce's new ability. I really do. Casting an Aeon and giving him haste + ambush + stealth for 1 round is col.
    But... There are a few things that come to the surface if we compare closely Lance and some other heroes abilities.
    Let's assume I'm playing against Victor and use my ability on Aeon to attack someone and then protect the allies.
    Victor can use his ability to take him down to 1hp (-7) and use one arrow, maybe the same he retrieve from the graveyard, to finish him next turn.
    Now, compre this ability to Logan's: one card + 3SE and Aeon is once again down. Aeon, 8hp.
    If I wanna take down an Aeon with Lance, I should use 4SE + Erika (the heavy hitter noone relies on) + I should already have an aldon on the board, or a Jasmine or a raven and a reconnaissance to play. 4SE + 5cc for Erika +3cc for recon + another ally on the board.
    I guess I should play an assassination for good (Yes, we already had a surprise attack)...

So, now we have concluded that Lance's ability is not (completely) an aggressive one.
    Let's see other heroes support/defense ability... I'll take as example...
    Moonstalker: 3SE hero and allies invulnerable to melee attack. Only 3cc, no other condition.
    Lance with 4 SE could obtain asimilar effect, if he uses the ability on protector... Which means on an Aeon, wich mean on turn 6 at least. Because, you know, who would cast such an ability on Skulborn, losing haste and the 2 extra SE compared to 1.27 ability? Oh, and of course if you're playing against a human hero the least you can expect is a retreat...
    Another one?
    Darkclaw (yes, it's not a case I'm taking wolves): 4SE and no damage to hero at all plus (just for fun) +2 attack until the start of next turn. Total defense and attak.

So, all this said.
    I have one thought in my mind, maybe it's wrong but this is my sensation: Lance's ability could be used as an aggressive one or as a defensive one; either case, effects are cool but not that cool for 4SE
    At this point the question is: do we want it to remain as it is?
    YES -> ability is too expensive
    NO -> leave it at 4cc but give one more effective option, like ally untargetable instead of "unattackable" (?)...
    or
    NO -> make other support cards [OR fix the old ones! Mugged and Lay Low are the worst cards ever!!!]

A fatty deck is possible and could be fun (competitive i dont know) But it's not easy to build and to play at all (if you want to mantain class flavor).
    [Just to be clear, Sisyphos 30 cards deck was great, but with only reconnaissance as class card. And that's not what I'd like to play from now on... I'm trying to make room for Stop, Thief! and Ill-Gotten Gains, for example]
    Oh, Serena: she is just dead until new weapons come out and she get her draw back.