Close

Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    1.27 Tournament Champion Raphael Majere's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CHLBRK View Post
    you said you want every card to do damage, but if youre losing / going second ... its not that optimal
    i played zaladar very much a while ago
    Going second is not so much of a problem, losing is...

Might lose some Rippers in favor of Bad Santa. In my earlier tests, I had the Santas in place of the Rippers. During a late-game segment, I lost becos I drew a Santa instead of a Ripper. Had I drawn a Ripper , I would have been able to destroy my opponent's sole Jasmine combined with Zaladar's ability, changing the game.

Sometimes it's just luck - but that prompted me to put in the Rippers in place of Santas. But I will re-test and experiment. Probably 2 Rippers/2 Santas.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GondorianDotCom View Post
    I just had 2 quick matches against Majiya and Amber. I won both. However, I think this deck needs some draw and one Eternal Renewal.

Changes I will make: -3 Dimension Ripper, +1 Eternal Renewal, +2 Bad Santa.
    Nice Suggestions - I will probably experiment with the Santas. If for any reason I will add in the Santas, it would be that the Santas can turn a losing game around.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by arebelspy View Post

Also I built the deck, -2 ripper, +1 bad santa, +1 soul reaper. 1-0, beat a majiya.
    Beating Majiya - yup, that's another one of my criterion when building a new deck. It must be able to beat Majiya. (at least reasonably)

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by arebelspy View Post
    Thirded.

Also I built the deck, -2 ripper, +1 bad santa, +1 soul reaper. 1-0, beat a majiya.
    Was the duel that you won me? :Yes

Lead Developer / Designer Gondorian's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    2 more quick matches played (Gwen and Ter Adun), with the DRs swapped out for 2 Bad Santa, 2 Eternal Renewal, and I won both. Those 4 new cards came up early, so I sacced them all. And I never used any of the DRs in the first two games either.

Therefore, I think the last 4 slots are bonus ones. I'll stick my my current version for now, but I might end up swapping those spare slots to max out Gargoyle and Medusil or add in some Bellas.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Raphael Majere View Post
    Just wanted to share my deck with others. I would encourage everyone to build one and tell me your feedback/tweaks. It's a fun deck and IMO, the only way to play Zaladar competitively in 1.26.

I try to write everything in long hand so that beginners can understand as well.

This deck is also written for me to discuss other aspects of the game. (Card Advantage, Recovery from going second, Card draw mechanics, hero selection, etc) (More on that later).

1 x Zaladar

4 x Keldor
    3 x Infernal Gargoyle
    4 x Plasma Behemoths
    3 x Chimera
    3 x Medusil
    4 x Mind Control
    4 x Shriek
    4 x Dimension Ripper

Total: 30.

First things first, build the deck and try it out - it's devilishly effective.

Every card in deck can inflict damage except for Shriek.

I will explain why certain cards are selected and why other cards are omitted. (Where is Armor of Ages ?!) (No card draw spells like Bad Santa or Bazaar?) (No Life Infusion?! and No Eternal renewal?!)

Strategy

Board control - 2 words. When playing for this deck, you will want to control all aspects of the game as much as possible. You'll want to kill off all of your opponents' allies, while having a few on your side to deal damage.

Shrieks are used on crucial items such as cards that allow your opponent to draw more cards. (Research, Wizient Staff, on some occasions, Bazaar). In the late game, Shrieks can also be used on opponents' weapons and armor. (Amour of Ages, Snow Sapphire)

The deck has no card draw engines or spells hence you will need to restrict the number of cards your opponent can draw.

The deck has a feature that I always put in my decks. The ability to deal damage in multiple ways. For example, Mages (human and shadow) can deal damage through burn spells and allies. Hunters/Warriors can deal damage through weapons and allies.

My Zaladar "Mega-rush" can deal damage through 3 ways. Weapon (Ripper), Allies (lots of those!), and direct damage (Plasma Behemoths and Zaladar ability). I have defeated my opponents using all of the 3.

Key Strategy: Patience and Board presence.

When faced with a choice of eliminating opponents allies/removing threats or dealing damage, always (ok, almost always...) destroy the threats first.

