Close

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Sucker-punch Nishaven

Partly inspired by Raphmajere's building of Zal Mega-rush, I wanted take another under-utilized hero and make them competitive. I've spent way too much time playing with mages, so Nish was my obvious choice. Also, a lot of the reasoning for this deck comes from Hit em with all you got.

So, what do mages have going for them? The answer is easy, offense. They have the most powerful, damage efficient spells in the game, and those spells can't be mediated by armor, or really defended in any way. I should mention that by damage efficient, I mean they do the most damage per resource.

But Kamman, Nish's ability is such a good controlling maneuver, I want to run a control mage deck! Well, you're in the wrong place. To run a control deck, you need cards that counter attacks, control the game, or heal you significantly, allowing you to wait out your opponent until your late game win condition kicks in. Mages have few counters, no heals, and no late-game win conditions. Look at the high cc human allies. You're paying a lot of resource for little attack power, but a lot of health. Sure, peoples are going to have trouble taking board control away from you, but why would they bother? Look at what other heroes can do for 6-7 resources- cast KP, bumping probably several allies by 2 attack each, bringing in a 5-6 damage shadow ally, mind controlling your beasts and damaging you- basically the high cc human allies only work when they can be buffed, so that they become threatening, and mages have no good buffs.

What do I mean by threatening? It's what He-man has called inevitability, basically that you will do more damage to their hero with your allies than their allies can do to you, forcing them to attack your allies rather than your hero. What this means is that any other hero will gladly ignore your sandworm or aeon and beatdown your hero.

So what you need to do as Nish (or any mage) is constantly have a threatening board position, meaning your allies are always doing the greater potential damage. To ensure this, you need to be using damage efficient allies, so that your resources are converted into the most potential damage. This forces your opponent to attack your allies rather than your hero, allowing them to act as a meat shield, your only really defensive measure as a mage.

The problem here of course is that your allies will likely die before doing damage, which is where portal comes in! Portal allows you to attack the enemy hero, while simulataneously forcing your opponent to deal with your over-threatening allies and thus "meat-shielding" you.

Now, this is essentially the idea behind a gravebone deck, and shadow allies tend to be more aggressive than human allies, so why use nish? Well, the most damage efficient ally is in the human side (blake). The human allies that are most cost effective are 1-3 resources, meaning it is easy to make sure that you use exactly all of you resources each turn, maximizing your damage. Last, the human allies tend to be more durable than the shadow allies, while being as damage efficient. This means human allies act as a better meat shield. The counterside is that the shadow allies have cooler bonus abilities, but that's not as much a concern here. Last reason is Nish's ability- using allies in this way causes your opponent to constantly focus and attack your allies, meaning you rarely have board control. After your "meat shield" dies away, Nish's ability clears the board, preventing that opposing board control from translating into damage to your hero.

So inspired by these ideas, here's my take on the most competitive Nish deck possible. It's probably not quite tier 1, but it can get near 50% win ratios.

Nishaven

4x kris
    4x puwen
    4x blake
    3x aldon
    3x birgitte

4x fireball
    4x lightning strike
    2x nova

4x portal
    3x bazaar
    4x bad santa
    2x SS

There are two main ways to play the deck, which can be varied depending on which hero you are facing, what sort of draw you get, and whether you go first or second.

Allies first

If you go first, or if the opponent hasn't played an ally by turn 2, go can go ally-first-spells-second. In this scenario, you play your cheap allies and win some early board control and damage. This also works against priests, who should have no trouble destroying a late game portal, making your saved up allies worthless. A kris-puwen-aldon-LS combo should give you early game board control, no matter who you play. You should play for board control until turn 4-5, at which point it should become clear that your opponent is going to gain board control from you. At that point, use all your remain hits to go after their hero. If you can bring the hero down at least 10 life points with the early rush, you've done your duty. If you don't think you can get in 10 damage to the hero, then you should be using the other play strategy, or stop after kris.

At this point we're at turn 4-5, you've done 10+ damage with your early allies, and the opponent is slowly gaining board control. Don't be in any rush to use your ability. Use spells, even a nova if you can, to maintain board control. Use a SS to slow their attacks, buying you a few more turns before Nish's ability becomes critical. Your opponent will be holding onto a good card or two until after you play your ability, so make them wait on that card. Judge how much damage you can do with spells per turn, versus what their allies can do. If they can only hit you with less than 5 damage per turn, hold your ability and wait for their good stuff to come out. Try to wait until your SE gets to 8 before using your ability, as your second ability will be available shortly after.

Late game, you can either finish them with spells or with a portal-weenies combo.

In this sort of game, don't be afraid to sac portals, as you are using your allies early and saving your spells for later anyways.

Spells/draw first

If you are playing someone with a good early game rush, hold off on your allies. This can also be a good strategy against warriors, as crippling blow and retreat silence your allies that might later be more deadly in a late game portal combo. Play a bazaar or bad santa early to keep your card draw high. Use a fireball turn 3, either on their hero, or on an aldon (I don't think any other ally really warrants a fireball). Turn 4 go for a Lightning strike. Look for the board clear asap, especially if they've built up a strong ally base and did good damage to you early. Turn 5 nova works well, or just using a LS, or a FB + Bazaar or bad santa. On turn 6, go for your portal + puwen. Turn 7, play as many blakes as you can get down, plus an aldon if you have it or a birgitte for protection. This will be huge, damage wise. 2 blakes + aldon = 11 damage to hero, if they have no armor. Plus, they have to attack your allies, or you'll hit for the same damage + more the turn after.

