Close

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

How to use Retreat!

Retreat is a very powerful card in the human arsenal. Many new players severely underestimate its effectiveness. In this article we will go some of over the various ways to use Retreat!

Retreat! is a great card for gaining tempo advantage. Tempo is, in short, being able to play more or stronger cards in a shorter period of time due to efficient resource allocation. Retreat! lets us gain tempo advantage by paying a low cost to set our opponent back a turn. For example, if on turn 6 my opponent plays an Aeon and I retreat it, my opponent has effectively lost a turn. I will still have resources left over to cast an ally or play a spell, giving me the tempo advantage. Using our knowledge of tempo advantage we can effectively use Retreat! to help us keep board control.

Retreat! Also allows for removing protector at a key time. It is very common is human ally deck to use Aeon to protect several key, but weaker allies. Using retreat we can now access those allies. For example, the board looks like this. You opponent has a Puwen, Aldon, and Aeon on the board, while you have a Jasmine and an Aldon. If you play Retreat! on the Aeon, you can gain complete board since you can now get rid of Puwen and Aldon.

You can also use Retreat! to “reset” an ally. This is can be used both offensively and defensively. There are many cards that can attack to an ally. When a card is retreated, all those attachments are removed. This can be used to remove, for example, life infusion from an enemy ally, or poison arrow from a friendly ally. This also works with abilities that aren’t attached effects. For example, it can be used to remove the effects of Marshland Sentinel or Raven’s attack. On top of that, the ally the ally comes back with full health. This can make your Aeon’s or Sandworms much harder to deal with.

Retreat! can also save allies from your board wipes. This is can be used to great effect when using Nishaven. You can cast allies early game for some quick damage, then retreat a key ally. Jasmine and Aldon would both be good choices. Then you could cast them gain after wiping the board, giving you board control.

Another good use of Retreat! is to use Kristo to attack twice in one turn. This is a very strong move that many newer players do not consider. Kristo haste a lets him attack the turn he is summoned. Using Retreat! to cast him again can double his damage. This move is only made better if there is an Aldon or War banner on the field. With both on field Kristo can go from doing 3 damage to an amazing 6 damage.

These are only some of the uses of Retreat! feel free to discuss your favorite uses of Retreat! beloew.
    Last edited by CodeDomination; 10-04-2011 at 04:49 PM.
    Coder of the Night -- A1 : Evolution in Theory

Member of the Player's Focus Group 1

My Decks:
    -------------

My Articles:
    My Strategy articles compilation

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Retreating my Lily to get another Soul Seeker <3
    iClipse - A1's Twilight Manipulator - A1 : Evolution in Theory
    Part of PFG

• My psychiatrist told me I was crazy and I said I want a second opinion. He said okay, you're ugly too.

• Just remember...if the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off.

• With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.

• I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not sure.

• A diplomat is someone who can tell you to go to hell in such a way that you will look forward to the trip.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I've noticed a couple of these threads on Retreat lately. It's good to see players are more aware of Retreat's effectiveness and include it more I guess. If you take a look at the Retreat thread and others, there have been a couple people that think Retreat is junk. I'm one of those lazy people that don't have much patience when it comes to "debating" strategy and trying to get people to look at things from my perspective so I've just left them alone. But I've almost always had 4 Retreats in all of my Human decks.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by iClipse View Post
    Retreating my Lily to get another Soul Seeker <3
    Haha aw I thought I pioneered that move
    ~*Pain Is Only A Pulse, If You Just Stop Feeling It*~

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I attack the opposing hero with all my ally(ies) (the best is to have 3 allies maximum). Use retreat on the strongest/more useful of them (depending of the situation). Then I nuke everything on the battefield, with Nishaven power (It's more funny when your opponent have at least 3-4 allies on his/her side). After that, I cast the ally that I choose as retreat's target.

1.27 Tournament Champion Raphael Majere's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Old combo: Retreat a beetle bow demon ally. Reshoot for 3 more times - retransform into ally.

About me: An Interview
    About my guild: Warriors of the Blue Phoenix

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    With Portal out, you can attack with an ally played the previous turn and then Retreat them and replay them to hit again in the same turn.

This essentially turns one card (Retreat) into strong direct damage, providing you have the ally out already.

This is one of the few places where Human Mage Portal decks are better than Shadow Mage Portal decks.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Bah.. Retreat is terrible, people don't listen to these guys, they lost their minds.
    "Rastas don't believe in violence... Rastas don't believe... Rastas know." -Bob Marley-

Winner of the Multi-Post Streak Challenge
    *’”⁷ᵔᵕᵔ∞*°゜゚⁰ᵒ☉●•⋆.ᵢᵢᵢ₇.。・°'¨⋋ⓚⓔⓝⓣⓤⓔⓠⓤⓘ⋌¨'°・。.₇₇₇.⋆•●☉ᵒ⁰゜゚°*∞ᵔᵕᵔ⁷‘“*
    ⊰☠ ℑcℯ ℰℒℱ ☠⊱

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentuequi View Post
    Bah.. Retreat is terrible, people don't listen to these guys, they lost their minds.
    Please tell me this is sarcasm, if not you're more of a noon than I .....(no offence)
    Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I Die, You are forgiven. If I Live, I will kill you." Such is the Rule of Honor.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentuequi View Post
    Please tell me this is sarcasm, if not you're more of a noob than I .....(no offence)
    Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I Die, You are forgiven. If I Live, I will kill you." Such is the Rule of Honor.