Close

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

SE strategy--Who's The Beatdown?

Introduction
    Back in the olden days of MtG, famous Mike Flores once wrote an important strategy piece called Who’s The Beatdown?. The gist of it is, that it is crucial for the outcome of your game to correctly determine who plays the fast, aggressive role (the beatdown; in SE more often called the aggro), and who plays the defensive role. I believe that this concept also applies to SE. If you have all the basic strategies down and feel you are ready for the next level, this may be a nice piece to have a look at.

At the moment, it is often straightforward who is the beatdown, as some deck archetypes are aggressive in nature, whereas others are slower and more controlling or defensive. There are however situations where it is not so easy, for instance in a mirror match. When the number of cards will increase in the future, this will likely become more of an issue.

So, who is the beatdown?
    The beatdown is the person controlling the deck that will be in the offensive mode. Usually the quickest deck of the two involved. Warrior decks are a straight forward example of beatdown decks. They have a lot of low-cost allies, and a quick curve--they have what I call “resource acceleration” in the form of Jeweler’s Dream, which lets them spend 2 additional resources, hence making it possible to play more cards early on. Besides the obvious strategic points mentioned in many other threads, it is good to keep in mind then, that when you run into e.g. a warrior deck (and playing something different yourself), you have to be prepared to be in defensive mode. Knowing this will affect your choices for what cards to sacrifice, and when (and in what order) to play other cards.

There are two especially tricky scenarios: the mirror match, and a match where two different beatdown decks meet. What to do in these situations? The trick here is to have good knowledge of the metagame. If you are running a warrior deck, but you have a relatively large number of high-cost allies, chances are the other person will have the quicker deck--i.e. a casting cost curve with more cards at the lower spectrum. In this case, your opponent is the beatdown. In SE, the impact of going first or second is also enormous. So, if you are playing a fast deck, and your opponent might have the same, whoever goes first is generally the beatdown. When, say, Amber meets Gwen, you have two relatively fast and aggressive decks. Often though, in the current metagame, Amber will rely a bit more on, often low-cost, allies, whereas the Gwen deck really evolves around the bows. Thus, generally, I would say in Amber vs Gwen, Amber is the beatdown.

The above may not sound very straight forward, perhaps somewhat vague even, but if you have some experience under your belt, you will know what I am talking about. Often this is really circumstantial, and I cannot give a definitive list of who is the beatdown in what match up, so you will have to rely on your own good judgment.

To conclude
    When you start a match, have a look at the hero the opponent is playing, their deck size, and, as long as there is no mulligan rule in SE, you also want to consider your own opening hand in the equation, as well as whether you are going first or second. Decide who is the beatdown, him or you. If you are the beatdown, you will have to be come of the gates quickly, and give it your all early on. If you are the one playing the defensive role, you have to manage to live through the first couple of turns, and make your move later in the game. Knowing who is the beatdown, will affect the choices you make in e.g. what cards to sacrifice. If you are the beatdown, you want to hold on to your allies and get rid of removal cards; if you are in the defensive role, you may want to keep that Retreat! in lieu of a Blake...

Hope this has been insightful, please leave comments and ask questions if you have any!
    This and other articles can also be found on Gondorian.com.
    Last edited by He-Man; 09-22-2011 at 01:20 PM.
    proud former member of A1 Alliance
    overview of all
    my strategy articles

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Good thread.
    "Rastas don't believe in violence... Rastas don't believe... Rastas know." -Bob Marley-

Winner of the Multi-Post Streak Challenge
    *’”⁷ᵔᵕᵔ∞*°゜゚⁰ᵒ☉●•⋆.ᵢᵢᵢ₇.。・°'¨⋋ⓚⓔⓝⓣⓤⓔⓠⓤⓘ⋌¨'°・。.₇₇₇.⋆•●☉ᵒ⁰゜゚°*∞ᵔᵕᵔ⁷‘“*
    ⊰☠ ℑcℯ ℰℒℱ ☠⊱

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Insightful. Thank you for sharing this.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    The key thing I think one needs to differentiate between who's the beatdown and who's the control is: does a longer game favor me, or him?

This will help dictate if you are the beatdown and what you have to do to win. Do you attack allies or go after heroes, etc.

If you have card draw and they don't, likely they are the beatdown, and if they take too long trying to establish control, you win the long game.

It's also useful to note what style your deck usually is, and what style you are better at, and play to your strengths.

EDIT: In SE terms I'd call the beatdown the aggro, as in "Who's the aggro"

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Another variable in determining who's beatdown and who isn't will be your hero. Can you really do beatdown with an ally-less Nish deck? Maybe, but I usually take the defender position here and start the beatdown later. (Of course I could also take allies with me, but assuming I didn't...)

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sildani View Post
    Another variable in determining who's beatdown and who isn't will be your hero. Can you really do beatdown with an ally-less Nish deck? Maybe, but I usually take the defender position here and start the beatdown later. (Of course I could also take allies with me, but assuming I didn't...)
    naturally. did you read the article?

that's basically assumed, but the point of the article is even if your deck is normally the beatdown (the aggro), in other matchups it might not be. even if you're normally control based on your hero and deck (what you point out), you might not be (what the article points out).

it's being flexible in those situations that help differentiate the mid to top level players

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by arebelspy View Post
    ... the point of the article is even if your deck is normally the beatdown (the aggro), in other matchups it might not be. even if you're normally control based on your hero and deck (what you point out), you might not be (what the article points out).

it's being flexible in those situations that help differentiate the mid to top level players
    Exactly the point I am trying to make!
    overview of all
    my strategy articles

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    As a little add-on to the OP, it is important for players to realize that this is a question of deck construction, and not simply which hero you are playing. While I know the OP is talking about that, it could be missed by the new players it's intended for. Whether you are the Control or the Beatdown is not a question of "Amber vs Gwen" but rather "[My pile of cards] vs [Your pile of cards]" and correctly assessing this is often the most critical factor in determining who wins a mirror match.

Also, do we have posts around here explaining inevitability and tempo? If so, we should probably aggregate those posts and this one into a single sticky thread called "TCG Basics" or "Shadow Era Academy" or some such thing.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    'And it all becomes clear..'

I have been thinking about putting a thread together discussing deck building, and the 'golden ratio'
    meaning, most decks need some type of 'overall ratio' between offensive/defensive or ally/ally-removal
    this correllates with what i have been thinking, meaning, if you have a 'beatdown deck' but find yourself in the defensive role, you need a way out,

eg: 1/3 of my cards will kill/maime an ally..
    1/3 of my cards are allies
    1/3 are misc.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by NinjaDucky View Post
    As a little add-on to the OP, it is important for players to realize that this is a question of deck construction, and not simply which hero you are playing. While I know the OP is talking about that, it could be missed by the new players it's intended for. Whether you are the Control or the Beatdown is not a question of "Amber vs Gwen" but rather "[My pile of cards] vs [Your pile of cards]" and correctly assessing this is often the most critical factor in determining who wins a mirror match.
    Yes!

Quote Originally Posted by NinjaDucky View Post
    Also, do we have posts around here explaining inevitability and tempo? If so, we should probably aggregate those posts and this one into a single sticky thread called "TCG Basics" or "Shadow Era Academy" or some such thing.
    The beginner's strategy article linked to in my sig explains tempo.
    Can you explain what you mean with inevitability?
    overview of all
    my strategy articles