Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

1.26 miscellaneous boris discussion

just wanted to get the ball rolling on a boris discussion for 1.26...

first, a tangent about the scoring system...

i win the majority of my matches with this deck (i suspect my winrate is between 75-80%) but have been unable to surpass 250 score. i read that 250 is what the system "pushes" you towards - basically, if you reach 250 you are 'average' - high skill players will reach 325, the elite will hit 400, and a select few will reach 450. sometimes i go on big 12 game win streaks and gain just 2 points... those points of course disappear when i get my next loss. i've never hated a scoring system as much as the one in this game. ok... tangent complete, let's talk boris.

here's my current deck:

3x jasmine
    3x puwen
    3x blake
    2x raven
    3x aldon

1x war banner
    2x smashing blow
    1x crippling blow
    1x valiant defender
    4x blood frenzy
    3x retreat
    1x the king's pride
    1x berserker's edge
    1x jeweler's edge

any thoughts on this?

some card discussion:

valiant defender - can be good in melee vs melee if you don't get to go first. also works well vs. gwen who is a medium threat to this deck. it's highly situational and usually gets sacrificed, but when i use it, it often changes the game.
    berserker's edge - i brought this in as a mage killer, and it works ok as such, unfortunately majiya can shriek it and majiya is the major threat.
    puwen vs blake - typically i opt to use 4 puwen, 2 blake instead of 3/3. i find the extra health keeps him alive longer to deal more damage, although i do see less 1 dmg sources (spark/firesnake/wizent's staff) lately. 3 health also allows him to survive arcane blast or whatever it's called - the one that does 2 dmg to 4 targets.

some matchup discussion:

majiya - toughest matchup. fire snake on t1 is highly likely so puwen really helps here. i typically try to get blood frenzy going on t2 and control the board. i keep just enough creatures out to bait a supernova then i flood it as best i can. baiting a shriek with war banner is also helpful if i intend to play a weapon. always hang on to a smashing blow to deal with an inevitable snow sapphire.

gwenneth - medium challenge. always save smashing blows for soul seeker. if they don't use bad santa or bazaar you win with your big card advantage. be sure to save valiant defender.

anyways, just opening the floor for some boris discussion. how successful have you guys been with this hero?

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Dunno, 250 seems very high, like top 5% of all active players.

Sorry, just wanted to comment on that, I'm not a Boris user, so I won't comment on the deck, except that you have a bit to many '1x' cards.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    when i say i haven't been able to surpass 250, i am saying i have hit 250 but can't get any higher.

simply saying i have 'too many 1x' cards without offering input or, more importantly, knowing a boris deck well is not constructive.

1.27 Tournament Champion Raphael Majere's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    250 is okay.

A well-built deck + good player should reach 250.

240 is respectable.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by daniel-robb View Post
    saying i have 'too many 1x' cards without any knowledge of boris or any input offered is not constructive.
    Whoa - tough words.

I am playing a Boris deck now, from ground up. I believe it should have no problem reaching 240+. I'll update when I have it.

Your deck looks good. What I would do is - BE, + 1 more JD.

My boris deck is slightly different from yours. Less allies. More defense. Once again, will update.

PS: My competitive Boris deck is not my "Captain Carnage" deck.

@daniel-robb

I presume you reach 250 on 1.26 and not 1.25?
    Last edited by Raphael Majere; 07-25-2011 at 02:44 PM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Raphael Majere View Post
    Whoa - tough words.

I am playing a Boris deck now, from ground up. I believe it should have no problem reaching 240+. I'll update when I have it.

Your deck looks good. What I would do is - BE, + 1 more JD.

My boris deck is slightly different from yours. Less allies. More defense. Once again, will update.

PS: My competitive Boris deck is not my "Captain Carnage" deck.

@daniel-robb

I presume you reach 250 on 1.26 and not 1.25?
    i just want to keep things on track. comments without any thought behind them are not going to help us improve as boris players.

i think you're right with your jasmine suggestion. i'll drop a blake and add 1 more of her.

i'll await your update on the rest... also, i have no idea what captain carnage is.

yes, i've reached 250 on 1.26. i'm currently low 240's though.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    oh... ok, i found the link in your signature. i'm only interested in highly competitive decks, not fun decks.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    oh... ok, i found the link in your signature. i'm only interested in highly competitive decks, not fun decks.
    Yeah, i needed to tell u that, in case u were thinking that I was playing the fun deck into the 250s. I am not.

I did not suggest anything about Jasmine.

Anyways, after playing 75 games with Amber straight within the last 24 hours. I feel that Boris is even better.

Many players will disagree with that.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Raphael Majere View Post
    Yeah, i needed to tell u that, in case u were thinking that I was playing the fun deck into the 250s. I am not.

I did not suggest anything about Jasmine.

Anyways, after playing 75 games with Amber straight within the last 24 hours. I feel that Boris is even better.

Many players will disagree with that.
    oh, sorry... i'm not really familiar with the acronyms. i thought JE was jasmine and BE was blake (their full names, i don't know/didn't check their last names). yeah, berserker's edge is gone currently... since it's primarily a mage killer, i put in a dimension ripper which i think does the job better.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    oh, sorry... i'm not really familiar with the acronyms. i thought JE was jasmine and BE was blake (their full names, i don't know/didn't check their last names). yeah, berserker's edge is gone currently... since it's primarily a mage killer, i put in a dimension ripper which i think does the job better.
    Ripper - not good in your deck. You do not want your opponent to get your KP (King's Pride) and Raven. Go with JD (Jeweler's Dream).