Notes

Some notes on blake- he can be killed by so many card in the current meta, that he's only recommended when you are certain he will get damage in to the hero- so either you go 1st against a shadow hero and he has nothing out by your turn 2, or otherwise exclusively with a portal. Blake is the most damage efficient card in the game, so you should almost never sac him. Saving a couple for a late game portal combo is more brutal than your DD spells, even without aldon accompanying them.

Notes on Fireball- this is your most damage efficient spell, which unlike blake can't be blocked by armor. Use FB's wisely. They should almost always be used against the hero, unless there is an extremely compelling reason to do so otherwise- like you will lose if you don't kill their shadow knight by the next turn. Smart use of fireball wins games with Nish.

All of your allies (minus birgitte, of course) are damage efficient when used with portal. Kris is even damage efficient when used without portal, and in fact should probably primarily be used without a portal unless you have an aldon around and an extra resource to kill. If you don't play a kris in your first turn or two, don't feel bad saccing it. Although it is still damage efficient when played late game, it will run your through your deck faster for less of a punch, so for me kris is the one ally in which card use and advantage should be valued over damage efficiency.

Draw engines

What!?!? Bazaar you say? Why? Let's make our mages scholarly and get research down on the board. WRONG. Research is terrible from the perspective of resource efficiency. 4 resources for one card, 6 for 2? Forget it, you can't afford to throw resources around like that. Look at it this way- a research played on turn 2 won't get used in this deck until turn 5 in the earliest. One card by turn 5? Research is a control deck type draw engine. Right now control-type mages are just not viable, so neither is research. This may change by 1.28, but don't hold your breath.

To be damage efficient, you need to be saccing a card every turn, and using as many of your resources per turn as possible. Thus I opt for the two most efficient draw engines in the game, bazaar and bad santa. If you're really worried about card advantage, think of it this way- bazaar will keep your opponents hand flush with cards, so bad santa will give you mad card advantage. Otherwise, you'll just have to have trust in your deck that bazaar will help you more than your opponent (which I have argued is possible elsewhere).
    Last edited by kamman13; 09-28-2011 at 04:20 PM.

My thoughts and ramblings:
    The art of death racing
    Hitting em with all you got
    In defense of bazaar
    Card draw engines and card draw advantage
    Damage Strategies in SE

A1's resident Mathemalogian
    A1 : Evolution in Theory.
    Member of the PFG, and guest article writer for GDC's website

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    10/5 update

A quick update- this deck does surprisingly well! I seem to be generating better than a 50% win ratio for sure, and can beat many competitive decks, including warriors, as some IRC playtesting proved.

The worst matchup is Gwen, which has always been the worst matchup for human mages so this is no surprise. Priests and elementals have been pretty easy to handle, and warrior have been falling to this deck about 75% of the time. Against other mages, it's pretty much a 50-50 death race.

The key is how awesome this deck is, is that going first can almost always ensure you a win. Especially if your opponent has no allies to play in the first 2-3 turns. There are various ways to play good starts. Some examples- T1 kris, T2-puwen, T3 aldon is always awesome, but if you think blake can last a turn, then, T1 kris, T2 blake, T3 draw +birgitte (to protect blake), T4 Aldon + kris. This racks up 18 damage by turn 4, if none of your allies die. Cleaning up with DD is no big deal. Or use T4 LS if they cast an ally, which still leaves them with 13 damage after turn 4.

Portal is most effectively played on turn 6, with a puwen. Play Nish's ability T6, or T7 before you lay down your blast of allies, meaning you not only do a lot of damage, but they have no allies around on their turn to attack your damage tank. A turn 7 blake+blake+aldon ensure 11 damage to hero, 14 if puwen survived. They are forced to attack your allies on their next turn, which means you are fully in control of the game.

A win against Gwen is hard, since SS rapes your allies, even with portal. Blakes split even with Gwen, as they do as much damage as she heals. The only way to beat Gwen- early game rush, doing about 10 damage before BB or your ability wipes your allies. After that point save every DD spell you got, and hit Gwen. Cast Snow Sapphire first opportunity, and make sure you always retain board control. You want gwen to freeze as many times as possible on SS, not her allies. ONLY use a late game portal if you can finish her with the ally damage. Try to keep your card draw to a minimum. A difficult win, and requires good draw, but possible.
    Last edited by kamman13; 10-05-2011 at 09:06 PM.

My thoughts and ramblings:
    The art of death racing
    Hitting em with all you got
    In defense of bazaar
    Card draw engines and card draw advantage
    Damage Strategies in SE

A1's resident Mathemalogian
    A1 : Evolution in Theory.
    Member of the PFG, and guest article writer for GDC's website

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Wanna prove it against my Nishaven's Terminal Frost?
    The Selection Gods (Remember!) want you to their Guild:
    TLOTpSGR and ELEMENTALS -- Join Today
    PabloMag's 1.28 Decks

In ShadowEra Hall of Fame
    Add me on Google+
    Add me on Facebook

PabloMag, "The Saint Prophet"
    Supreme Emperor of Shadow Era