Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Boris go Back to Basics deck

I realise I posted this in the wrong section before; I didn't even know these sub sections existed. I apologise and would request that if a mod sees this then the thread in the main strategy area it is deleted and this one in the warrior sub section is left as is? Is this possible?

Anyway here it is again:

Boris goes Back to Basics
    This is a fairly expensive deck to build from scratch but it's very very simple to play and requires little effort. I just thought I'd post because it's been a while since i saw a deck that was just very basic and focused, easy to play etc.
    1x Boris
    4x Jasmin
    4x Puwen
    3x Blake
    4x Aldon
    2x Aeon
    3x War Banner
    4x Smashing Blow
    4x Crippling Blow
    1x Enrage
    4x Blood Frenzy
    2x King's Pride

Total - 36 cards.

It's very simple in choosing what to play every turn, the only time it changes is when playing against weapon heavy decks such as Gwen.

Sac every turn until around 7 resources if possible.
    T1 - Sac only
    T2 - Blake (only if not playing against mage and the field is clear of opposing allies, otherwise Puwen)
    T3 - Aldon
    T4 - War Banner
    T5 - Jasmin or Aldon + Puwen or Blake
    T6 - Aeon
    T7 - King's Pride

A quick rundown of some of the card choices:

This deck is made up of cheap allies mainly so that users of plague won't gain a massive upperhand.
    Jasmin is used to stall opponents and protect weaklings, whilst Aldon is used for his +1 attack buff.
    Aeon is used to protect all the weaklings and just take a lot of abuse.
    War banner is interchangeable with Aldon. I usually play Aldon first for the board presence and banner later.
    Smashing blow to deal with Gwen decks.
    Crippling blow to deal with Gargoyles, Erika or Raven. Whatever I can't kill in one turn and is annoying really.
    Campfire stories because it's a draw a card for free and heals. This has literally saved my ass against supernova so many times. If you have a bunch of allies down + Aeon and someone plays a 'clear the board' type spell, campfire can become your best friend. Just works pretty well in a lot of situations.
    Enrage and Blood frenzy are pretty obvious. You want to draw and you want +10 health, easy.
    King's pride is just another boost to the weaker allies.

Im sure a lightweight version of this deck could be made for a 30 card limit.

So what do you guys think? What do you think works here and what do you think is pointless? I welcome people to challenge me and put forward scenarios and weaknesses so I can see what I can come up with and improve!

DECK EDITED SINCE ORIGINAL POST
    Last edited by 23Kid; 07-19-2011 at 06:14 PM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Dont need more than 2 war banners, after its played the rest are dead draws. Campfire stories would be a good card, but about 90% of the time when someone is attacking your allies they will attack to kill and there will be nothing left to heal. I do see that you might've looked at the post I gave you last time and updated it to 4 Blood frenzy which is a definite must in a warrior deck, especially at this size.

If you do decide to take out a war banner and a few campfire stories, you can add in Raven and Retreat, both will help you with board control a great deal. If you can get Raven out when your opponent cant handle it on the first turn, then you have board control. Until your opponent can deal with Raven by either killing her or crippling her in some way then they cant do much, all the while you are buffing up your field even more. I personally don't run Raven, but there's a good chance I would in a 40 card deck. With retreat, besides granting you an extra turn from being hacked at, you can also think of it as an extra turn for your shadow energy to build up. Here's an example, if your opponent plays Jasmine/Aldon T3 and you retreat Aldon back to their hand the next turn when they can play it again they will be more hesitant due to the fact you now have 4se and can deal with it that way. They are then forced to make a different move they would rather not make and you have a chance at board control.

Hope the tips help
    Gamer Mind: Carbon_911

Go for the throat...show no mercy..

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    That looks almost exactly like my deck

However, as said above, I would ditch the campfires.

Also, I would lose 2 puwens and 2 jasmins and replace them with 4 ravens.

Lastly, Id replace the blood frenzy with 4 bazaars (I cant stand losing health every turn).

Personally, Id stick with 2 war banners.

1.27 Tournament Champion Raphael Majere's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulnarian View Post

Lastly, Id replace the blood frenzy with 4 bazaars (I cant stand losing health every turn).
    Are you serious? I would very much rather lose life then to give my opponent 1 card every turn!!!!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Carbon_911 View Post
    Dont need more than 2 war banners, after its played the rest are dead draws. Campfire stories would be a good card, but about 90% of the time when someone is attacking your allies they will attack to kill and there will be nothing left to heal. I do see that you might've looked at the post I gave you last time and updated it to 4 Blood frenzy which is a definite must in a warrior deck, especially at this size.

