Close

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Lead Developer / Designer Gondorian's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    What about Gargoyle, Aeon and Fireball?

I think Jasmine should be number 2, btw, since all Human decks should have 4x Jasmine and 4x Retreat by default.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I agree that Captured Prey is "better" than CB, but the list is talking about 1.27 and there aren't THAT many Wolf decks out there in this meta, at least compared to the whole.

Good list, but CB needs to be on there, it's so good -- it's even better than a kill sometimes, so they can't re-animate it (vs Shadow Knight or Gravebone).
    1.25, 1.26, 1.27: 40 card decks, Big Bad Baduruu
    1.28/1.29 - best forgotten except for Elementalis Prime Grindage

1.5 - it's all good Naughty Gwenches
    -
    Players Focus Group 1, Missing In Action member of PFG 2

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by graphlem View Post
    I agree that Captured Prey is "better" than CB, but the list is talking about 1.27 and there aren't THAT many Wolf decks out there in this meta, at least compared to the whole.

Good list, but CB needs to be on there, it's so good -- it's even better than a kill sometimes, so they can't re-animate it (vs Shadow Knight or Gravebone).
    10 Ten Cards should have nothing to do with what decks are run. If a card is good, it's good. No matter how awful it's archtype is.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Drakkon View Post
    10 Ten Cards should have nothing to do with what decks are run. If a card is good, it's good. No matter how awful it's archtype is.
    I get your point and conceptually I agree with it, but I think of it this way: is it really one of the best in 1.27 if you hardly ever see it?

I think the spirit of the list is "what cards help shape and define the best decks in 1.27?" I don't know; that's how I interpret it anyway.
    1.25, 1.26, 1.27: 40 card decks, Big Bad Baduruu
    1.28/1.29 - best forgotten except for Elementalis Prime Grindage

1.5 - it's all good Naughty Gwenches
    -
    Players Focus Group 1, Missing In Action member of PFG 2

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Interesting list, Brontos. Though I'd make a lot of amendments for my own top 10, I'd like to convince you of this one because I'm almost sure of it. Soul Seeker should be higher on the list than Jeweler's Dream.

Soul Seeker made Gwen viable. Soul Seeker is pretty much auto-include in all hunter decks. If there was 1 card that a hunter would hate to lose via transference/D. Ripper/etc., it would be Soul Seeker. While Jeweler's Dream is great, it still needs to combo with good draw to be awesome. Jeweler's isn't typically run in Wulven decks and isn't found in some warrior decks either. Raph's "Weapon X" deck for Logan, doesn't run Jeweler's even though it synergy with his ability.

Hands down---Soul Seeker over Jeweler's Dream

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Wizent's Staff is better than Bad Santa and often better than Blood Frenzy (more flexible in function and doesn't have the same drawback). The reason it sees less play has nothing to do with how good it is and everything to do with how incompetent most players are in regards to building and piloting priest decks. Nevermind the fact that Majiya is the best draw engine in the game since its a free draw every other turn with no deck space taken (which for comparison is like having an innate +4 other good stuff).

Mind Control is also one of the worst spot removals in the game since the cost isn't worth the added effect. Most classes have 3 remove an ally with no other benefit (in some fashion), and 2 cost inefficient burn that can only target the hero is awful. Pretty much all spot removal > Mind Control.

Plasma Behemoth deserves mention as the strongest piece of fat in the game, the problem is getting one to stick since shadow allies tend to have less good stuff midgame.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    blood frenzy only number 3!!
    this is outrageous.
    :P

It has changed the face of the game.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    It's good to read that everybody has ideas about this list.
    It's not an easy exercise!

About CB and Captured Prey: at best, you use one card to gain one card. That's not card advantage. At worst, you use one card for nothing (vs jericho). It's strong as a solution to an ally, but it's not strong enough to be in this list. Mind control in comparison, is always at worst a one for one, and can reduce durability AND deal damage at best (kill raven, destroy wizent, destroy king's pride, deal 3 damage with one card? possible with mind control!). That's the kind of material that makes a card good. It's debatable with Lightning strike, but I like the card advantage LS can give on Puwen and his turn 2 friends.
    Drakkon is right, the deck around the card is just of minor influence in this list. It's not null, but it's not a key argument. If there was an awesome Wulven card but no wulven decks, I would add it in the 5 lasts of the list.

About Soul Seeker: I see your point and maybe you are right about this one: it could be above JD. It's just that I'm amazed by the effect on the board a JD have when your hand is full. You create a situation that is too hard to reverse most of the time. You can play an ally AND an anti-ally card: that's board control dream. I love SS, it's strong like hell, but it's as well not that good by himself. It's a good weapon, but only in Gwen's hands. On others hunters, it's just good, not game changing like on Gwen. And I'm sure Wulvens are not using JD correctly yet.
    Very debatable in the end. Good point.

Bad Santa, Blood Frenzy, Wizent Staff: Blood Frenzy is the best engine, hands down. But it has a drawback: you lose your life. How many times have I lost because of this... it's a godlike card, but it won't be perfect enough to be higher (ie: 1st).
    When you start, Bad Santa is just too strong. The opponent gains nothing, and if you played a popular Kris on turn 1, you will refresh your hand A LOT. Like Ancestral Recall LOT. Cumulate this with the advantage given by the fact you are starting the game, and you have a win in the hand.
    Wizent Staff is strong. No debate here. I just had to classify it under BS for the single reason listed above. But I certainly understand another pov on this one. It's a weapon. It's a strenght (you can attack), but it's also a weakness. If you don't have board control, and are waiting for the tidal wave, you will lose your staff quickly.

About Behemoth, Aeon, Raven etc: they have been shortlisted in the end. If I had to make it the TOP 20, they would certainly be in it. The biggies are what they are: biggies. They come on turn 5, and they have the impact on the game a card that costs 5 should have. They can be dealt with, and in the end, I don't see anything spectacular about them. Some decks play 4 of them, some don't. It's a choice. Ogloth will certainly be in my next top 10 as a comparison element, because of what he can do. Jasmine is different because of her low cost. To compare with Gargoyle, I will always be happier to draw a Jasmine on turn 10 than a Gargoyle.

In the end again, it's all about my subjective opinion. But it generates debates that are very interesting. ^^
    Last edited by Brontos; 10-01-2011 at 02:18 AM.
    -brontos

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    what about Rabid Bite?it can also give card advantage.need to be in top 10 before the nerf hehe
    Shadow Era:

Every Turn Counts

"Being strong isn't just about having powers or moves...It is about HEART." - Roronoa Zoro, One Piece

PFG 2 Member "You idealize, we criticize."
    1st Singapore Meltdown Physical Tournament Winner

IGN: Berdugo ETC
    Profession: Alien Hunter

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Rabit Bite is too weird, too complex and too situationnal to be top 10 material.

I recently had a serie of loss playing Darkclaw. And while I was playing this card, I saw interesting behaviours. It will nearly never kill the target (Aeon is a pain), you will rarely kill 2 allies with it (frequently one) and it's removed by Jericho (the one playing Aeon on your face). I love it's capacity to prevent your opp from playing an ally for a turn.

Also, to be able to play it correctly, you need the opp to have 2 allies on the board. What kind of situation is that? You can never play Rabit Bite when you have Board Control, forcing you to deal with some alllies with your own (and sometimes you don't want to, like against Raven).

In the end, I don't see it entering the top 10. It's not universally strong enough for this.
    (and I still don't understand why it's nerfed)
    -brontos