Close

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    1.27 Tournament Champion Raphael Majere's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GondorianDotCom View Post
    I think Deathbone would help against Mages. Might be why I have no trouble with them. It's that pesky Aeon that I hate! Calmdown's change has annoyed me twice-over!
    Hmm, I would try Deathbones if i get the time. update me if you have any new thoughts/updates on Bellas vs Bones.

Lead Developer / Designer Gondorian's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Calmdown's change has annoyed me twice-over!
    Which is why I broke both his ankles. Let that be a warning to anyone else who crosses the almighty GODorian!

In other news, I have made a Moonstalker variant of this deck and it works pretty well. I swapped out the SS for Jeweller's Dream, swapped out the Arrows for Now You're Mine (kill Aldon, Jasmine, Gargoyle etc this turn, with one card), replaced a couple of allies with Rabid Bite, to stick on Aeon, and put in a couple of Bazaar and maybe something else. Can't remember. I'll post a decklist tonight. The lack of healing could be an issue, but I store up all my Shadow Energy and hide for 4 turns in a row, from turn 9.

The idea for this variant came from someone mentioning that PB requires you to save 3 resource for his ability, and I had the idea of using JD to generate you 2 of those resources for you. I also missed having Mind Control and saw Rabid Bite as the closest next best thing.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Ok, I have completed all my tests and experiments. I am now at around 19 - 2 (Win - Loss) with this deck. 90.5% win rate.

I think it's impressive and I am praising this deck and not my skill. I presume all of us are pretty much the same in terms of skill.

You can view all my games: Torak Ironfist (game handle)

The good points:

The Banebow deck works well - it should take any decent player up to 220 - 230. And it's really fun to play it. IMO, it's even more fun than my Zaladar Mega-rush.

Everything discussed earlier in this thread regarding how effective this deck is - they are all true.

The SS is extremely useful - a sudden attack and a sudden gain of life that can change the tide. (I would put 3 instead of 4 now)

Early board control - the first Banebow blast gains (regains) board control effectively, combined with allies/arrows.

The bad points:

Difficulty in dealing with fatties (including gargoyle) results in weaker mid-late game board control. As pointed out by others, Aeon/Raven poses a lot of problems because arrows will take a few turns to kill these allies and that can make a huge difference. MC (Zala) can deal with these allies instantly.

Enemy Gargoyles are the worst - I mentioned this earlier. Arrows does only 1 dmg per turn to it. So does Banebow's blast and SS - only 1 dmg to it. Making it extremely tough to kill. The worst thing is that almost all Majiya decks will run 4 of them. (I played against a Zala deck who life-infused the gargoyle, nightmare tough nut) (I managed to win that game.)

I lost my only 2 games to 2 Majiya players who played really well. EyeWink (256) and MBlaster (260)

Both of them used burn and INFERNAL gargoyle to deal with my allies. The gargoyles stuck around for a long time.

---------------------

It has been a really blast playing with this deck!

I am done with it though and going back to my Mega-rush, But this deck showed me something very important - the effectiveness of weapons. I am going to try putting some Rippers back in my Zala deck. I played against a Mega-rush who used Rippers and it was effective. I gained a Plasma after I got hit by the ripper (yippee!) but it turn to dust because when I summoned it on my turn, the player MC-ed it. (Sh*t!)

He told me he already had the MC in his hand before he cast the Ripper to take care of scenarios like this. I was blown away. great thinking.
    Last edited by Raphael Majere; 07-19-2011 at 02:30 PM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the update, Raphael, and even more so for taking this idea and running with it, and reporting back. I can only assume you have a bit more spare time than me!

Looks like I have indirectly talked you into adding back in the weapon that I talked you into taking out of your Zaladar!

One final question before you go back to Zal though: was Deathbone-> Bella the only change you made?

I will probably play this Banebow and my new Moonstalker variant in Quick Matches over the next week. I need to see how far I can take Banebow because I only have the one Quick Match loss with it, so far.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the update, Raphael, and even more so for taking this idea and running with it, and reporting back. I can only assume you have a bit more spare time than me!

Looks like I have indirectly talked you into adding back in the weapon that I talked you into taking out of your Zaladar!

One final question before you go back to Zal though: was Deathbone-> Bella the only change you made?

I will probably play this Banebow and my new Moonstalker variant in Quick Matches over the next week. I need to see how far I can take Banebow because I only have the one Quick Match loss with it, so far.
    Yes, Deathbone > Bella, is the only change i made.

DRs - still testing. the use of DRs is very situational. Only used to either turn the tide or late game to seal the game quickly.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    I am now 19-1 with this in Quick Matches. Just beat a 98-card Zhanna (had to play fast!), 35-card Gwen, a Boris (I've learned a few lessons since facing Carbon) and a Baduuru.

In my 20 games with this deck, my rating has gone up from 210 to 221, so I am halfway to succeeding in Killtrend's challenge.

I highly recommend this deck to people wanting to branch out from their current Hero (maybe a bit bored?) to something different and fun that can still win a lot of matches. It is especially strong versus Gwen and Majiya, in my experience.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    what you gonna do against cripping blow, you are mine, supernova and other debuff\dmg spells?

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    I am now 19-1 with this in Quick Matches. Just beat a 98-card Zhanna (had to play fast!), 35-card Gwen, a Boris (I've learned a few lessons since facing Carbon) and a Baduuru.

In my 20 games with this deck, my rating has gone up from 210 to 221, so I am halfway to succeeding in Killtrend's challenge.

I highly recommend this deck to people wanting to branch out from their current Hero (maybe a bit bored?) to something different and fun that can still win a lot of matches. It is especially strong versus Gwen and Majiya, in my experience.
    Ok, I am back with this deck. It's alluring. I dropped my mega-rush deck to come back to this.

I am at 237 - 239 with this deck.

DFs are NOTHING compared to SS. Perhaps I was overtly optimistic. SS is way better than Soul reaper to gain life. Firstly, it removes allies and the life gain is predictable. Moreover, there is more life gain via SS then Soul reaper if played properly.

I am back with this deck becos of 2 reason. A sudden urge to try Death Trap to control Raven and Aeon. I try to cast 1 on turn 4 (going second) so that my opponent's Raven cannot come into play. (Not bad, working out well.)

The delay can be significant - if he decides to wait for a 2cc/3cc ally in order to waste off my Death Trap, that allows my Banebow to gain SE and be more ready to deal with the Raven/Aeon when it comes out.

Plus, if he decides to cast the Raven anyways despite the Trap, he loses the Raven, and I only spent 3cc on Death trap.

Carbon's suggestion to have Blood Lust in a Banebow deck. Working great for me.

Lastly, the damage allocation seems more perfect. Zaladar is a little excessive at times. Banebow + SS = 4 dmg, Banebow + keldor (Garg) = 4 dmg, , etc, etc. Seems just right to take out 4 life allies. Vs Raven (Banebow + SS + Gargoyle)

My deck now:

Banebow

3x Death trap
    4 x Keldor
    4x Gargoyle
    4x Plasma Behemoth
    3x Chimera
    1 x Flaming Arrow
    4x Shriek
    4x Soul Seeker
    2 x Blood lust (early game to waste off enemy garg) (late game extra dmg to opponent or use it to rid Raven/Aeon)

I am looking for suggestions.

@gondorian - I have problems with Majiya and her Gargs. Any suggestions?

Does Deathbone really help? my perception is that going second, the deathbone will be killed by Majiya's garg and the garg only takes 1 dmg from the dead deathbone - does not sound pratical, plus at my T3, I would rather summon garg or Keldor.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dima View Post
    what you gonna do against cripping blow, you are mine, supernova and other debuff\dmg spells?
    Crippling Blow sucks, but they only have 4 of them max and my Keldor and Chimera can self pump and PB can still use his ability.

You Are Mine kills my cheap dudes, but I mostly have Chimera or PB out. I think I have faced a few Wulven opponents, but I will need to check.

Supernova kills all my allies, which is why I like having at least one Deathbone out, to add 2 extra pain to their Hero. But when the board has been cleared, I just play another PB next turn.

I am not saying this deck has no weaknesses, of course, but it certainly is a competitive and fun one to use, and it gets you kudos when you beat the standard Gwen/Majiya/Amber with it.

Let me know how you get on if you do try it.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    @Raphael: Gargoyles are a pain, so I put arrows on them. A good hit from PB works nicely too. Or a pumped up Keldor to finish them off after a Banebow ability?

Currently, i just do not fear Majiya, but I will keep playing and see how I get on.

The Death Trap change is interesting. It would combine nicely with a Crimson Vest! I think I would use these two in 40 cards, but I am sticking with my current version until my 17 match winning streak on Quick Match comes to an end. And, even then, I might still stick with it.