Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Good thread!

@The Witch Doctor - people should indeed play with what they find comfortable; most people however feel comfortable when they have made the decision to play with the best starter deck available, and that is why this is a nice thread for them.
    proud former member of A1 Alliance
    overview of all
    my strategy articles

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by The Witch Doctor View Post
    I don't really agree.
    I think a new player should start with what ever deck he feels comfortable with.
    The problem is that new players have no basis to know what they'll be comfortable with. All they have to go on is the artwork and some equally meaningless stats.

I started with Amber and wasn't disappointed at all. Winning against the computer was not so challenging and not having the weapons was a real incentive to try and get more money by any ways.
    If a new player is convinced that they want to build an Amber deck, then the fastest way is to start with Boris. They'll get wins and gold faster, and they'll pick up Amber for almost free when they get the Warrior deck.

My criteria for being a good starter hero were, in rough order:
    • Fun to play out of the box, since they're going to make quick decisions about whether to keep playing.
    • Gives you a good feel for how the hero/game works, even if you're using some non-optimal cards.
    • Reasonably easy to build into a fun Quick Match deck.
    • Efficient against the AI for grinding gold.

I started with a Gwen deck personally, not knowing any better. But note that Amber and Gwen score badly on almost every point.

I should also mention that your starting hero becomes REALLY unimportant if you intend to buy shadow crystals. And I recommend that they do since it's a game worth supporting. $2 goes a long way, and $20 will let you build a bunch of decks that are fun in different ways.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    20 bucks buys you every friggin card.

As for gwen-
    I would say she is very challenging to simply start from, same as amber. No abilities to USE.

That said, I'm gonna go create a secret account as amber or gwen, just to get a kick out of it.
    Signature for rent.