Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    My deck includes both though. I would never play a Blake if they already had one of those allies down that you've listed. I suppose when I said this deck requires little thought to play I lied, obviously I wouldn't play an ally with a life of one if I knew it would immediately die. I usually find Blake to be an endgame type card rather than a starter oddly enough and that is precisely because of the reason you've hit upon.

I could perhaps take out all my Blakes and all my Campfires and run with a more focused 32 card deck?

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by 23Kid View Post
    My deck includes both though. I would never play a Blake if they already had one of those allies down that you've listed. I suppose when I said this deck requires little thought to play I lied, obviously I wouldn't play an ally with a life of one if I knew it would immediately die. I usually find Blake to be an endgame type card rather than a starter oddly enough and that is precisely because of the reason you've hit upon.

I could perhaps take out all my Blakes and all my Campfires and run with a more focused 32 card deck?
    Deck size is moving up to 40 in v1.28. Check out my list and tell me what you think. I'll fetch the link.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I think I'm going to test replacing Blake for Retreat.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

1.27 Tournament Champion Raphael Majere's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Drakkon View Post
    Deck size is moving up to 40 in v1.28. Check out my list and tell me what you think. I'll fetch the link.
    For 40 card limit, IMO, Boris will not be competitive. I wouldn't play Boris competitively in a 40 card environment (unless new cards emerged to change dynamics)

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Oh ..... what makes you say that? Warriors have fairly good draw but I suppose they don't have a lot of flexibility. Barely any DD, almost all allies.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 23Kid View Post
    Oh ..... what makes you say that? Warriors have fairly good draw but I suppose they don't have a lot of flexibility. Barely any DD, almost all allies.
    One word: BF.

In a 40 card deck, the chance of BF is much much lower. No BF = defeat for Boris. My own 30 card Boris deck - 90% of losses due to No BF in first 6 turns. (Imagine not being able to draw BF in a 30 card deck, much less a 40 card deck)

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Raphael Majere View Post
    For 40 card limit, IMO, Boris will not be competitive. I wouldn't play Boris competitively in a 40 card environment (unless new cards emerged to change dynamics)
    I'm sure many people would disagree with you. A lot of decks have draw issues. Boris does not. If you're losing because you don't have BF early you aren't playing conservative enough. I run a 40 card Boris and it does just fine. Board Control = Win. Not draw power.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    In a 40 card deck there is 43.7% chance of not drawing one BF by turn 2.
    In a 30 card deck there is 37.3% chance of not drawing one BF by turn 2.

that is a 6.4% increase which equates to 8 in 125. So you will find yourself not drawing BF when you can use it 8 more times in 125 games if you play 40 vs. 30 cards.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Drakkon View Post
    I'm sure many people would disagree with you. A lot of decks have draw issues. Boris does not. If you're losing because you don't have BF early you aren't playing conservative enough. I run a 40 card Boris and it does just fine. Board Control = Win. Not draw power.
    Like I have mentioned, it's just 'in my opinion'.

I am sure a lot of people would disagree. My take is that Boris needs to rely on allies to win and deal damage. Weapons take a back seat. Boris as a board control hero is v weak IMO. Yes, most decks have draw issues, but those decks also have cards that provide huge card advantage. (Gwen - bows, Zaladar's blast, Nishaven's blast)

Perhaps I also have high expectations - "doing just fine" for a deck for me would have to be a win-loss ratio of around 8-2. Anything less is than that, I am not keen to play it.