Close

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

Priest Tactics Forum

I have noticed that an increasing amount of players are looking to construct Jericho Priest decks, but are struggling mightily with the strategy, and the outright deck building. I am by no means an expert, but I pose this to all who can find some use out of it, here is a single-thread-forum for you to post your questions, and look for strategy help. I will answer as much as I can, and I am sure that others will chime in to answer your questions.

As for my pedigree, I have been using priest for a little while, and have my own personal Jericho deck that wins 5 out of every 6 games that i have played. I have used it to much success on the live server, Gondorian's Ladder (40 card version), and Gondorian's League (RED league for those of you who are interested). I built it from the ground up. I started like most of you with next to no knowledge of the Priest class, or how to use them. I actually lost a lot at first, but it helped me learn what I was doing wrong, and what the strengths are. Over time, I experimented (see the sig), and settled on the build that I currently use, and the understanding that I have now. After much time, I did the same with Zhanna, but had to settle on a 3~4:1 win ratio.

P.S. - This thread is not only for Jericho, but Zhanna as well, but I have just not noticed that many people inquiring about help with using her.

That being said, ask away!
    soothslyr
    Last edited by soothslyr; 09-22-2011 at 12:06 PM.
    Accolades:
    Former Member of The A1 Alliance "Evolution In Theory"
    Season 4 Hall of Fame Top Ranking - Ranked #14 soothslyr1
    Gondoriandotcom Flash Tournament - Winner (Over Portgaz D Ace) Team Juggernaut
    Bluejet24 Crown Tournament - Winner (Over Crispy1313)
    Hatts Pop up Tournament - Winner (Jjsia) A1 Member

Contributions To The Community:
    Priest Tactics Forum
    Ways To Play
    Advanced Strategies [Part: 1]
    Advanced Strategies [Parts: 2 & 3]

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by soothslyr View Post
    the trick to having a successful Jericho deck is to understand how his play style works. Jericho is a slow starting hero. if you are going to win matches with him, then you will have to work with this, and find strategies that work for you around it.

jericho can not rush you, and push you out of the game early. the trick is to hold serve (tennis term), until you can get enough resources to do what you please. his native ability dictates this, as it does not help him win directly, it just slows down or changes how your opponents play. all of this being said, here's some tips in building a competitive Jericho deck.

1. retreat, retreat, retreat! it cannot be overstated how useful this card is to your strategy. it will help you slow down your opponent, and not let them overrun you early. it can also be used to help you late as well. have 3~4 in any jericho deck without hesitation, 30 or 40 card format.

2. tidal wave will save your life. i personally have never found a situation where i did not need less than 3 in a deck. i personally advocate having 4 but i suppose that it depends on your style of play. if you are going to have ice storms, then 3 is a good number, but never forget that it will save your life to be able to wipe their board. it is best played when they have few or no cards in their hand. it gives you almost complete control for the next turn or 2. what you do with it is up to you.

3. fat is good. unless you are using plague (which requires a completely different strategy altogether), then there is no reason not to have some assortment of heavier allies. raven, aeon and now sandworm are your friends. they provide you with something to be feared in the mid to late game timeline. as i said earlier, jericho is a slow starter, but when he hits his stride, there's no stopping him lol. having stronger allies at the mid point will help you after you clear the opponents board, or help you get it back. most decks rely on infernal gargoyle, jasmine, or some other assortment of 3cc allies to get a foothold and ultimately win the game for them. most of your big guys take them out in one swing. they have no retort for it.

