Close

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

arebelspy SE Commentary #7 - Rogue v Mage Challenge

Click here for the main thread discussing my commentaries: http://www.shadowera.com/showthread....Thread&p=76344

This is arebelspy SE Commentary #7 - Rogue v Mage Challenge

Video link:
    Three games were played.
    Game 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4ng7tLL-7g
    Game 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmcj5Fj1DCo
    Game 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oA4MQV0-NNY

This video is a response to a challenge on the forums to see if Rogues can beat Mages found here: http://www.shadowera.com/showthread....ues-beat-mages

Please leave any specific comments to the video in this thread, any generic comments on my commentating or commentary requests in the main thread linked above.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Well, overall obviously I've been humbled. Not that I was cocky in my own ability, but I wanted to prove that rogues weren't as useless as everybody claimed they were. Anyway, I guess it's clear now that a good build used by a skillful player can take down even a great rogue deck without too much difficulty. Kudos to arebelspy for the great games.

My own commentary for what it's worth:

1st game: Really got killed with card draw here. Started off terribly. I managed to get a Blake out, but when I didn't draw any of my 4 Aldons by T3 I said goodbye to any chance of gaining board control. Normally, I would have killed his Medusil with a pumped up Blake, and tried to gain board control from there, but all I had available was Jasmine. No Blake by T4 either, or any ally that I could play for that matter. All I had was a Raven and an assassination that I was saving for his Plasma B's. If I remember correctly, I drew a Recon, which was useless at that point. After that dud of a turn it was all history.

Game 2: Can't really complain. When I saw the Portal and your resources, I knew Plasma B was coming. It still haunts me at night actually.

Game 3: Outplayed.

Awesome planning ahead. Really surprised me when I watched the video to see that not only did you anticipate my moves before I did them, but had counters for them. Nice commentaries as always. Pleasure playing you.

Edit: Let that poor cat in.
    Last edited by LordKronos; 08-01-2011 at 02:29 AM.
    Titan King of A1. So Good That Kyle Nerfed Us.

All that is gold does not glitter,
    Not all those who wander are lost;
    The old that is strong does not wither,
    Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LordKronos View Post
    Really surprised me when I watched the video to see that not only did you anticipate my moves before I did them, but had counters for them.
    Hmm, I didn't think of that aspect of it, but yeah, anticipating the opponent's moves and making plans for them is pretty crucial. Hard for me to commentate on it, cause I'm usually commentating on a replay and anticipating their moves obviously doesn't make sense. Could do it when commentating a 3rd party game, I guess, or live games. Hmm. I'll have to think about how I can do a commentary devoted to that, because it is a good skill.

You played well. If I remember correctly (I haven't watched these since we played them, since I did the commentaries live I never had to rewatch them to commentate them), there was only one time where I went "that was a mistake" and had a better play. Not bad in 3 games.

I don't think I said it in the video, but the losses weren't due to mistakes or anything like that... just due to Mages (and perhaps Mayija in particular) being better than Rogues. Which is what we set out to find out, so... mission accomplished?

I enjoyed doing the live commentary, so thanks for the games. I may try some more in the future, but I think my commentary suffers because I
    m partially distracted on the game. Plus it might not be a great game, and I won't know that going in, versus a replay where I can pick and choose good games.

But they are interesting in getting to see the live thought process on what cards to sacrifice, what to play, etc., so I would like to do more at some point. Maybe I'll do some live tournament games or something.

Anyways, ggs and thanks.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Thanks for confirming my suspicions

Hopefully Rogues (and Wolven) wont be quite such a broken class in the future.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by arebelspy View Post
    You played well. If I remember correctly (I haven't watched these since we played them, since I did the commentaries live I never had to rewatch them to commentate them), there was only one time where I went "that was a mistake" and had a better play. Not bad in 3 games.

I don't think I said it in the video, but the losses weren't due to mistakes or anything like that... just due to Mages (and perhaps Mayija in particular) being better than Rogues. Which is what we set out to find out, so... mission accomplished?
    Yeah, I believe the mistake you're referring to was not taking out your Brute. The thought process behind it was a) need to do as much early damage to your hero as I can before I lose board control and b) hoping Aldon came next turn to give my Jasmine a 1 hit kill.

After we played I went back and looked at a lot of my replays, and out of all the mages I beat it turns out most were actually Nishaven. Card advantage is just too crucial I guess. Hopefully rogue gets beefed up soon, cuz it doesn't look like 1.27 has anything good in store for us.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Was hoping to see some more luck on the rougue's side with this commentary, but I guess they do have their reliability issues, especially drawing cards. They do have some armors that give extra draw, but I'm not having much luck with it.

@ LordKronos: What extra card draw options did you have in your deck? Or preferably: can you post your deck composition. Started out with rogues lately, but still figuring out the basics.

I hope the Rogues get some buffs too with 1,27.
    Fingers crossed...

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by BunnyWabit View Post
    Was hoping to see some more luck on the rougue's side with this commentary, but I guess they do have their reliability issues, especially drawing cards. They do have some armors that give extra draw, but I'm not having much luck with it.

@ LordKronos: What extra card draw options did you have in your deck? Or preferably: can you post your deck composition. Started out with rogues lately, but still figuring out the basics.

I hope the Rogues get some buffs too with 1,27.
    Fingers crossed...
    I rely on recon, which is usually enough. Arebelspy is just a very good player who had me on my heels so playing an accessory item wasn't an option against him. I tried and hated ill gotten gains, and the armor is not reliable for card draw with the low durability giving it a limited time it can be used, and also the cc is too high for my liking. My deck is in my signature.