Close

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Current (1.27) Successful Deck Archetypes Discussion Thread

This is a thread to discuss the current (as of 1.27) most successful deck archetypes in the current meta and their interactions with each other. This is not a thread to post finished builds (though you are welcome to do so if it helps explain a certain archetype better), but more on strategic dicussions on certain deck types.

I'll start with the 2 current archetypes I've been employing with success (at ~245).

The first and my favorite one is the new Speedy Amber. It's very weapon light, so it might as well be Boris (and with the change coming to his ability it just might), since it only runs 4 JD. However the extra damage you get from those JD is IMO much better than killing a >5cc ally every 4 turns. It runs War Banners and a lone King's Pride. 4x Krys, since it's probably the center of the deck. A buffed Krys is game changing and transforms KP from a win more card into a turn it around card. It also uses the new and improved Crippling Blow and Retreat. The win condition against decks without mass removal is usually a buffed Sandworm, which is very hard to deal with.

Meta: It does well against pretty much everything, even Jericho, since it also runs Bad Santa as backup. To keep it versatile though card count is higher than 30, closer to 40, at least in my build. It might very well be the best 40 card deck though (even though I have no solid evidence to back up such a claim, just my gut instinct). However it loses to the well built weenie rush deck (fortunately there are no many of those in the wild), which leads us to...

The Well Built Weenie Deck: Let's face it, when we saw the upcoming 1.27 cards we all thought a Zaladar weenie deck would be unstopable. It turns out it didn't quite work out. Why you ask, it quickly runs out of cards and if you lose board control you can never recover it. Thus enter the well built version:

Instead of Zaladar, Lance or even Boris, it works with the most reliable drawing engine in the game: Majiya. Even though Blood Frenzy is way better as a draw engine a weenie deck is all about tempo. Wasting all of T2 casting your drawing engine when you could cast 2 allies instead is too much of a consesion. Plus the fact that even with 4 copies in a 30 card deck you still have less than 70% chance of getting it at T2 when going first. Which means that in 3 out of 10 games you'll be suffering from empty hand sindrome, which is not reliable enough for my taste. Majiya works everytime and given the speed of the deck even going second is fine. The extra card and SE are actually pretty good and your opponent is likely running a much slower deck anyway. Plus even after you lose board control you can finish off the game via direct damage. You just need to do enough damage on those first few turns.

What's in it: It uses Snakes, Steeds, Flayers. I haven't quite decided if Gargoyles are playable as I'm just testing it out, but so far they get sacked. 4x Fireball and 4x LS obviously and the fireballs go to the hero way more often in this build. Also plenty of Novas and Bloodlust. Bloodlust in particular works really well with the snakes and steeds. Most other weenie decks carry a few fatties, but so far I've found no need here. That's what DD is for. A few novas and fireballs to finish up the opposing hero after he wastes his resources killing your wennies. I see no need for Portal. Keep it strictly at 30 cards.

Meta: It's very strong in the 30 card environment, obviously it won't do as well at 40. Since I've just started testing it out I'm not quite sure of its weaknesses so I'm looking forward to your impressions.

A few other notable archetypes that still work are slightly faster Gwen, that uses Krys, which is still powerful and maybe Banebow with Shadow Knight though it's certainly not T1 (I think both of the above decks handily beat him, at least I'm sure Amber does). I don't think regular 1.26 Majiya works anymore, it's just too slow. When 1.27 began I saw a lot of lone Moonstalkers, you don't see it anymore because it doesn't work.

I'm looking forward to hear other successful archetypes in this meta that I don't have that much experience with (Jericho, etc.)
    Last edited by crazygambit; 09-26-2011 at 06:40 PM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by crazygambit View Post
    A few other notable archetypes that still work are slightly faster Gwen, that uses Kyle, which is still powerful
    or you meant Krys?I guess it is really powerful

Anyways,it is a good read Thanks for the ideas

EDIT:deleted some post finished builds.

I am still trying to get a Marshland semi shutdown archtype
    Last edited by Berdugo; 09-26-2011 at 05:44 PM.
    Shadow Era:

Every Turn Counts

"Being strong isn't just about having powers or moves...It is about HEART." - Roronoa Zoro, One Piece

PFG 2 Member "You idealize, we criticize."
    1st Singapore Meltdown Physical Tournament Winner

IGN: Berdugo ETC
    Profession: Alien Hunter

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Berdugo View Post
    or you meant Krys?I guess it is really powerful

Anyways,it is a good read Thanks for the ideas

EDIT:deleted some post finished builds.

