Close

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Wulven question for the top 20

Is anyone in the top echelon running a 30 card Wulven deck? I know the tendency is to have a huge 70+ card monstrosity and basically wait out your opponents but I was wondering if anyone was breaking that mold. Currently I myself am running exactly that, a small Wulven deck, and I have yet to lose against a variety of decks. (Yes, mostly Eladwen) It's basically a mono-black control deck (for those MTG kids out there) running 4 each of all the removal cards + the basic "Make Darkclaw invincible" cards, with no stall cards whatsoever. Every game I never exceed 4 resources, and usually end the game sitting on 7 removal cards with an entirely clean board and a decked opponent. I understand that's the basic strategy for any Darkclaw deck, but striving for a little uniqueness in a game utterly dominated by deck clones, I was wondering if I was alone using my smaller version of the deck.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninwaq View Post
    Is anyone in the top echelon running a 30 card Wulven deck? I know the tendency is to have a huge 70+ card monstrosity and basically wait out your opponents but I was wondering if anyone was breaking that mold. Currently I myself am running exactly that, a small Wulven deck, and I have yet to lose against a variety of decks. (Yes, mostly Eladwen) It's basically a mono-black control deck (for those MTG kids out there) running 4 each of all the removal cards + the basic "Make Darkclaw invincible" cards, with no stall cards whatsoever. Every game I never exceed 4 resources, and usually end the game sitting on 7 removal cards with an entirely clean board and a decked opponent. I understand that's the basic strategy for any Darkclaw deck, but striving for a little uniqueness in a game utterly dominated by deck clones, I was wondering if I was alone using my smaller version of the deck.
    The top 20 wulven decks I've seen (two different ones) both have more than 30 cards.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Wulven decks's main point is outlive mage deck so of course they have more cards

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    MY Wulven deck is 45 cards. 70+ just seems random.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Mine is 32 cards, and wins consistently. I'm playing it so much simply because there are a ridiculous number of flavor of the month human speed decks out there. When people stop playing those so much it'll be nice.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    my question for wulven players is what happens when you meet the mirror.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by imanujakku View Post
    Hah. Not a whole lot =)

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by imanujakku View Post
    So I discovered if you have a full hand when you run out of cards in your library, you won't be forced to draw more cards, thus not taking any damage. So if both players have Lone Wolf out, the game could stalemate indefinitely.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadun View Post
    So I discovered if you have a full hand when you run out of cards in your library, you won't be forced to draw more cards, thus not taking any damage. So if both players have Lone Wolf out, the game could stalemate indefinitely.

Well this is the actual basis of my deck, and the reason I was asking if anyone else was doing it. Because having 40, 50, 60 cards or whatever seems to be kind of pointless. I run 30 cards, so I ALWAYS hit what I need, every hand, every time, and make sure to keep my resources super low since It's not like I ever need to play anything above 4 cost. In essence, why bother with so many cards when you run the risk of not getting what you need early on when you can still possibly lose when you don't need to because of the "draw no new cards at max hand size" rule.

As an aside, I haven't lost yet but I also haven't hit the mirror, I think I would concede instantly and save about 12 hours of my life.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninwaq View Post
    why bother with so many cards when you run the risk of not getting what you need early on
    As a 370+ I run around 45-50 in mine because of priest decks and the ter adun hero which can destroy items. Having 4 of each item makes it less likely to have all your "what big teeth" or vital items like that lost. + I always get what I need using Bad Santas and Bazaar while also milling the opponent with them.
    As much as wulven > mage portal decks, I shudder at priest/ter matchups...
    Last edited by Michelle Geheimnis; 02-28-2011 at 10:48 PM.