Close

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Wrath of the Wulven - Competitive Moonstalker 40c deck for 1.5

Motivation
    The Wrath of the Wulven deck is tailored towards making the best of Wulven's inherent abilities and combine them into a strong deck that stands a fighting chance in any matchup. Unfortunately Wulven still lack race specific item destruction and draw mechanic, which keeps them from competing well consistently at very high levels of play.

This deck combines strong Shadow creatures with highly beneficial synergy effects and Wulven's potent creature removal tools. Moonstalker's ability to safeguard himself and his allies from physical attacks at crucial points in time complements the deck very well.

If you made yourself familiar with the deck's play-style and know your opponents basic tactics, this deck carries you easily to a rating of 250 and further. More consistent players should reach 300+ with not too much trouble.

Deck
    Hero (1)
    Moonstalker

Allies (22)
    4 Pack Wolf
    2 Brutalis
    4 Keldor
    2 Death Mage Thaddeus
    4 Plasma Behemoth
    2 Ogloth the Glutton
    4 Shadow Knight

Abilities (17)
    4 Now You're Mine
    4 Captured Prey
    3 Bloodlust
    4 Jeweler's Dream
    2 Sacrifical Lamb

Strategy
    The deck was build using The Rule of Six, giving it different strategic options to choose from, depending on the opponent you are facing. Using Moonstalker's ability wisely to protect key creatures at crucial points in the game and exploiting your opponents weak spot is the main goal of this deck. In this latest iteration for 1.5 I cut back on item destruction, due to the lack of viable options. With 22 creatures, 11 cards to support those and a well balanced resource curve, you will have a very good ratio to apply pressure and keep strong in any match-up.

The deck can be broken down into the following sections, each fulfilling a different goal:

(I) Low cost / swarm creatures - Pack Wolf & Brutalis
    (II) Versatile mid cost creatures - Keldor & Death Mage Thaddeus
    (III) Hard Hitters - Plasma Behemoth & Ogloth the Glutton
    (IV) Creature Control / Removal - Now You're Mine, Captured Prey & Bloodlust
    (V) Card Draw - Shadow Knight & Sacrifical Lamb
    (VI) Ressource advantage (& ping damage) - Jeweler's Dream (& Death Mage Thaddeus)

On card draw
    As Wulven lacks race specific card draw and the usual choices present as much benefit to your opponent as to yourself, I decided to keep it expensive and creature heavy with 4 Shadow Knight, adding in 2 Sacrifical Lamb for strategic use later in the game. As the deck features 10 high cost allies and 10 opportunities to use up resources with creatures, you do not need to play a card every round (e.g. using Keldor and Plasma Behemoth special abilities and not playing a card is totally fine). Jeweler's Dream helps keeping a ressource advantage, mitigating the need to play a lot of resources, again saving cards in your hand. 6 resources suffice most of the time.

On item destruction
    No item destruction seems crazy, but thinking it through it does make sense. Every creature and weapon attack can be seen as a form of item destruction vs weapons and armour. Yes, there are abilities you won't be able to deal with directly, but indirectly by applying insane amounts of pressure by playing creatures non-stop and safeguarding them. I made the experience that you can overwhelm your opponent in most cases with this strategy.

Pending on what opponent you face, the strategy can vary in different aspects.

