Close

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

My Eladwen deck - What cards i must buy or replace?

Hey guys, im new in this game, and i following GondorianDotCom tutorial...
    but i got a lot money (i bought crystals), and i need suggestions of what cards to buy... what cards i must replace, etc

gondorian deck (i following this):

(37 cards)
    1x Eladwen

4x Jasmine Rosecult
    4x Puwen Bloodhelm
    4x Kristoffer Wyld
    3x Aldon the Brave

4x Fireball
    4x Lightning Strike
    3x Research
    2x Supernova
    3x Retreat

2x Armored Sandworm <Added by myself>
    2x Reinforced Armor (to add to armored) <Added by myself>
    1x Violet Thunderstorm <Added by myself>

i think armored and reinforced is good for late game to make a strong defense... i tryed it sometimes, and when i can put this 2 cards toguether i aways win
    so... i wanting to buy new cards to replace bad cards for new... what card i must buy, what card replace, etc?

Thanks for helping me.
    Last edited by Shuiu; 10-10-2011 at 02:45 PM.

Lead Developer / Designer Gondorian's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Hello!

You made a good choice with the Armored Sandworm.

My deck now has three of those and I dropped one Retreat, pushing it up to 35 cards.

I would not make any other changes to the deck for Quick Match, but you might want to make a 40-card version for tournaments and/or the league.

My 40-card version is different in the following ways: -4 Puwen (less chance of arriving for turn 2 and not much use late game), -1 Kris (not really the best draw late game and you will likely have more resources to spend at 40 cards), +2 Freeze (handy early or late game), +1 Retreat (so versatile), +4 Bad Santa (draw is key in 40-cards), +3 Raven (having a good 5cc card at T5 is very important).

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I would replace the Reinforces and Violet Thunderstorm with 3x Snow Sapphires and add 3x Bad Santa to go to 40 cards, from your list in the OP, as you are already at 37. Regarding Sandworm, I typically prefer Raven instead, as she has 3 attack instead of 2. I do use Sandworm in Warrior decks, as they have more +attack buffs available, as well as Warrior Training which let's you designate the Worm as a Protector, making it hard to get at your other allies even if it gets Hit with a Crippling Blow.

Cheers,
    -Harakhte
    Harakhte - A1's Esoteric Egyptian Enigma
    www.a1-alliance.org - "Evolution in Theory"

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Thanks for the list. I have been trying to make Eladwen work, but the card draw is a problem. I also started running research and bs, and it has been the best so far. I still lost a lot, though. My last build was similar to yours, but without the worms, maybe I'll try them. I don't know, Eladwen doesn't seem viable with Gwen + SS and Rapid Fire, Blood Frenzies outdrawing you + Enrage, Majiya drawing cards without paying a thing, etc etc...Still, it is an insanely fun deck.

Edit: wait, you don't run aeon?? didn't notice that. wow.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Gondorian, Aeon switching Sandworm aren't good for this 40 deck??
    thanks

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I'd drop research and run bazaar instead- that'll give you the card draw you need, and counter blood frenzy and Majiya well. Other than that, I'd go with everything Harahkte said.

Concerning Aeon vs. sandworm, I think you want a 5 cost ally rather than aeon is the issue. Either sandworm or raven should work.

My thoughts and ramblings:
    The art of death racing
    Hitting em with all you got
    In defense of bazaar
    Card draw engines and card draw advantage
    Damage Strategies in SE

A1's resident Mathemalogian
    A1 : Evolution in Theory.
    Member of the PFG, and guest article writer for GDC's website

Lead Developer / Designer Gondorian's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shuiu View Post
    Gondorian, Aeon switching Sandworm aren't good for this 40 deck??
    thanks
    For 40-card, Aeon is worthwhile. You'll be able to sac enough cards to get him out in time. You could go 2 Sandworm, 2 Raven, 2 Aeon. I will buy Aeon on my test account and try it out.

I must disagree with kamman13 on Bazaar. Research let's you buy cards just for you in the late-game and Amber/Boris/Gwen/Eladwen/Nishaven cannot destroy it. Playing Bazaar in this deck would be mad because you gain no advantage and you just help your opponent destroy you.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    For reference, visit the 'In defense of Bazaar' thread by Kamman to read just about everyone's opinions on Bazaar. They differ greatly and for many different reasons, but it really comes down to personal choice. Some, and I tend to agree with them on this, will say Bazaar counters unilateral card draw engines your opponent might use as 3:2 is better than 2:1 (BF and Maj, primarily). On the other hand, Research is more resource expensive but it favors the long game and being able to build up to where you have 2 more resources than your average per turn play's cc. It is also unilateral and you won't deck yourself with it unless you choose to do so.

Try it both ways, see which you prefer, and then make a decision. Forum advice is great, but always play-test any changes to see if they suit you, and look for performance across at least a 10 game run for each variant. (some advocate playing 5-10x that many games for tuning).

Cheers,
    -Harakhte
    Harakhte - A1's Esoteric Egyptian Enigma
    www.a1-alliance.org - "Evolution in Theory"