For this reason, the deck has Plasma Behemoths, Keldor (who can kill of 4 Life enemy allies) and Chimera (who can deal a nasty 5 damage when pumped up) (5 damage can kill of enemy Plasmas and Gargoyles). And of cos, Zaladar's hero ability.

Turn 3! Mega-headache!?

At turn 3, there are many allies to summon. Which is the right choice? The advanced players should have no problems. For the new players, as a general guideline:

Vs Majiya: Gargoyle
    Vs Any opponent who already has a 4 life ally in play: Keldor (Keldor's pump-up can kill them off in turn 4.)
    Going to cast a Chimera in turn 4? Resource Keldor and cast Gargoyle or Medusil

Hence, knowing which ally or card to resource in turn 1 and 2 is somewhat important - but all it takes is just some games to figure it out and learn. You will be sacrificing allies in turn 1 and 2 - it's very likely.

Mega-interrupt!

NEVER EVER sacrifice the Shrieks! (unless you have 3 in your opening hand) They are only 4 in the deck and you'll need them later. Hold them in your hand to be used later.

Dimension Ripper? You will probably use only 2 or 1 or even none in the entire game. So you can decide to resource it early in the game. But they in the deck for a good reason. (More reasons below)

Card selections (Why these cards make the deck and others don't)

Multiple Choices at Turn 3 creates a lot of flexibility. Where are the Fire Snake/Brutalis and Sparks?!

IMO, too weak and virtually useless at mid-game and late game. I only want to draw effective cards in the mid to late game.

4 Dimension Rippers?!

Yup, they are the surprise cards. I only use them if I have to. The ability to 'instantly' inflict 2 damage on my turn can turn tables and change the tide of the game.

Do not underestimate this function.

It throws the opponents off-guard and sometimes creates new momentum for me. (A extra card from my opponents' deck can become a resource or I can use the card later.)

4 Plasmas?! Where is Life Infusion?!

Yes, they are the darlings of the deck. But I chose not to put in the Life Infusions, why? Main reason: Life Infusions do not deal damage on their own. Life Infusion falls prey to Retreat, Mind Control, Tidal Wave, Assassination, etc, etc.

That said, for new players interested in this deck and only has limited budget - replace the Rippers with 4 Life Infusions. The Life Infusions are good with Gargoyles (2/9 Super-hard Stone) and Chimera (5 Damage Monster) - Not recommended with all my heart - 4 Rippers far better.

Where is Soul Reaper?!

Mulling over this. I may remove 1 or 2 Rippers in favor of Soul Reaper. Lost a couple of very close games which may have turned out different had I used this.

Basically, when building this deck, I wanted to put in cards that are productive (deals damage) and not re-active (Armor of Ages, Eternal Renewal, Life Infusion)

OK, Enough input from me. More later!

Ask me questions, build and play with it. I want to hear from you!

PS: I am playing this deck on my play-test account. I have 2 play-test accounts. If you see my in-game names as below, I am playing with the respective deck and not this deck.
    very very nice deck.a sure winner when going first.but going second probably means that on T3 u probably have blake/aldon or puwen/jasmine across.this means that EVERY creature u bring gets minched meat...at least until late turns with double cast,but then again there are more jasmines out by then.i respect the synergy of DR.in fact santa is not turning the game to your benefit unless if u go first and play it at turn 2 to fill your hand.DR gives 3 cards AND deals damage. please explain how u would play against a human -anyone u lik- that starts first and drops blake/aldon or puwen/jasmine. i sense that this deck counts on turn4 when your opponent plays a weapon/item after minching your bad wolf/medusil.then u cast a shriek, throw a chimera and use ability to his allies.what happens if he doesnt draw item but just throws an aldon in.or wht happens if your T3 ally gets card killed without delivering damage to the allies making them killable later by ability? thanx in advance!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    corrections:
    1)like not ''lik''...!
    2)obviously no chimera can be cast at T4 with a shriek.let's say a keldor instead

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GondorianDotCom View Post
    2 more quick matches played (Gwen and Ter Adun), with the DRs swapped out for 2 Bad Santa, 2 Eternal Renewal, and I won both. Those 4 new cards came up early, so I sacced them all. And I never used any of the DRs in the first two games either.