Basic synergies & tactics
    • Use Moonstalker's ability to protect key creatures like Plasma Behemoth or multiple creatures if you plan on using Bloodlust the next round
    • Use Shadow Knight to revive Plasma Behemoth, Ogloth the Glutton or chain revive Shadow Knight
    • Use Death Mage Thaddeus entry ping damage together with a previously played creature to finish off an ally
    • Use Jeweler's Dream to the same goal and or to reduce item durability of your opponent
    • Use Jeweler's Dream when it allows you to play additional useful cards. (e.g. when played in round 4 attack a Kristoffer and use the freed up resources to Now You're Mine an Aldon, play a Pack Wolf or inrease the damage of T3 Keldor to 4 to deal with almost any T3 ally on the board)
    • Use Plasma Behemoth and Death Mage Thaddeus vs. stealthed creatures or during Rain Delay
    • Use Keldor's ability to kill off strong cost 3 creatures and for additional damage output
    • Use Plasma Behemoth, Death Mage Thaddeus and Pack Wolf vs. Warriors and Crippling Blow
    • Use Sacrifical Lamb wisely to kill off useless creatures, send a near dead creature to the grave to get revived by Shadow Knight or buff Ogloth the Glutton
    • Use Ogloth the Glutton on enemy or even allied creatures to buff him and send creatures to the grave (possible Shadow Knight resurrection)
    • Play Pack Wolf preferably if you have at least 2 in your starting hand to utilize its self-buff
    • Use Bloodlust to either seal the deal or to kill off key creatures
    • Keep Captured Prey for creatures with special abilities, like Plasma Behemoth or Shadow Knight
    • Use Now You're Mine against buffed low cost creatures or cornerstone creatures like Aldon the Brave or Jasmine Rosecult
    • Be mindful of keeping some Hard Hitters on your hand vs Mages and Priests with mass removal

Awwhoooooooo...
    Last edited by Cruxx; 04-06-2012 at 04:09 PM.
    Conceptual stuff
    The Rule of Six - Building and reviewing a deck.

Behold my Wulven decks
    Wrath of the Wulven - Making the most of your Moonstalker!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Not many Wulven players around it seems...
    Anyways, I've adapted the deck again slightly.

Basically I changed Bad Wolf vs Infernal Gargoyle, because they are so much more resilient and Shriek vs Rabid Bite. When I am behind Rabid Bite can make a real difference, Shriek on the other hand is always connected with a drawback, since I normally play with 3-4 ressources for a relatively long time (basically until I draw Behemoth).

What kind of Wulven decks are you guys playing?

Sealed Deck Champion
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruxx View Post
    What kind of Wulven decks are you guys playing?
    Wont play it anymore until 1.28 hits.....

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by PP Star 4ever View Post
    Wont play it anymore until 1.28 hits.....
    Sad to hear, but understandable. I for one don't really mind representing the underdog for a while and every now and then beat up current flavours of the month.
    Last edited by Cruxx; 10-10-2011 at 03:34 PM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruxx View Post
    Not many Wulven players around it seems...
    We're on vacation until 1.28 comes out.
    In game name: Plague12
    "...I don't lecture, I don't rap, I'm no bureaucrat; I'm just a guy out of nowhere came to be involved in something five-hundreds times bigger than you and me." - Nines Rodriguez, Anarch

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Plague View Post
    We're on vacation until 1.28 comes out.
    So true.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I am with you on choosing Darkclaw over Moonstalker because of the passive half-damage ability. Makes it easier to deal with early onslaught of weenies and take a few hits to deplete opponent's weapons'/armors' durability.

But yeah, seems there is a lot of difficult hurdles for Wulven on 1.277 at the moment, but it's still a fun deck to play, especially when Aeon's not there or dealt with already.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    After being convinced to not ignore Shriek, I think I will try this new version now. More cards to not have Shriek on the hand too often, 5 of those additional draw mechanic (3 Shadow Knight, 2 Wrath of the Forest), then 2 Hellsteed to balance out creature / ressource curve a bit and +1 for Full Moon, Rabid Bite and What Big Teeth each to adapt to higher amount of cards.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Why make it complicated, when it can be so easy...

Big mouth Nishaven opponent had first turn, I one of the worst start hands possible (4 Shrieks and no creature for 1 or 2 resources), he used Plasma Blast twice, trashtalking all the while how I am going to go down... until I overran him with a Full Moon & Bloodbath combination. Wulven Power represent!!!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Ok, will stress test this one tomorrow, hope What Big Teeth and Wrath of the Forest don't get disintegrated the turn after they are played.