I am still trying to get a Marshland semi shutdown archtype
    LOL, yes I did, I edited the post above. I've also tried a Marshland shut down deck with Amber (since she doesn't use SE) and while it mostly works, again it loses to the speed of both archetypes mentioned above.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by crazygambit View Post
    LOL, yes I did, I edited the post above. I've also tried a Marshland shut down deck with Amber (since she doesn't use SE) and while it mostly works, again it loses to the speed of both archetypes mentioned above.
    On paper, Marshland looks like THE ally for Amber (and Gwen too). However in practice it does not work out, because it is really hard to keep him alive. Imho, Raven is still the better choice because of that 1 extra health...
    proud former member of A1 Alliance
    overview of all
    my strategy articles

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by He-Man View Post
    On paper, Marshland looks like THE ally for Amber (and Gwen too). However in practice it does not work out, because it is really hard to keep him alive. Imho, Raven is still the better choice because of that 1 extra health...
    I agree, so you have to sort of build your deck around keeping him alive (Brigitte, Aeon, etc.) which is why by the time you can get the lock going the weenie deck has already killed you. Raven has 2 extra health, which makes a lot of difference.

But I'm more interested in hearing about other archetypes that DO work, I'm certain there are more than 3 strong archetypes in today's meta.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I would say Zaladar. With a basic "i just play good cards" deck.
    -brontos

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I also wouldn't forget shadow ally synergy decks combined with a board control Hero power. This is best typified by Banebow via Sisyphos' masterfully built 40c BB, but also works with Zaladar (as has been mentioned already). The slightly different but still dangerous Logan/Ter Adun (including War Banner, Valiant Defender, Warrior Training and Bloodlust, alongside Warrior staples like Enrage, CB, BF, KP and JD) are worth noting as well.

Cheers,
    -Harakhte
    Harakhte - A1's Esoteric Egyptian Enigma
    www.a1-alliance.org - "Evolution in Theory"

League Season 3 Undisputed Champion chanson311's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Check out my Logan 40. I have been having great success with it. It really has great synergy, a smooth flow and a heavy hit. Link is in my signature.
    TJ "Old-Timer"

TEAM JUGGERNAUTS

Fan of Doctor Who

Bands I like:
    Coheed and Cambria
    Pink Floyd
    Muse
    MGMT
    Electric Light Orchestra
    And many more!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    i like the topic and would like to explore it but at this point i do not think that there is one dominant archetype above all others. I am still of the belief that well balanced decks seem to do well and that heros above archetypes dictate success. I myself have experimented with several different acrhetypes and heros out of curiousity and more over out of boredom. Through experimenting i have learned how to make my main deck much better by learning weaknesses of other decks/heros.
    Personally, all of my decks dating back to 1.24 (when i started playing) have been decks aimed at winning a foot race. I do not like 30minute games and therefore created my deck accordingly. I believe that the best decks will be 30-35 cards until a new minmum is implemented. So i created a deck centered around Gwen that is a "go for the throat early" kind of deck. I believe that the best decks will have either A) a great draw engine - maji or warriors, and/or B) durability - weapon centered heros. Since Amber has both plus a great ability i think she makes the easiest hero to win with. (although i still have not even tried amber yet - i like a challenge)

But i chose gwen instead and have built a deck that i believe can contend with any deck out there (while experimienting with other heros my rating dropped from 230ish down to 175. Within 2 days of switching back to gwen i was back up above 220)
    Anyway, with that said, the best archetype for me is one that makes for a hard and fast playing style. Too many players rely on reactionary cards (like arrows, crippling blow, rabid bite, mind control, etc.) which lends itself to a more defensive type playing style. My thinking is that it is better to impose your will on an opponent and make him react rather than worrying about what he is going to do. Of course all those cards can be usefull, but they are not for me. When building a deck my main concern is taking out the hero. With gwen, the only real obstacle is ice princess (snow saphire) and that's the only real problem i have to gameplan for. With that said, i try to make a deck with the most fire power that can be used most efficiently and effectively.
    I have had some success using the same concept with maji (lots of novas and other DD cards) especially in 1.27.
    As far as weenie decks go - i enjoy using them and like the challenge. But they really are not viable. To be really successful a weenie deck needs bad santa + another draw engine (works best with zaladar + eternal renewal)
    Anyway, i look forward to heraing other thoughts as i am always looking for new playing styles. Sorry for the disertation - hope it helps someone.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by He-Man View Post
    Not sure if it was a fluke or not, but Amber with MS + Birgitte was used effectively against me once.

Edit: Now that I remember it better, the bastard cast 3 Birgittes in his first 5 turns. So, yeah, a fluke. But the whole thing CAN work when the stars align.
    Last edited by Dharvo; 09-28-2011 at 05:15 PM.
    In-game name: TJ Dharvo