4. heed your skills. i have read a lot of debate in this thread of how useful healing touch, or smite, or holy shield are. heed your native abilities as a priest. they are in your toolbelt for a reason. since the nerf to protector, aeon can no longer protect jericho himself. that is why the inclusion of some sort of support is crucial. there will be just too many times where you take damage early, and have trouble getting the board, but when you finally do, you're too low on health to have the one or two turns it would take to win the game. that is where healing touch, or holy shield come in. they are the replacement for the augmented protector mechanic. as for smite, i personally do not find that i need it much, but that does not mean that it is not useful. there are going to be entirely too many times where you will need either some direct damage on a hero, or need a pesky ally off of the board. that is where smite comes in handy. it is one of the cheapest for it's power in the game, and is very versatile. i recommend testing to see if it helps you or not, but do not ignore or discount. By the way, the same goes for playing curse as well

5. keep your friends close, keep your enemies closer. know the matchups that you're going to encounter. jericho is a strong hero for a reason. he shuts down boris' and ambers' native draw engine without a second thought, but does not win against anyone without trying. you need to know that including cards like king's pride are going to not quite guarantee victories against some heroes, but will definately help your chances. example, gwen has no item destruction, so if you can survive the first 5 turns, and not lose the board entirely, then by the time turn 7 comes, you can drop a king's pride, and shut her down altogether. the same applies for boris and amber, jerichos' best matchups. as for the rest of the matchups, it's all about playing to your strengths and knowing your deck. the same with any deck.

P.S. - i am basing this off of my personal experience. i have not been running priests for too long, but have worked hard to understand them, and how you win with them. i personally have a jericho deck that wins 5 out of every 6 matches, if it helps my credibility any. i'll post it if you all like
    hopefully this will get things off to a swinging start lol

Edit: seeing as i have gotten too many requests for me to count, for me to post my jericho build, here goes.

Jericho

4 - puwen
    2 - blake
    3 - aldon
    3 - jasmine
    3 - raven
    3 - aeon

2 - bad santa
    2 - healing touch
    4 - tidal wave
    3 - retreat
    4 - destroy arms

4 - wizent's staff
    2 - kings pride

i would post a bunch of stuff about why my choices are what they are, but i do not want to clutter up the first page of the thread.
    Last edited by soothslyr; 09-22-2011 at 12:08 PM.
    Accolades:

Priest Tactics Forum
    Ways To Play

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Hell no, I'm keeping my theories about priests and their builds to A1 forums dammit
    Signature for rent.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GS693 View Post
    Hell no, I'm keeping my theories about priests and their builds to A1 forums dammit
    no soup for you. next.
    Accolades:

Priest Tactics Forum
    Ways To Play

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by soothslyr View Post
    no soup for you. next.
    Screw soup. I like mah steaks... Doggie steaks!

No cookies for YOU!
    Signature for rent.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    This thread is going to rock! I have played the AI and PVP up to level 6. I just bought crystals and beefed up my Jericho Deck for first time. I have played only with him. I took advice from these threads and my own taste/experience. I am grabbing a beer and giving it a few test runs. I will post my thoughts later...

P.S. I have been wondering this for a while. I know about A1 and who they are, but what the hell is with "Kyle nerfed us"? What did he do to you/them?

Senior Member Pretty Pretty Princess's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MRxGREEN View Post
    P.S. I have been wondering this for a while. I know about A1 and who they are, but what the hell is with "Kyle nerfed us"? What did he do to you/them?
    PM Padawan Pete, I'm sure he can explain

As for priest inquiries, let's not clutter the thread too much with jibber-jabber and let people post *actual* questions.
    ~PrettyPrettyPrincess~
    v^.^
    Current deck build: Pending Release of Dark Prophecies...

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    We grouped up together and brought down the Evil God known as Kyle
    Signature for rent.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    [/QUOTE] As for priest inquiries, let's not clutter the thread too much with jibber-jabber and let people post *actual* questions.[/QUOTE]

Yes let's get back to soup and steak inquiries....

1.27 Tournament Champion Raphael Majere's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GS693 View Post
    I also recently managed to get my Jericho working. It's not easy. Also took me a lot of losses to start winning.

If we start discussing Jericho here, many people might think we are talking gibberish. Playing with Jericho require immaculate timing and acute sense of card sac-ing.

But I admire your courage and willingness to help, so I encourage everyone to come and pick soothslyr's brain and try to get your Jeri deck working.