Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

SE has hooked me on MTG...Damn

So after playing SE for a while I really started to hunger for something a little more interactive and collectable.

My buddy who introduced me to SE happens to be a big MTG guy. So I told him the above sentence and my fate was sealed.

He built me a deck and I went to a Friday Night Magic Tournament and won some free boosters. Instantly hooked.

I have already spent more money than I wish to disclose on beefing my deck up. But I am having fun doing it and justifying it fine.

I have never played magic before until last week, but I am starting to get a grip on things. SE has influenced me alot. As I have built a blue-white control deck that reminds me of Jericho.

Anyway I just wanted to hear your thoughts on a new hobby of mine (SE is not going anywhere, I am still playing it). Any tips you care to share with a MTG new guy? Looking forward to Innistrad also.

MRxGREEN

*Hope Im not breaking some rule by talking about MTG in a decent light.
    Sorry N' Shit

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Thats funny, a lot of players I know are ex mtg who wanted to save money and get a life.

Also, nice try mtg ad agency forum troll.
    Grand Watchman of the Ancient Blue Citadel
    Warriors of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn.

Don't just witness the greatness;
    Stride with us.

To join the demonstrably greatest guild in the history of Shadow Era - click here

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Padawan Pete View Post
    Thats funny, a lot of players I know are ex mtg who wanted to save money and get a life.

Also, nice try mtg ad agency forum troll.

That is why I felt the need to make a post about it. I feel like I have gone backwards and it seemed interesting. I will hold onto my life as much as possible. It does not seem to bad now. Sundays are basically magic days or fridays when the gf is busy.

*Yes I am really a bot who impersonates a person and starts posting ads for their own company lol
    Sorry N' Shit

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Nice where do,I get one
    For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes, for the Jew first and also for the Greek.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Twitter: @N3rd4Christ | Skype: N3rd4Christ
    >>>>> My Trade Thread <<<<<

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Yes, you definitely did go backwards on this, but I guess that makes sense. Most of us here wanted a cheaper alternative, but if you'd never played TCGs before, I could see how SE would be a good starter game to whet your appetite for more.

I have a buddy who keeps trying to get me playing MTG again, so he keeps showing me new/upcoming cards, and I have to say, it looks like you picked a really good time to pick up the game. If you're building UW Control, keep an eye out for this guy, who is a blatantly insane win condition for that deck coming up.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    I would easily get hooked if I played any TCG... I really don't wanna spend the money required to stay competitive.
    For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes, for the Jew first and also for the Greek.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Twitter: @N3rd4Christ | Skype: N3rd4Christ
    >>>>> My Trade Thread <<<<<

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Sweet, another fellow Mtg-er! Yeah, you can get WAY too sucked into it, both time and money, so be wary.

A few tips:

1. You can build very powerful, fun, and great decks w/o needing to spend more than $1 on any one card -- look around.

2. Make sure you are buying cards that will work in the format you are playing in -- if something is restricted/banned by those you play with, don't go buy 4 of them.

3. If you're buying cards, check here first -- lots of retailers and a decent card search engine: allmagiccards.com

4. this site has the best card search engine I've seen: moxdiamond.com

5. ebay is your best bet for expensive cards on the cheap, don't go retail

6. Look into playing the EDH format -- very similar to how SE works and the decks are really fun and tough to construct well.
    1.25, 1.26, 1.27: 40 card decks, Big Bad Baduruu
    1.28/1.29 - best forgotten except for Elementalis Prime Grindage

1.5 - it's all good Naughty Gwenches
    -
    Players Focus Group 1, Missing In Action member of PFG 2

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I'm an ex-MTGer, I consider WoW the more fine tuned game and don't have money to play two TCGs. However, I still have a lot of love for MTG.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by NinjaDucky View Post
    Yes, you definitely did go backwards on this, but I guess that makes sense. Most of us here wanted a cheaper alternative, but if you'd never played TCGs before, I could see how SE would be a good starter game to whet your appetite for more.

I have a buddy who keeps trying to get me playing MTG again, so he keeps showing me new/upcoming cards, and I have to say, it looks like you picked a really good time to pick up the game. If you're building UW Control, keep an eye out for this guy, who is a blatantly insane win condition for that deck coming up.

Dammit site is blocked at my work. Who is it? My buddy and I have been scope-ing out the new cards to put into my deck, so I might have him on my radar already. Me and a couple friends are buying a case...
    Sorry N' Shit

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Ah, damn those site filters! I bet this works though: