Close

Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Exclamation My analysis of the new hero abilities, new cards and changes

EDIT: my final analysis (posted 10/31/11) of 1.28 heroes are on bottom of page 12 http://www.shadowera.com/showthread....changes/page12

SOOO, after extensive one day testing (haha, i know, right) here is my evaluation so far. overall, the new cards benefit shadow, thats a good thing. helps to even things out. dual wield was a surprise... as was Logan and Moonstalker. Boris got better but needs to watch his back, wasnt expecting that

HUMAN HEROES:

BORIS: no brainer, already the dominate hero, even more dominate with ability upgrade and the change to dual wield. he lost nothing and gain a bit. still T1

AMBER: can only get +2 to attack every three turns. bonus is gone when weapon is destroyed. DOES stack with new dual wield... and berserker's edge still gains its bonus. she is still playable until they fix the non-stacking bonus then play Boris instead.

GWEN: is less playable. has to choose between ability and beetle demon bows help. gravedigger is no longer a help either if you want the bonus. damage bonus is only one turn. im thinking gwen is nerfed.

VICTOR: (i thought victor was playable before just needed better card pool but then im not an aggro player) somewhat more playable, still more defensive style. repeating "into the forest" or "poison arrow" is OK. does make aimed shot more playable as a card BUT makes guardian bow even less played, if thats possible. he is somewhat more playable now. (HUGE AI BUG. victor can use his ability on your hero)

NISHAVEN: is the same. cant tell if new cards make him more playable except "poor quality", which WILL help him and Eladwen. so, slightly more playable

FROSTMIRE: ability now affects opposing hero. add that with "poor quality" and she is much stronger. more playable than before. possibly a T1.5 hero now.

JERICHO: nowhere near as strong against warriors as before. 2 healing doesnt make up for that. no benefit from poor quality. much less playable than before. maybe nerfed.

ZHANNA: is the same with allies included. doesnt benefit much from any new cards. playability is only slightly better.

LANCE: basically the same, just every 4 turns instead of every 2... just add in haste. haste doesnt remove exhaustion only allows a unit just cast to to attack, like kris. slight benefit from "poor quality" and maybe even "honored dead" but not likely. basically, still the same, still just a rush hero.

SERENA: she is ruined. her abiliy only works once on a weapon (and you can accidently waste it when you have no weapon). next turn its gone. definate nerf to serena. was playable before, just needed a second weapon. now she is done.

SHADOW HEROES:

TER ADUN: his ability stayed the same. the nerf to shriek doesnt affect him doesnt affect him at all (and benefits him as much as human warriors). the dual wield is a great benefit, huge even. i see more berserker ter's coming as well. with war banner, blood lust and pleasure from pain with dark ascendant... equal big OUCH factor. im moving ter adun upto a T1.5 hero with the new cards to his pool. unlikely he can challenge boris, but who know, might replace boris as number one.

LOGAN: im a little mixed with him. his ability is good, very good. basically the same as boris, with killing any ally, yes, he needs a weapon but he is a warrior, they have plenty. PLUS the added benefit of Logan not being attacked by allies every 3 turns unless weapon is removed. PLUS mourneblade can be used "out of the box", no lines, no waiting. add in the new cards like ter adun, and he is moving up to T1.5 as well, maybe higher. im wondering if the dominance of human warriros is over being replaced by shadow warriros?

BADURUU: its nice to be able to put a bow into play at no resource cost and have it +1 but its too expensive at 5se. (and i think there is a glitch, the bow didnt lose durability when baduruu was being attacked, can someone lese confirm this?) his new ability, like gwen's and victor's makes using certain cards nearly useless. you HAVE to choose using his ability instead of using SE cost on other cards like BdB, gravedigger's, etc. so you either have a useless hero ability or you can completely benefit from those cards. my personal opinion of Baduruu was that he was the single most powerful hero in the game but he has probaboly the worst card pool. so my take on this change, is he is done. 5se is too expensive and very limiting.

MAJIYA: im sorry to say, after trying her out. she is gone. no one is going to play her. too complex anf too difficult to get the card advantage, very distracting and takes to much game play to accoplish. add in that trying to get the benefit from her ability distracts you from doing something you might be better off doing (burning or attacking this ally so you can attack and kill it with maj, instead of hitting the hero or taking out 2 or 3 units), add in the upgrage to Frostmire and she is over. im seeing most mage players who love Maj moving to Frostmire. she is dead.

