Close

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    So it doesn't matter how fast I drain my batterie as long as i go not beyond the point of no return (meaning completely discharged?).
    I handle it that way:
    I use my ipad till I reach the 10%-5% mark. Then I recharge it to 100%. No prob.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by danae View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium-ion_battery
    http://www.techatplay.com/?p=61
    http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news/...on-battery.ars

Draining the charge of a battery completely before recharging was for old battery technology. It was for those batteries that suffered from memory effect. Lithium-ion batteries doesn't suffer from that and discharging it completely might just cause it to fall into deep discharge state and fail to recharge far faster than you recharge from partial usage.
    This is different from what I was calling into question which was "it is not advisable to let your battery drain as it might decrease overall battery life".

I feel this is what is false. I said nothing about the memory effect at all. Also batteries today have tech built in to stop them draining completely. Ie when the battery reports 0% it is not truly depleted.

I did concede that storing a depleted battery for a long time was not advised. This we all agree on.

TLDR : Lithium based batteries are designed to be charged then discharged. There is nothing magical you can do to them these days to make them last longer. Older technologies are different but fall outside the scope of discussion.

Li-ion batteries are slowly being replaced by Li-poly batteries anyway as they are lighter and last longer, so read up yourself on these 2 types of batteries and make your own decision.
    Grand Watchman of the Ancient Blue Citadel
    Warriors of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn.

Don't just witness the greatness;
    Stride with us.

To join the demonstrably greatest guild in the history of Shadow Era - click here

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Padawan Pete View Post
    This is different from what I was calling into question which was "it is not advisable to let your battery drain as it might decrease overall battery life".

I feel this is what is false. I said nothing about the memory effect at all. Also batteries today have tech built in to stop them draining completely. Ie when the battery reports 0% it is not truly depleted.

I did concede that storing a depleted battery for a long time was not advised. This we all agree on.

TLDR : Lithium based batteries are designed to be charged then discharged. There is nothing magical you can do to them these days to make them last longer. Older technologies are different but fall outside the scope of discussion.

Li-ion batteries are slowly being replaced by Li-poly batteries anyway as they are lighter and last longer, so read up yourself on these 2 types of batteries and make your own decision.
    Ah. What I read from your previous post was "never letting it drain empty can deplete certain cells", which brought me back to my previous cellphones which required that you discharge your batteries completely before recharging to maintain longer battery life.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by danae View Post
    Ah. What I read from your previous post was "never letting it drain empty can deplete certain cells", which brought me back to my previous cellphones which required that you discharge your batteries completely before recharging to maintain longer battery life.
    Good point. In retrospect I would like to retract that statement as being factually incorrect.
    Grand Watchman of the Ancient Blue Citadel
    Warriors of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn.

Don't just witness the greatness;
    Stride with us.

To join the demonstrably greatest guild in the history of Shadow Era - click here

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I am not so sure about that, but to use something while it is charging and charging before it gets empty is decreasing the life I think. I did that with my lap top and battery my battery is wasted now. you shouldn't charge before the battery gets very low.