If you do decide to take out a war banner and a few campfire stories, you can add in Raven and Retreat, both will help you with board control a great deal. If you can get Raven out when your opponent cant handle it on the first turn, then you have board control. Until your opponent can deal with Raven by either killing her or crippling her in some way then they cant do much, all the while you are buffing up your field even more. I personally don't run Raven, but there's a good chance I would in a 40 card deck. With retreat, besides granting you an extra turn from being hacked at, you can also think of it as an extra turn for your shadow energy to build up. Here's an example, if your opponent plays Jasmine/Aldon T3 and you retreat Aldon back to their hand the next turn when they can play it again they will be more hesitant due to the fact you now have 4se and can deal with it that way. They are then forced to make a different move they would rather not make and you have a chance at board control.

Hope the tips help
    Yeah, check out Carbon_911's Boris deck!

http://www.shadowera.com/showthread....-do-Boris-Sahn

I like it very much - very fun deck.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Anyone who doesn't run Blood Frenzy in a warrior deck is just bad. It's the best Draw card in the game by far.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    The reason I run with so many War Banners is because I find it important for a turn 3 Puwen to have +1 attack. I want to absolutely maximise my chance of having an attack 3 Puwen by turn 3 so I can kill opponents' Puwens in one hit. It might seem silly but I view it as kind of essential to maintaining early board control. A Puwen and an Aldon if possible, if not a bannered (which is now a verb haha) Puwen only.

I kind of want to run this deck with all cheap cards so that I can swarm and get good draws very very early. I would consider it a tough match if I didn't have board control by the time I had 4 resources, let alone 5 when I could put in Raven. If I did add Raven it would mean taking out some of my early plays and replacing them with late plays. This is a viable tactic but it means I would need those retreats and crippling blows more in the early game rather than end game. It's sort of a tactic shift. At the moment I play ally, ally, ally, ally etc then finally at my luxury use the crippling blows if needed. If I made a shift like this it might end up cripple, retreat, ally whilst I wait for my late cards to come finish up. I don't know but I'll definitely think about it.

Another silly but sometimes useful tactic I have regarding Campfire is that, knowing I have 4, I will use one early game simply to draw the cards I want and thin my deck out. I've used it a lot against Gwen decks not because of the heal but because I've been desperate for a smashing blow. Is this useless and a waste? I'm not sure. It's exactly the same as research isn't it? 2 resource cost to draw a card?
    Last edited by 23Kid; 07-18-2011 at 01:12 PM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 23Kid View Post
    The reason I run with so many War Banners is because I find it important for a turn 3 Puwen to have +1 attack. I want to absolutely maximise my chance of having an attack 3 Puwen by turn 3 so I can kill opponents' Puwens in one hit. It might seem silly but I view it as kind of essential to maintaining early board control. A Puwen and an Aldon if possible, if not a bannered (which is now a verb haha) Puwen only.

I kind of want to run this deck with all cheap cards so that I can swarm and get good draws very very early. I would consider it a tought match if I didn't have board control by the time I had 4 resources, let alone 5 when I could put in Raven. If I did add Raven it would mean taking out some of my early plays and replacing them with late plays. This is a viable tactic but it means I would need those retreats and crippling blows more in the early game rather than end game. It's sort of a tactic shift. At the moment I play ally, ally, ally, ally etc then finally at my luxury use the crippling blows if needed. If I made a shift like this it might end up cripple, retreat, ally whilst I wait for my late cards to come finish up. I don't know but I'll definitely think about it.

Another silly but sometimes useful tactic I have regarding Campfire is that, knowing I have 4, I will use one early game simply to draw the cards I want and thin my deck out. I've used it a lot against Gwen decks not because of the heal but because I've been desperate for a smashing blow. Is this useless and a waste? I'm not sure. It's exactly the same as research isn't it? 2 resource cost to draw a card?
    Mathematically, the Puwen/Aldon combo is not as strong as the Blake/Aldon combo. I feel that we should not be too optimistic about achieving combos. For example, if you went second instead of first, and your opponents summons a Blake, you won't event be able to summon a Puwen (or Blake) at all!

Your analogy of early board control is right but you must also consider mid/late game. Because if your opponent can survive your initial onslaught, you will have problems dealing with his mid game onslaught. At the end, whoever has no life loses, hence it does not matter if you managed to get him down to 1 Life. All he has to do it simply make sure you are killed before he is!

Campfire stories: I think you just answered your own question :-)

Suppose you are dying for a campfire story to draw a SB, and you draw 1 campfire story, (Yippee!) and you cast it and draw a SB (double yippee!), but did you realise that in terms of deck stack order, if you didn't have campfire stories, you would have drawn the SB outright?

Research vs Campfire stories: It's very different! In SE and all other CCGs, we want to achieve card advantage. Research is a recurring card, which means we can use it every turn, providing the player with a clear advantage. Campfire stories is a one-time effect.

but you have 4 BFs which means you are on the right track. I am not saying that campfire stories is not good. It's good but very situational.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Your logic on my Campfire Stories as a draw engine analogy is impeccable. I am somewhat shaken by my choice of card now haha.

I will think about this.....

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blake is not a good choice. Puwen is superior due to the fact people play Fire Snakes and Sparks.