GRAVEBONE: my take on his ability has changed a bit. he great strength was how fast he can recycle his allies. throw in portal and he is a very tough opponent. he new ability is very very slow. BUT it does have an advantage. putting into play a PB, SK or Bella at no cost is tremendous. add in portal and one use of his ability could change and win the game. popping a PB right into play with portal and having the resources to use him... and maybe another PB you had in play... 12 damage, boom. add in shadow font for faster recovery and im leaning towards upgrade at the moment, even maybe T1.5 ill wait to see more battles with him to be sure. i also need to test bringing allies into play, the only one i have been able to test properly is SK. he was buried under a snake, i brought him into play with gravebones ability and the snake came to my hand, and he could attack because of a portal already in play, so it looks good.

BANEBOW: he stays the same but does benefit from the new shadow cards. look for more rush decks from him (and most shadow decks im guessing). he might take the spot that gwen is holding at the moment of best hunter. i think he is more playable than before. new cards are an upgrade for him and all shadow. nerf to shriek is gonna hurt them all but ter adun but overall its good.

DARKCLAW: im not liking his new ability. it might be good in the late game when he gets 2 attacks but its still only once every 4 turns. his half damage is now, no damage once every 4 turns. thats a downgrade. so the only positive is the damage bonus of +2 which is bad at 4se and only usalbe for 1 turn. although... out of all the shadow heroes, i think he will benefit the most from shadow font. pleasure from pain/dark ascendant COULD be good for all shadow decks (except for shard decks), we will have to see. so, with shadow font... he might be better, i dont know for sure, we will see, but im leaning towards downgrade for him.

MOONSTALKER: Hmmm... this is most definately an upgrade for him with adding in the allies. might be damn near OP with shadow font. they can still have spells used against them but they can also attack and you cant attack them. im thinking big up swing in moonstalker play. possible T1.5 hero

ELEMENTALIS: i dont really want to talk about this one. testing her out and everything i thought is true. once every 3 turns you can give 1 of your allies a permanent +1/+3. with all the ways to kill/cripple/incapacitate/return to hand options, this is ability is pretty much negated. (was briefly fun using this on a dark flayer and a gargoyle). does work after shard is cast. it does stack with life infusion (i had a 2/13 brute running around and then a 3/10 spark). and is negated by a shard being cast after the ability is used. that being said, it is only minimally useful in a weenie rush deck which would be better to use with zaladar. she is dead.

ZALADAR: his ability is unchanged. he doesnt benefit as much from the pleasure to pain/dark ascendant as much as he already can use shard of power. cant use shard and dark ascendant together. suffers greatly from the lose of shriek BUT greatly benefits from shadow font. so im leaning towards a slight improvement, but then, he was already T1.5 right?

dead heroes:
    Amber (if they fix the non-stacking bug she is done, right now, the bonuses stack so she is OK but less than before)
    Gwen (mostly)
    Jericho (possibly)
    Serena (done)
    Gravebone (possibly)<----changed almost dead 10/22
    Majiya (done)
    Elementalis (done)

watch out for these heroes:
    Frostmire
    Ter Adun
    Logan
    Moonstalker
    Baduruu (done)<---changed possible t1.5 10/22
    Darkclaw <--- added 10/22
    Victor <--- added 10/22
    Last edited by Caitlyn0; 11-01-2011 at 01:25 AM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    single cards:

human:

GOOD ASCENDANT: healing allies is always good. bad its at the start of your turn and can be destroyed before use. getting rid of dark ascendants is going to be its best advantage. will see a lot of play i beleive, good card

RADIANT SUNLIGHT: mixed feelings. it hurts you just as bad. 3cc is expensive. and unless the fact that all heroes are reliant on SE changes things too much, this card isnt goingto see much use. but, only the other hand, if the new SE abilities see a lot of use and game changing effects, people are going to start using this card and shadowspawn more. im leaning towards another useless SE remover to unsure

MISPLACED: terrific, another retreat. that was sarcasm this one for items. we are going to see this card a fair amount. good card.

POOR QUALITY: makes most weapons useless off the bat. cuts usage of armor and weapons in half. much needed card for a lot of human decks, especially human mages. good card.

HONORED DEAD: high casting cost, only late game use. very limited card but could be useful as it gives you 2 cards and gives human heroes some healing. im neutral to OK with this card.

SHADOW:

EVIL ASCENDANT: seems a little useless at first, only useful to get rid of good ascendants healing and then bites you in the ass BUT then you look at pleasure from pain... great card in combo, bad card without.

