Close

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Gwen deck advice

Hi, I've recently finished a boris deck and was looking to start up on a Gwen or any ther hunter deck (i'd prefer her for the damage bonus but it can be a pain with lots of counters) and was wondering if there's any tips anyone can throw my way since im still kinda new and just tossed this together based on what I read and partially on what I think works

Gwen
    3-jasmine
    3-blake
    2-raven
    3-aldon
    4-arrows
    2-rapid fire
    4-into the forest
    4-SS
    4-BDB

I'm not sure I got the ally ratio right for a more weapon based deck (which is what im going for) so im open to play around with tossing some, also the arrows seem to be more for finishing off bigger foes I'd assume since just leaving one on a full hp mob doesn't really do much good if they still get to attack you but I could be wrong.

Played around with 3 NP armors for a while and they actually did help me, assuming I either got lucky when my bows wern't destroyed or just played bad people but I've read that since the aeon nerf they wern't as good anymore so I scrapped them for the blakes to give me some early game wiggle room for damage and to give my opponent something to be slightly worried about if I got to go first.

Aside from that I'm finding that the deck doesn't do to bad but I do end up getting overwhelmed if I draw a bad starting hand (more bows than anything, cant tell you how many times I'd draw 4 in a starting hand ><) or just a rough deck, i've noticed that casters seem to be more of an issue for me, mages more than priests most of the time but agianst alot of others once they're outta weapon destroying cards it's not to hard to win.

Any tips/advice would be great, thanks.

1.27 Tournament Champion Raphael Majere's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CloaknDagger View Post
    Hi, I've recently finished a boris deck and was looking to start up on a Gwen or any ther hunter deck (i'd prefer her for the damage bonus but it can be a pain with lots of counters) and was wondering if there's any tips anyone can throw my way since im still kinda new and just tossed this together based on what I read and partially on what I think works

Gwen
    3-jasmine
    3-blake
    2-raven
    3-aldon
    4-arrows
    2-rapid fire
    4-into the forest
    4-SS
    4-BDB

I'm not sure I got the ally ratio right for a more weapon based deck (which is what im going for) so im open to play around with tossing some, also the arrows seem to be more for finishing off bigger foes I'd assume since just leaving one on a full hp mob doesn't really do much good if they still get to attack you but I could be wrong.

Played around with 3 NP armors for a while and they actually did help me, assuming I either got lucky when my bows wern't destroyed or just played bad people but I've read that since the aeon nerf they wern't as good anymore so I scrapped them for the blakes to give me some early game wiggle room for damage and to give my opponent something to be slightly worried about if I got to go first.

Aside from that I'm finding that the deck doesn't do to bad but I do end up getting overwhelmed if I draw a bad starting hand (more bows than anything, cant tell you how many times I'd draw 4 in a starting hand ><) or just a rough deck, i've noticed that casters seem to be more of an issue for me, mages more than priests most of the time but agianst alot of others once they're outta weapon destroying cards it's not to hard to win.

4 retreats - you have to read this:

http://www.shadowera.com/showthread....ll=1#post73747

Plus: a unique combo that can be used - shoot with BDB 3 times, change it to an ally, retreat it and you can cast it as a bow again.

1.27 Tournament Champion Raphael Majere's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Aside from that I'm finding that the deck doesn't do to bad but I do end up getting overwhelmed if I draw a bad starting hand (more bows than anything, cant tell you how many times I'd draw 4 in a starting hand ><)
    I wouldn't be worried about the 8 bows -You will want 1 BDB on turn 4 if possible. The worst thing that can happen to Gwen is that the bow is destroyed, there is none in hand, and the next draw did not yield a new bow. So dont worry abt the large number of bows. (unless you want to play an ally-focused Gwen)

RE: NP.

Search Night Prowler, there was a long post on it. My opinion on NP - it depends on the deck. My current Gwen deck has 2 NP, but it works due to the 4 Retreats.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Gwen
    3-jasmine
    3-blake
    2-raven
    3-aldon
    4-arrows
    2-rapid fire
    4-into the forest
    4-SS
    4-BDB

You need to tune your deck to do this on first five turns:

T1: (nothing)
    T2: Blake/Puwen, depending of opponent's deck
    T3: Aldon
    T4: BDB
    T5: Rapid Fire if table is not under control, Night Prowler if it is.

Which means: put 4 Blake, 4 Puwen, 4 Aldon and 1-2 NP.
    Mainly an Elemental player:

1.24 - Zaladar "Classic" deck;
    1.25 - Elementalis "Infinite Recursion" deck;
    1.26 - Zaladar "Gotta draw 'em all!" deck;

Member of the Inventor's Guild

"Who nerfed MC? who? WHO? WHO????????? SHOW MEEEEEE!!!"

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Nice deck. It's really close to mine.
    I would go:
    -3 Blake
    +4 Puwen
    -4 arrows
    +2 night prowler
    +1 gravediggers cloak

You want Puwen because it stays on the board longer than Blake and the whole point of Gwen is to hold off board control until you can get your bows out.
    The arrows really never did it for me I think they are kind if a waste because it's a defensive move and gwens all about being aggressive. I would go for those armors because once you get get them out with your bows it's usually a game changer (especially against mages, I love stealing their burn cards).

Progression goes like this:
    1-
    2- Puwen
    3- aldon/jasmine
    4-bdb
    5-night prowler/gravedigger/rapid fire

At this point you can stop resourcing at 5 resources and throw in a couple ravens here and there and re-upping with more bows

Hope this helps

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    -3 blake
    -3 aldon

+1 jasmine
    +1 Raven
    +2 aeon
    +2 gravediggers cloak

gravediggers are really good IMHO stealing cards from the opponent is awesome

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    So I made a few changes to my deck and ended up with this:

3-Jasmine
    4-Puwen (still slightly sceptical but they do help when going first and i get one for soaking damage)
    4-Aldon (people seem to really like wasting fireballs on him so im sticking with 4 simply because he soaks a good hit or two from gwen)
    2-Rapid fire
    4-into the wild
    2-retreat (good for the bow strat or just getting rid of something and setting back the other person one turn if early on)
    3-NP armor (tried two, felt three was better)
    4-SS
    4-BDB

From what i've noticed I cant seem to not run with any less than 4 of the BDB for the soul purpose that over half the decks i'll play can have up to 4 weapon/item destroy cards and I found that even with one less bow it really did hurt me if they got all 4 early on and crippled me (rare i know but it has happend). Even with just one more it wont make a huge difference but i'd rather be stuck with 4 bows after having 4 destroyed instead of 3 and wishing I had one more on this coming turn to win the game.

Pondered the idea of the graverobber cloaks for a while but I found the NP to be slightly better if only for saving me points on my hero incase i want to change a BDB into an ally instead of throwing it away after the first 3 shots.

Aside from that it really seems to be a big deal if I end up going second in alot of match ups, especially agianst another gwen, its almost always a loss cause i'm playing catch up the whole game since the other person gets most of if not all the firsts (2cc ally first/bow/RR/NP) and then im really hurting the rest of the game unless something crucial happens, but I could be missing something, again any further advice/comments are welcome, ty all again.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    My only thought is that you have no draw engine. When you get to T4 or T5, if you don't have bows to drop, you're screwed.

Feel free to ignore me, I'm consistently hovering at around 175, so there are obviously wiser players than myself, but I like having a few Bad Santas around just in case. If you get the bows, it's a free sacrifice. If you don't, it's only 2 resources to pull 3 cards, and you're virtually guaranteed that one will be a weapon.

Weapons wear out quickly, especially if your enemy is attacking your hero, so having a couple in your hand all the time is crucial, IMHO.