Therefore, I think the last 4 slots are bonus ones. I'll stick my my current version for now, but I might end up swapping those spare slots to max out Gargoyle and Medusil or add in some Bellas.
    +1. Agree.

The last 4 slots seems like bonus ones. I played another 10+ matches and I sac all of the last 4 cards. (Either Santa, Soul reaper, or Ripper)

Will continue to test. Lost to a Gwen who went first turn and had a perfect start with Blake/Aldon + Beetle Bow in turn 4, rapid fire on turn 5.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    the biggest downside to this deck is it can really struggle if it loses tempo. if they fill the board with allies, it's real hard to come back.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by otto7 View Post
    very very nice deck.a sure winner when going first.but going second probably means that on T3 u probably have blake/aldon or puwen/jasmine across.

this means that EVERY creature u bring gets minched meat...at least until late turns with double cast,but then again there are more jasmines out by then.

i respect the synergy of DR.in fact santa is not turning the game to your benefit unless if u go first and play it at turn 2 to fill your hand.

DR gives 3 cards AND deals damage. please explain how u would play against a human -anyone u like- that starts first and drops blake/aldon or puwen/jasmine.

i sense that this deck counts on turn4 when your opponent plays a weapon/item after minching your bad wolf/medusil.

then u cast a shriek, throw a chimera and use ability to his allies.what happens if he doesnt draw item but just throws an aldon in.or wht happens if your T3 ally gets card killed without delivering damage to the allies making them killable later by ability? thanx in advance!
    Ok, here comes the heavy stuff. Ready?

If I go second and my opponent casts a Blake on his second turn, I do not summon Medusil/Keldor. I summon Gargoyle. The Gargoyles will not fall to the Blake/Aldon combo. If I do not have Gargoyle, no problem, I drop a Chimera on turn 4.

Anyway, the Blake/Aldon combo is weak against this deck. Zaladar's ability will kill off Blake and weaken Aldon to 1 life.

Puwen/Jasmine is a little complicated - but once again, Zaladar's ability will more or less take care of it.

Bad Santa - DO NOT cast them on turn 2!!!

I will sac them if I have them early. Their purpose is for late game. For example, cast Bad Santa on turn 7, draw 3, and cast a Ripper/Plasma on the SAME TURN. Hence the Ripper can be used on the same turn or the Plasma can be used on the next turn.

Or on turn 5, if I have no allies. Bad Santa would draw me 3 cards (high chance of drawing a 3cc ally) and cast it on the SAME TURN.

Regarding Bad Wolf, just to clarify, there is no Bad Wolf in the deck. It's weaker when used in a Board Control deck like this one. Medusil and Keldor and Gargolye can control the board better.

To answer your queries more accurately regarding the game play/allies, 2 cards must be discussed. Mind Control and Plasma.

Mind Control - one of the crucial cards in the deck. T5 is the crucial turning point. If your opponnent went first, at turn 5, he can cast Raven or Plasma. On your turn, you must cast Mind Control and that completely changes the game tide.

Which is why this deck is 30 c. not 40. I must draw Mind Control early. Do not use MC on weenies, unless it will change the game tide for you. Save it for the fatties.

Plasma - Another crucial aspect. I want to have all 4 in the deck. I will not have only 3, it's not enough. Why? It's another game changer and deals the MOST amount of damage to my opponent. I will try to cast it out as early as I can.

For example, if I have 3 allies in my hand on turn 5 that I can summon, Plasma is the only choice. Once it is out, the opponent cannot cast out any other ally, except Aeon. Anything else will be blasted to bits.

What about Aeon then? That's the part why I wanted Ripper in this deck. I am not saying that its automatically the best choice. But if my oppoment plays Aeon and I have Plasma, the Ripper deals the crucial 1 damage needed to kill off Aeon. (Ripper = 2 damage, Plasma = 7 damage to Aeon, killing off Aeon, DO NOT let Plasma take the 3 damage from Aeon)

Ok, play on and let me know if you run into other issues!