Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Gravebone - Late Game Bumrush

I've put together a 33 card Gravebone deck that's been extremely fun to play, and is dangerously strong late game.

Basic strategy is that the deck consists of bigger allies to start rushing the board late game, and has DD cards to control the board while you build resources. Gargoyles are used as an earlier ally that's hard to kill so it distracts while you keep building resources. Gargs also act as resource filler later in the game.

You should pretty much never have allies in your graveyard between Gravebone natural and Shadow Knight. Your draw is also fairly strong with Research in play and Bellas in the deck to pump cards, plus Grave's natural and Shadow Knight constantly returning your friends. All the extra researches are resource fodder unless you suspect it will get priest'd or shrieked.

Typical game for me involves getting beat up at the start, and then just completely wrecking end game.

1 x Gravebone
    4 x Infernal Gargoyle (earliest creature, more to hopefully get them sooner to distract)
    3 x Plasma Behemoth (always amazing if they survive the exhaustion phase, or late late game can be brought in to insta-nuke)
    3 x Belladonna (hard hitting, card drawing, not caring if she gets killed)
    3 x Shadow Knight (great way to necro all your dead friends and hits like a truck)
    4 x Fireball (board control first, hero DD if you're already dominating)
    4 x Lightning Strike (board control card)
    4 x Research (early turn card, end game resource dump for more cards, sac for easy resources once already in play)
    2 x Portal (bring out the big guns and start unloading)
    3 x Shriek (always handy)
    2 x Snow Sapphire (has saved my life against Gwen, easy sac in most other cases)

Have been having great success with this deck so far. Haven't had as much time with it as I'd like to definitively say it's amazing, but I can easily say it's been incredibly fun.

Wanted to spread a little Gravebone love and get some feedback on potential enhancements.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Looks like a decent build. Falls south to high early damage decks though. I want to suggest another portal, yes with only 33 cards you should have one late game, but a shriek ends your game if you don't have the other to hand. Maybe -1 research +1 portal... or possibly just add a portal and take 34 cards.

Other than that it seems pretty solid.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I lost to such a deck today. His 3th portal close the deal
    iClipse - A1's Twilight Manipulator - A1 : Evolution in Theory
    Part of PFG

• My psychiatrist told me I was crazy and I said I want a second opinion. He said okay, you're ugly too.

• Just remember...if the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off.

• With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.

• I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not sure.

• A diplomat is someone who can tell you to go to hell in such a way that you will look forward to the trip.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I'm not sure if I'd want to get rid of a 4th research to fit a 3rd portal, but I am convinced that having another portal would be good. Would need to playtest it a bit and see if it messes with the flow by having a 34 card deck vs. 33. Probably not.

Agreed that the late game portal is pretty crucial to lay the smack down, so making sure you've got one when you need it is important.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Honestly I would go -2 Research +2 Portal. Portal is far more critical, and you don't need the Research on the table until late game when you have the resources to spare anyhow. But at the VERY least, Matt's -1 Research +1 Portal suggestion is all upside for this deck.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    The main reason I'm hesitating to remove any Research is that:

A) I want to try and get one out early when I don't have anything else to play (I have no cards to play that are less than 3 resources besides Research, so it's not a wasted turn/card).

B) They are good for free resources late game when I need to focus on casting/rotating allies. I need a constant resource stream so I can minimally get out a pair of Bellas during a Portal to turn the tide.

I'll test it, but at least from what I've played so far it has always been a relief to get another Research despite having one already in play so I can sac it without having to give up allies/DD in my hand.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I disagree 2 portal 4 research is fine. When you play portal it can get shrieked so you want to portal + creature same turn. Late game this is fine.
    Grand Watchman of the Ancient Blue Citadel
    Warriors of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn.

Don't just witness the greatness;
    Stride with us.

To join the demonstrably greatest guild in the history of Shadow Era - click here

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    How do you fare against quick allies?

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by ertai88 View Post
    How do you fare against quick allies?
    This deck is weak during the first four turns, no question. I've gotten hit down to 10 health before I was able to start doing anything really productive on offense. The good news is that the moment the deck starts pumping, it's pretty much game over from what I've seen. The DD cards in the deck should be used first and foremost to control the board...or rather...keep the board from getting out of control before you start showing up with the big guns.

This is also why I want Gargoyles on the board as quickly as I can. They are annoying to kill and relatively cheap and easy to recast if they die. Keeps the opponent worried about the Gargoyle scratching up their weaker allies.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Do you mind listing the best build up for your deck from Turn 1-6? Going first and second. I believe this can open up more discussion. Thanks