Close

View Poll Results: Was this thread helpful?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes Very helpful

1 6.67%
  • Mostly helpful

5 33.33%
  • Kinda Helpful

2 13.33%
  • Helpful

3 20.00%
  • Not really helpful

4 26.67%
  • Waste of my time

1 6.67%
  • Why am I doing this?

1 6.67%
  • I didn't read anything on this thread

1 6.67%
  • I want to go home now

1 6.67%
  • ..... STUPID!!!!........

1 6.67%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Things I have learned

I hope that this help any new players to build their strategies while building their decks/playing. If anyone has any additions or changes to this post, please feel free to comment as I am also a new player.

1)If at all possible have something in your deck to destroy items (ie weapons/armor/bazaar or any draw cards items) and if you can help it NEVER sack them!

2) Take your time deciding what you are going to sack/play with in the first 3 or 4 turns, but don't be afraid to change your plans depending on what cards your appoint casts. If you have a general plan of attack, you are better off then a player who makes decisions 'on the fly'.

3) Beware of sparks! They are a 1/1 but that increases with every spark that the user casts. Also if they are played with Shard of Power, Life Infusion and Blood Lust and all 4 sparks, that can turn them from a 4/4 creature to a 9/6 creature! If possible take care of the sparks before they become a huge problem! Also be careful of Fire Snakes, although they can't get as powerful as the sparks, if they are played with the same cards, they can be a problem.

HOW TO TAKE CARE OF THEM

1) Send them to the Graveyard ASAP!
    2) Because Shard of Power is an item, it can be destroyed with Shrek or Priest ability Destroy Item. I
    didn't say destroy Bloodlust as it only lasts until the start of that players next turn, so unless by
    accident they played it at the end of their turn, the damage has already been done.

4) Watch out for Aldon the Brave combinations early in the game, as they can give your opponent the advantage for setting up their allies to be very powerful later on in the game.

5) When deciding on what cards to put into your deck, you need to decide weather your deck will be a burn deck (mainly spells), Control deck (mainly allies to control the board), or a combination of the two. Personally I like to use control decks. I like to take control of the board and keep it through out the game.

6) Also when building your deck, keep in mind possible cards to 'sack' (turn into resources). Having cards in your deck that you are ok with discarding will help you develop a plan of attack.

7) Generally when building your deck, you are going to want to keep your card count as low as possible. I like to keep my card count between 30 - 40 cards. Doing this means that the chances of you getting cards that you need are going to be greater then if you had a bigger deck. Yes its true with a bigger deck you will have more options and possibilities, but remember this, unless other cards like Bad Santa, Draw Card, Bazaar ect are played, you only get one card a turn, which is why its a good idea to keep your card count as low as possible to be able to do what you want to do.

I will post more as I go along... also I will check this forum frequently as I am a firm believer that we can all learn together, and make this game as fun as possible for everyone.

P.S. Please keep all of your games friendly. Although I do think its funny when I am beating the crap out of someone and they start talking crap, you don't have to do so, just quit, you know that your going to lose, there's no point in being ignorant!

1.27 Tournament Champion Raphael Majere's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Part 1

1) It depends. If my opening hand has 4 shrieks, I will sac one or 2 of them.

2) I am sure no one makes "decisions on the fly". Maybe only super noobs.

3) I actually don't care too much about sparks. Even the best players will fall prey to an opponent who has 4 sparks in their opening hand.

Part 2

2) Good players (1.26) will not use Shard. I love it when Shard comes out on my opponent's side. Turns their PB into a patsy 6/1. One prick and it dies. Priceless.

4) This is good advice. The ones to watch for: Puwen/Aldon = kills Puwen. Blake/Aldon kills all 3cc allies. (except Garg)

6) Ok, this is bad advice. When I build my decks, I want EVERY card to be useful. If you are running into dilemmas on what to sac in the game, that's a GOOD thing. That means you have cards that are useful (for now or immediate future).

7) Makes sense.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Raphael is right

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Thank you, as I said I'm relativity new to the game as well, and to be honest didn't know about the forums as I started playing on my iPhone. Actually the first time I was on the forums I found your "Mega Rush" deck, and use it quite often. So your input to me is very valuable. So I say again thank you so much

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    I just wanted to set things right.

Since your purpose is good and noble, to help new players with their deck building/playing, then any right advice should be reinforced and any wrong tips weeded out.

It saves a lot of time for new players trying out.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    A good foundation after raph's tips.

Believe it or not I make my decisions on the fly, but I have a general idea of what I want to accomplish it. After a draw I then decide "hey this is how I can do it"

That being said, look at all your options. Stay aware of what's in play, been in play, and could fit the theme of the opp. your playing - thus COME into play.

Be loose, you have to play flexible. You can't set your moves in stone - else your opp. will bait you out and make you overextend your position on cards. If you don't need to make a play, an it doesn't set anything else up.. Hold your cards. It's nice to pay alot of resources to put a nice armor/weapon/Beefy-ally down. It honestly doesn't cost that much to ruin it though. So just be smart - you learn with experience. Trust me

You WILL learn the combos, just keep trying. That's what it all comes down too. Are YOU determined enough to pick up a loss game and learn from it? experience has too be earned.

Finally, remember it's more than a straight-forward game. You can mess around with your opp. Make him over analyze. Force him to OVER extend to take board control. Then play your low cost (ex:retreat, smashing grounds, CB, Tidal wave, etc etc) and force your position.

Got into a bit of a rant there. To sum it all up. Experience. You'll learn if you keep trying

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I agree with Raphael Majere's comments.
    Also, to help newbies finding your story, it would be smart to rename it--give it a title that better explains what you describe, e.g. "playing and deck-building tips for ultra-fresh new players"
    proud former member of A1 Alliance
    overview of all
    my strategy articles

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    I recommend all new players to read He-Man's articles as listed in his Signature.

They are good, plus you do not want offend the Most Powerful Man in the Universe.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Raphael Majere View Post
    I recommend all new players to read He-Man's articles as listed in his Signature.

They are good, plus you do not want offend the Most Powerful Man in the Universe.
    Very true! (about the offending at least )
    And thanks for the kind words!
    proud former member of A1 Alliance
    overview of all
    my strategy articles

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Thank you all for your replies and suggestions, the next time I start a thread I'll spend more time thinking about a title, also I might wait until I have a little more xp before I try and offer advice. Once again thanks