Close

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

A question about card formats

I notice that the rules text on the cards is similar to older MTG cards in that it conveys flavor and doesn't seem to follow very strict formatting rules. I really enjoy the presence of flavor it the text but the lack of specifics and formatting can really hurt player comprehension of how the card works. For example, the card "Engulfing Fire" reads "The target is set on fire and takes 1 damage each turn." I can sort of assume, because i have a pretty good understand of card games in general, that because it doesn't specify "target ally" or "target hero" it can target both heroes and allies, but an other question comes to mind when i read this: Does the card stay on the board "attached" to the target so that it might be destroyed later? In a traditional, physical card game it would sort of have to, as there wouldn't be any other decent way to remember who should be taking the damage, but because Shadow Era can have the computer do a lot of the record keeping I can't really assume that here!

If the card DOES stay on the board I would like to see it mechanically separated from other, one shot cards either by having it referred to as something like an "ongoing mage ability" or having the rules text say something like "Attach to a target (I also feel that the card type of the target should be described). The target is set on fire etc..."

I realize that it's early to ask these questions but I'm so terribly excited! Now that I think about it, your rules texts and their template's probably aren't even final, yet...

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    There will be faction symbols on the cards eventually, but they haven't been designed yet. Actually the whole card design right now is just a placeholder, it is being professionally redesigned as we speak...
    Kyle said that the cards we have now are just placeholders and that they are all being redone by a professional. But what you said about the description of Engulfing Flames is true, it's not a very good description. But maybe they are also being redone too.
    Last edited by Eney; 07-16-2010 at 07:12 PM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    That's kinda what i figured. I must have over looked that post. Thanks!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    With an online TCG you can be more brief in the descriptions, because the available targets are highlighted in the game, and the game takes care of the mechanics, so nothing is left up to the user's interpretation. For example, you click on the "Engulfing Flames" card, and the enemy allies as well as the enemy Hero are highlighted as possible targets, so it is immediately obvious what the card does. You select your target, you see the card move behind the target, and the target card is now actually on fire with a cool particle system. There are also cards that remove effects, so you can "cure" someone that is on fire by destroying the attached card.

This will make more sense after watching the gameplay trailer, "Engulfing Flames" in particular is shown because the sfx are awesome

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    This will make more sense after watching the gameplay trailer, "Engulfing Flames" in particular is shown because the sfx are awesome
    When can we expect to see this gameplay trailer and its awesome sfx?