PLEASURE FROM PAIN: wow. definately my favorite new card. when is it not useful? how often do allies get damaged but not killed? add in that the bonus is immediate on damage... say a puwen attacks a brute, the brute takes 2, the brute attacks back and the puwen takes 2. its a poor mans war banner for all shadow decks and with almost no downside except taking up a card slot. new auto add of at least 2 for me i think. BEST NEW CARD

SELFISHNESS: another wow. lets remove aeons and skullbornes protector ability!!! for 2cc. amazing. another auto add of at least 2. the second best of the new cards.

ACID JET: not a fan. its help against the bigger armors and weapons but way too expensive at 4cc compared to those cards that actually destroy items nd weapons and armor. and its useless against those other items. so does not make up for the nerf to shriek. i dont think it is even worth putting in a deck. bad card.

SHADOW FONT: another wow considering the change in heroes abilities. even at the too expensive 4cc (my opinion) its still great, well worth using. another possible auto add, maybe even 4. great card.

CARD CHANGES:

DUAL WIELD: wasnt expecting this wow. it basically adds a 5th weapon of any type to your deck. and makes it better with +1 attack. used with mournblade and you can attack with it immediately instead of having to wait. we will definately see this card get tons more use. best card change.

SURPRISE ATTACK: wasnt that bad before, just didnt see much use. it got better. only bad thing is how easy it is to get rid of allies. still... good card change.

RABID BITE: hmm... difficult to judge. its not a 2 turn thing anymore but can now attack the hero. ill be neutral on this one. mainly because it doesnt help wulven but it doesnt hurt them either.

SHRIEK OF VENGEANCE: do i even need to say it??? mostly useless card now. good for warbanners and JD and a few other things but can actually help with destroying the JD allowing your opponent to bring it back with a +1. pretty much dead.

overall most is good, i think. i dont like nerfs and never will but i dont control the game.
    Last edited by Caitlyn0; 10-19-2011 at 03:07 AM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Very good write up. Agree with most things you say. Dual wield is pretty crazy.

I think that Moonstalker with shadow font is going to be tier one, possibly the deck to beat, maybe even broken.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    im thinking logan might be the deck to beat, with boris, moonstalker and ter adun coming in close and frostmire a little behind them. we'll see

im seeing a shift of dominance from human warriors to shadow warriors... thats my prediction

Sealed Deck Champion
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Zhanna's ability has Changed....Now,She can heal the allies too....

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Thanks, i can't test the v1.28, does the new cards will be released in 1.28 ?

EDIT : will the new cards be in v1.28 ?
    Last edited by kentuequi; 10-19-2011 at 05:26 AM.
    "Rastas don't believe in violence... Rastas don't believe... Rastas know." -Bob Marley-

Winner of the Multi-Post Streak Challenge
    *’”⁷ᵔᵕᵔ∞*°゜゚⁰ᵒ☉●•⋆.ᵢᵢᵢ₇.。・°'¨⋋ⓚⓔⓝⓣⓤⓔⓠⓤⓘ⋌¨'°・。.₇₇₇.⋆•●☉ᵒ⁰゜゚°*∞ᵔᵕᵔ⁷‘“*
    ⊰☠ ℑcℯ ℰℒℱ ☠⊱

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    your right, zhannas ability does affect allies but her playability doesnt increase much. ill include that.

and does the new cards will be released? are you asking if the new cards are in 1.28? yes, to my understanding.

and sorry for the typos and bad spelling. i didnt edit or spell check before i posted. was tired :P but you can understand what i was saying i believe.

1.27 Tournament Champion Raphael Majere's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    No, new cards only in 1.29.

hero changes yes. 1.28.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    i thought the 10 cards were going to be part of 1.28. and the "hidden" cards on the test server were coming with 1.29.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    gonna have to disagree with you on Badaruu, his ability is way better than you make it out to be. On your turn 5 instead of playing SS for 5 resources you play it for free plus 2cc&3cc, or 4cc&1c, or 5cc cards. PB or SK PLUS Soulseeker on t5?? that kicks ass. Youve underestimated him, he is not at all a dead hero.

Elementalis, also not dead. You dont use the ability early, you just have to learn to be smart with it. just because an ally can be killed, crippled, retreated, etc doesnt mean the ability is completely negated. while the ability may be negated at times, your opponent has to worry about that buffed up ally and deal with it right away, thus using resources sometimes better spent else where or at a different time.

While I think some of your research is wrong or could be better researched, you've got a decent grasp on what the heroes will be like in 1.28. I didnt take the time to read what you said on the spells, most are sub par and wont bring a huge amount of difference to the game. I said MOST so no one try and bitch that there are useful ones.

Overall, gj Cait.
    Gamer Mind: Carbon_911

Go for the throat...show no mercy..