Close

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Pzychotix View Post
    It provides a terrible introduction experience and leaves people wondering why this game is so bad when they never got a fair shot at the game.
    Thanks for saying it more tastefully than myself.
    Can't wait to see what Rogues introduce to the action...
    Quote Originally Posted by AnAdolt View Post
    tastefully--you can see a mirroring of this in the back and forths by Creepshow and friends

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Pzychotix View Post
    As much as you guys would like to continue bickering, Creepshow does have some valid points outside of gameplay balance. The current gameplay balance is decent enough without being a major con to the game, and any CCG in its early days is going to have some rough patches, since no one knows the massive potential that a card could bring, especially the devs. Therefore, bickering that the game is bad because the gameplay balance is bad isn't especially useful when the devs are actively patching and balancing the game. It's still not completely bad anyways; I play a Boris deck and do quite well in PvP, winning against Eladwen (ELADWENNNNN!!!) decks a good deal of the time, and I only started a couple days ago, so my deck has plenty of cards to improve upon.

However, there is a major key point that should be addressed:
    Useless cards being released. At best, they give us insight on what future mechanics we can look forward to, but at worst, they take up useless space in our decks. I chose Amber Rain (Ability: Can wield up to two weapons) as my starter decks; her ability is useless until weapons are released for human warriors. My deck came with things such as Shield Bash (Requires a shield to do 3 damage) and Smashing Blow (Destroy target weapon/armor). With this fluff taking up my deck space, I had trouble even killing the basic AI!

If they're going to release expansions, they should be doing it all at once. Or, at the very least, if they're going to release mini-expansions within the expansion (i.e. gradual release), make sure that the cards they're releasing aren't useless. Cards that cannot be used at all whatsoever should not enter the card pool.

It's especially worse when people choose heros that are flat out not finished yet (i.e. Hunter Heros are in a terrible situation at the moment). It provides a terrible introduction experience and leaves people wondering why this game is so bad when they never got a fair shot at the game.
    think i'll just give up trying to explain it

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Pzychotix makes some very valid complaints (like Amber Rain comment). Critical and constructive, and I agree with most of the post.

Sometimes it's about how you say it as well as what you say. Thanks for showing that Pzycho.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by arebelspy View Post
    Pzychotix makes some very valid complaints (like Amber Rain comment). Critical and constructive, and I agree with most of the post.

Sometimes it's about how you say it as well as what you say. Thanks for showing that Pzycho.
    im not saying that he dosent have valid points but everything that is being complained about has been explained and if you dont like the starting hero you choose then reset your account?

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    im not saying that he dosent have valid points but everything that is being complained about has been explained and if you dont like the starting hero you choose then reset your account?
    It's not enough that there's a workaround to it.

I'm looking at this from a developer standpoint (though I am not a dev for this game, I am in a related industry). It's a valid criticism that allowing newbies to choose really bad decks is a bad idea. If there is an ability to reset your account, then cool. But I don't know where it is, and newbies won't either. I mean, tapping that thing at the top took me long enough to discover; how long do you think would it take for a newbie to discover that menu, discover some sub menu option that doesn't seem to be available to me as an iPad player, and then bother with resetting your account to start all over again?

Longer than most newbies will care to stay around for.

You, as an experience player, don't care about the intro experience since you're already past that and it doesn't matter to you. But stuff like this is deadly for the devs of a recently released game that needs to hit a critical mass of players to take off. It's not enough that there are explanations for why something is bad. Newbies don't care about explanations and will just ditch it for being bad.

I know that the weapons/shield cards are being released next week or whenever, but releasing useless cards is a decision they could possibly make again and again as new expansions come out (or even as they continue to flesh out their initial release), so better to nip this issue in the bud so that they never do it again.
    Last edited by Pzychotix; 02-27-2011 at 10:49 PM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    My two cents-

I think the game is fine as it is. It's free. Yes, there are flaws- there always are in a game like this. These kinds of games are always evolving as well. There will be cards released to balance and rebalance gameplay throughout it's lifetime. I for one am glad it's out now as it's still enjoyable (to me) and I'm having fun with it. Then again, I don't take this kind of thing real seriously; it's just fun and a diversion to me.

One thing- I wish there could be source code samples available from the game as I'm very interested in how it works!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

Agreed. Taking care in writing your post goes a long way to how it is received, regardless if people agree or not.
    My music.
    Cthulhu fhtagn...

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Wow, did I just read through this whole thread? My brain hurts...
    But I'll keep it short and just say that I'm aware of the less than ideal experience for new players, and the next update goes a long way to address that. The iPhone launch of Shadow Era absolutely was a success and it will only get better over time. Of course it is not perfect, we follow a release early, release often policy that works extremely well when you listen to your fanbase.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Isn't the app free?
    Yes and no. To try the game out it IS free, but to actually make a competitive deck is not. Personally, I was disappointed to spend real money on starter decks and booster packs only to figure out after the fact that there are only two rare cards available at the moment and some heroes are not feasible for play. Part of beta testing should be for players to test all combinations of cards and that is not possible to do for free. So yes, why it may be free to try the game out, it's not free to be a productive beta tester.

I think it would have been more sensible for all cards to initially be free in unlimited quantities during beta testing, and then after the game is relatively balanced (which I would say it is not in it's current state), wipe everyone's cards and make it the way it is right now. Free starter deck, additional cards cost money.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    The way CCGs work is a continual release of new card (expansions). Magic the Gathering has been going for something like 16 years now with constantly available new cards. Saying a ccg shouldn't release without all available cards is saying it shouldn't release at all (or until it's dead, with every available card, thousands of them).
    Yeah but Magic was released as a set, not a partial set. They didn't initially release the game with green and white in an unplayable state, and they never release cards with abilities that will only be useful down the road when future cards are released...